Glenn's First 90g Reef Build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by RedHeckle, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Screwtape

Fishies collected:
    Might be a type of vermetid snail. Usually harmless but the net/web they use to catch food can sometimes annoy corals.

2. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for that, I believe you're right. Just gotta watch where the "web" goes; shouldn't be a big problem since there's only one *fingers-crossed* and it's on a small finger of tonga branch.

Cheers,
    Glenn

3. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    First Corals!!!!

Yeah that to Jimmy 4, I have my first every corals; green-striped mushrooms!!

[​IMG]

Still working on taking coral pics; the mushrooms have gotten more color after this picture was taken.

And for my wife's Mothers Day gift:
    A Six-line Wrasse and purple-tipped frogspawn - she loves them both!!! She loves starring at the frogspawn sway in the water current; she can't wait until "Sixy" is out of quarantine. Thanks to Jake at DA for these guys!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have to rearrange rock to provide more future placements of corals - the cave thing wasn't the best idea, you lose real estate to place corals - lesson learned.

Cheers,
    Glenn

#103 RedHeckle, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  4. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    It's been awhile...

Well, it's been forever and a day since my last update so here's a quick run down:

- Lost 6-line wrasse while in quarantine, I never got rid of the fungus and I think the meds did not help overall.

- Moved around the Duncan and Frogspawn to find a "happier" place for them.

- Picked up some pink pulsing xenia, green button polys, kenya tree, and a free piece of montipora cap.

- Wife wanted fish to replace wrasse, decided on Kole Tang. Nice size ~4in and it survived quarantine! "Max" has been in display tank for 2 weeks now.

[​IMG]

- Added auto top-off system: 13g trash can on left side of stand, Aqualifter pump on top of can lid, float sensors wired to RKL - FYI - I LOVE having this auto top-off set up!!! No more daily refills running up/down the basement.

I'm going to take new pics once I clean up the display tank a bit, I have folks coming over a few weeks.

Current to do list:
    - Fall maintenance (ie: cleaning) of skimmer, return pump and sump
    - Generate a spreadsheet to better track test results, tank history, maintenance.
    - Attempt to get the Kole Tang to eat other things beside stuff in tank and Nori (he's a picky eater right now) - need to get some flake food.
    - Time to change out bulbs (about 10 mn old)
    - Save up $$$ for Fall Frag Swap!!!! Need more corals!!! ;)
    - Replace a Koralia 4 with MP40 (once I receive it, found a great deal).

Cheers,
    Glenn

5. mrblackis300

Fishies collected:
    Nice Kole Tang. I've been wanting one for awhile, but I'm a little iffy to add one with my Purple and Yellow Tang.

6. diermmen

diermmen Miner cancels Drink; Interrupted by Carp
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I had a yellow and the kole together; they got along great. It really comes down to tank size and who else is in there. :biggrin:

7. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Just a quick update:

T-5s have been changed out with the same setup but I'm using a Fiji Purple instead of the ATI pro color.

After performing a full skimmer maintenance teardown a few weeks ago, I realized my cabinet space is kinda tight and getting the skimmer out requires me to pretty much take everything apart (ie: cup, pump, pvc). After all that I still end up spilling water onto the floor.

So, I felt that it was enough of a pain that I'd might neglect maintenance of it. With that a short trip to BRS and pick up my new Bubble Magnus NAC7 skimmer! It's going on two weeks running now and I'm really enjoying it. It's definitely quieter and I can put and take out the skimmer from the sump as one piece. I also liked that I can take apart the whole thing for a detailed cleaning. Plus, it's pulling nice skimmate; though I think the Octx 200 was more efficient.

I've also picked up some nice corals from Ray's fun auctions and from a trade with Jager for the Pico I had won at SWE's Halloween party.
    - Devil's Armor
    - Green Scoly
    - Red/orange acan
    - Purple/green acan
    - Elegance coral (wife and I LOVE this one!)
    - Chalice frag (these are too cool looking)

I've changed out the Koralia 4s for 1 MP40w and a Evolution 1400. I can hear the MP40 ramp up now that the skimmer noise is less. But the flow is amazing and many of the corals have "perked up". The Evo 1400 is very quiet though I've been tinkering with placement to get the flow I like from it.

My wife and her mom (who's now with us to help Monika out during chemo) just love the new additions for reef therapy. Her mom is always staring at the corals and other livestock, just mesmerized.

