Green pond = unhappy wife. point me in the right direction

Discussion in 'All things freshwater related' started by curlyq, Jun 8, 2015.

1. curlyq

Fishies collected:
    I'm guessing if there's a reef club in the area, there are also a bunch of pond people. Anyone know where the lurk on the 'net?

I have a small (150 gallon) pond by my front door. I just re-setup my filter for this year, and is yielding terrible results. I have all from from a QO3000 going through a 5 gallon bucket of bioballs. I was hoping the bioballs would outcompete the algae, but no dice. What's next? My current WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is fairly low for major changes.

Due to other recent unexpected costs, my pond budget was nearly drained, so DIY cheap/free fixes are best.

Thanks!

2. cheezybuda

cheezybuda I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Any fish in it?
    You could do some lanthanum chloride. You would be able to be fairly laid back with its usage if there was no livestock

3. OP
    curlyq

Fishies collected:
    I have two fish. My 3 year old named them spider and grasshopper - so they are here to stay.

4. Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Large water change and cover it for a few days with a sheet of plywood maybe? That or you could plant water plants in it to out compete the algae? Wisteria, and hornwort are good fast growers that I have seen around quite a bit that can be easily taken out of the pond when they start to over grow. Lilly's look good and grow slow but soak up huge amounts of nutrients.

Is it just green water or actual algae growing? Green water if you just started it up in the last couple weeks just needs to be waited out until the bacteria grows in the bio balls the blackout might be good for that.

Did you have the bio balls cycling at all this winter?

A good source for freshwater information in Minnesota is minnfish they have a large amount of info on ponds and planted tanks if you aren't able to get the answers you are looking for on here but there are also many people here that have both fresh and salt that might be able to help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 Bschowa, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  5. OP
    curlyq

Fishies collected:
    The water is quite green - and has been getting progressively worse as the temperature rises. All of the bioballs were fresh this spring. I put them in the pond 4 weeks ago (though no water was moving through the bucket for the first 2 weeks).

I have a heavy fountain-thing in the center of the pond - a full blackout with plywood might be pretty tough to do. I'll check the WAF on that topic tonight :) I don't have hardly any plants besides some arrowleaf that I found in a marsh last summer. Are there other local plants I can "obtain" easily that will help?

6. Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I edited my original post to help a bit more while you were replying lol

7. Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I would say in about two weeks your bio balls should catch up with your nutrient load and the green water will start to go away on its own (about a month to cycle freshwater with fish in system) while you wait I would definitely check for ammonia if it starts to build up you will need to do a water change. The plus with freshwater water changes is you can water your plants with it and they love the extra fish poop/nitrates in the water :)

8. OP
    curlyq

Fishies collected:
    I'm not too worried about ammonia. 150 gallons, 2 small goldfish, and I'm not feeding anything - they get mosquito larvae. Come to think of it, I didn't do a water change all year last summer.

I guess patience is a virtue for FW too! Maybe I'll water some plants tonight, and just wait out the rest.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Adding plants to compete with the algae for nutrients is going to be your best bet.

If you're wanting local plants, you can find horsetail and (smaller) cattails very easily. Be careful though with how you plant them. Both species grow very quickly in the warm summer waters and can become invasive if allowed into the surrounding soil.

But you can find a great selection of pond plants at many locals stores also. Water lettuce and water hyacinth are great at pulling nutrients straight out of the water; as they are floating plants and the roots are in direct contact with the body of water.

In addition to pond plants, many landscaping plants do well in wet environments. One of the plants that I really enjoyed during my time with ponds was the cardinal flower. The do well in moist soil (so you would have to have the pot at the water's surface) and have a very bright red flowering stalk of flowers that attract hummingbirds. Also many of the iris plants are water tolerant and have beautiful flowers. There was also a creeping plant (like a sedum) that I used to keep in pots that grew out over the water and created a nice mat of yellow flowers; but I'm blanking on the name.

So... I would suggest plants, plants and more plants.

10. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Drop this in there, and in a week you'll have clear water. http://www.amazon.com/Green-Killing...96274&sr=8-6&keywords=fish+tank+uv+sterilizer

You may be able to get away with the 9W version for $40 too. Algae is very easy to kill with UV. My grandparents have a 300 gallon indoor pond, and any time the water is getting cloudy, they turn the UV on for a day to clear it up. Their UV system is built into the pond filter I bought for them, but the one I linked to will work fine as long as the intake doesn't clog.

11. marty9876

marty9876 Something funny
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Yea uv really works well for algae control

12. jjwhiteboy

jjwhiteboy I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    uv works like a charm

13. LisanDan

Fishies collected:
    Barley bails work perfect, I have a 120 pond by my door and put one 6 inch around by about a foot long below my water fall and gets rid of my green water with in a week.

14. ironhedd

ironhedd Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    My vote goes for the UV sterilizer as well.

15. Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    From my understanding his wife did not want him to spend a bunch of money to fix this issue, yes a uv would be his best option but that is also something he would have to buy unless someone had a uv filter and pump laying around they were willing to borrow to him for a couple of days.

16. Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Do you know why or how this works? Very intriguing

17. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    #17 BEAV9900, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I would have never guessed that, but one treatment can last for up to 6 months that a pretty good upside

19. SvRider

SvRider I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
  20. ironhedd

ironhedd Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I get it... my wife would prefer I spend nothing! ;) However, I did spend $31.99 (with shipping included) for mine, and I consider that cheap as far as sterilizers go, considering a comparable coralife turbo-twist costs somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5x as much).

• Informative Informative x 1