Glenn's First 90g Reef Build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by RedHeckle, Oct 21, 2009.

1. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Thanks!!! I had some other pictures of the frags that tommylee22 gave me but they turned out like crud. Will try again this weekend.

Pretty much everything is doing well. I did have one acan (reddish/orange center) recede quite a bit before I did an iodine dip (other dips didn't seem to work) and started daily direct feeding with finely chopped mysis and reef chili. It's finally bouncing back and growing again.

The frogspawn has had a hard time bouncing back from a 4 day power outage during last fall's big storm. It doesn't expand as much pre-power outage but I have moved it around a bit to find it's happy spot. I still think I have it near too much flow, I'm going to move it tonight to a lower flow area.

My next addition is going to be a fish - the current contender is a Midas blenny. I just need to set up the QT this weekend and let it run for a bit before I look into purchasing.

I used to consider a sand-sifting goby but after some discussion about my sugar fine sand; it was decided against. So I may pick up another sand-sifting starfish instead - the one I have already is really fun to watch and the kiddies get a kick out of it also.
    :beerchug:

2. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Built my own frag rack :)

Used some egg crate and an old mag float I had laying around. The egg crate is super-glued to the float with some scrap plastic bits to make the rack fairly level. I also smoothed out any sharp edges/points with a Dremel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A thank you to Bill (mrbill) for the green poci! The main reason why I made the frag rack after cleaning up the one huge piece he gave me. :beerchug:

3. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    A thanks to Ryan (curlyq) for the teal trumpet coral which needed some TLC.

It's bouncing back well and here's shot of it ready to feed with tentacles out:

[​IMG]

Thanks Ryan! :beerchug:

4. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Just wanted to let folks know I'm still reefing; just really rough year since March - with wife's medical condition, got laid-off in August but found work in early September.

Here's the tank so far, not much; just maintenance mode:
    [​IMG]

Biggest change is 2 120w 20k Evolution LED modules from Ray (love them LEDs Ray!!!)

Hope to post more updates later this week.

Cheers,
    Glenn

#144 RedHeckle, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  5. RaysReef

RaysReef Reefing made easy
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Hi Glenn, glad to have you back posting again ;) we missed ya buddy. I wish your wife the very best and there is always support here when you need us. See you at the swap and keep us updated. :beerchug:

6. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    The left side:

[​IMG]

Right side:
    [​IMG]

Fishies:
    [​IMG]

7. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Still around :)

Greetings Everyone!!!

Just wanted folks to know that I'm still reefing, though I've been in basic maintenance mode for a while. I'm planning to do some major clean up over the next several weeks. Current issue is the dreaded green bubble algae.

Sorry for going dark for so long. It's been crazy over the past 2yrs. Layoffs, life, kids, wife :) Plus some other hobbies - R/C flying and now R/C truck racing. Monika's doing well for the most part - she my Rockstar!!. Getting laid off in September 2011, really put me in a weird spot and now the job I have is burning me out. Tank definitely needs some TLC and once I start clean up I'll have some FIF and some freebies.

Love the new website!!! Miss seeing and chatting with everyone!!! Hopefully this year I can help out again at the frag swaps!!!

Cheers!

Glenn

8. RaysReef

RaysReef Reefing made easy
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Glenn, welcome back bud...Glad to see you still in the hobby. :beerchug:

9. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Let the 90g rebuild begin. Starting with saving corals (moving them to my 20g temporary tank) from the dreaded green bubble algae and acid bath of all rocks. New equipment = Apex controller and 2 Kessil A360WEs.

10. OP
    RedHeckle

Fishies collected:
    Yup still around and trying to get back into things. In summary, life happens that sometimes puts all things to a stop and only chaos reigns. My 90gal is in poor state from said life chaos. I'm attempting a rebuild again (tank and life) and I've moved what corals I could to an Evo 13.5. Maybe after a bottle of 30 year old tawny port, I'll tell you my story but for now; just know that I'm not giving up on my 90gal :)