Things I'm working on:
    1) with more space in skimmer section of sump, I've move my "sump" rock to that section which leaves the center section open - so I'm debating on a refugium for the section.

2) rework the landscape on the right side of the tank. Not trying for the "Ange Rock Rework Award" ;) but it's just not ideal for coral placement. Planning on making some form of tabletop for this side.

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to get pictures of the new additions by this weekend as time allows.

:beerchug:
    Glenn

8. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Updated Pics

Sump with new Bubble Mangus NAC7 skimmer and free space in middle for a refugium:
    [​IMG]

Skimmate after 5 days, a little wet I think; will need to adjust to dry it down:
    [​IMG]

From Ray's Reef:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Duncan and Blasto are doing well:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chalice from Jager, unfortunately it got a bit banged up when I was bringing it home - I'm doing daily feeding to help bounce it back
    [​IMG]

FTS
    [​IMG]

9. FOR3VER_3XILED

Fishies collected:
    did you get the kole tang to eat anything else? Mine only eats algae in the tank and doesnt even try nori so I was hoping you had a solution haha.

10. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    We've had the Kole since September and it took about a month for it to regularly eat the nori. He'll eat Spectrum K pellets (I think that's what it is) and frozen mysis easily.

He initially pecked at the nori if I had in on/near the bottom (I think the clip freaked him out, so I rubber banded nori to some rubble at first - plus it's how SWE fed him), I then moved the clip higher over several days until it was near the top of the tank.
    He seems to perfer the nori in the later part of the day, so I put some out around 6pm and take out the leftovers before I go to bed (dusk at 9pm/lights out at 11pm).

I've read of folks rubbing garlic on the nori but I havent' tried it. From what I've read, they'll eventually get it that nori is food - just need to be used to what it looks like and the clip/rock that's holding it.

FYI - I hate my suction cup clip, going to convert or buy a magentic one. The clip always falls off the glass after a few hours.

How long have you had your tang?

11. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Noise comparison Octopus Extreme 200 and BM NAC7

Here's some video comparing noise levels of my former Reef Octopus Extreme 200 and my current Bubble Magnus NAC7. No return pump is running but MP40 and Evolution 1400 powerheads are running in DT.

Recorded from about 1.5ft away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvd4P1VtN3A

12. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Took a cool very early morning shot of Scoly fully open and very hungry!

[​IMG]

13. Alunai

Alunai Fedora Chick-Dream big!

Fishies collected:
    Beautiful tank. Love that chalice!

14. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Alunai - thanks!!! :beerchug:

FYI - Wife and I spent 2.5hrs last night rearranging (again) the right side of the tank. Pictures later tonight!

15. Kyle52288

Fishies collected:
  16. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Kyle,

LOL, thanks! Believe me it's not that great, but it is better than before. More like stepped pile of rocks so that there were better places to put coral.

The large tonga branch was difficult to place and I accidentally broke a small piece off trying to get rid of a large vermatid (?) snail. It's web was getting pretty large (4-5in in diameter) and has been a problem.

I'm thinking that the top of the right side needs an arch, so I'm going to see what I can piece together from dry rock from either SWE or BRS.

I know, it's easier with a picture :) I'll get one up tonight.

17. Kyle52288

Fishies collected:
    That's cool you got the wife workin with you on it! I love the dry figi from brs it was really easy to aquascape.

18. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Hah, yeah, she rocks - besides it's easier to rearrange rock with two people on a 90g !

Did I mention she enjoys video games? We're replaying the entire Resident Evil game series right now - just started the original Resident Evil; plus we're replaying RE5 - she wants unlimited RPGs!! :biggrin:

19. Kyle52288

Fishies collected:
    That's awesome!! It's always nice when the wife enjoys the same things. Mine used to play halo with me alot, but I have not played that in a while. I have been more into the Call of Duty lately. When she plays COD she dies right away in multiplayer so she gave up on that, but at least she tried.

20. Alunai

Alunai Fedora Chick-Dream big!

Fishies collected:
    That's like me playing combat arms. XD I was horrible at it, and could never even dream of beating my (now ex) boyfriend, but I played it because he enjoyed it.

Currently, I'm enjoying learning about cars from my boyfriend as he does custom interior work on my Pontiac. He enjoys teaching me about something he loves, I enjoy learning from him and of course, enjoying the rad new interior in my car! =D