Heater interference with WiFi ?!?!?!? Need help/advice

Discussion in 'Advanced Topics' started by rkolo750, Dec 17, 2015.

1. rkolo750

rkolo750 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Hello Team,

I am in need of some help. I have two systems set up at school.

specs:
    125 running a 200 watt eheim heater and an unknown 300 watt titanium heater

90ish gallon acrylic tank running a 200 watt aqueon heater and a 100 watt aqueon heater

The tech department is having problems with the wifi in my area of the building and the only new items are the tanks. The wifi is intermittently interrupted (works fine for a while then chokes down to nearly nothing in an apparent random fashion). The only thing we can come up with is the heaters kicking on and off. We have very anecdotal evidence from me unplugging the heaters and the wifi coming back online but so far have a sample size of one..........

so, calling all techies.........

have you seen this before?

what can be done?

needless to say, some people are not very happy about the wifi interruption............ If we can't get it figured out the tanks might have to get taken down...... which I would rather hit myself in the head with a rubber mallet after just moving everything and getting it running smoothish.

thanks

robb
    IMG_1981 (1).JPG IMG_1982 (1).JPG

2. Travis Dragan

Travis Dragan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Are your routers/switches located inside the sump?

3. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Never heard of it, and have a hard time imagining it as possible. Do you have lights over the tank that use a wifi signal for control? E.g., my chinese led is programed via a wifi signal so it shows up as wifi source. Any other wirelessly controlled/synced things on the tank, e.g. vortech?

Also look at where the router is. Is there a Microwave oven next to the router maybe, or other large appliances?. Wireless phones?

4. cypho

cypho I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    If any aquarium equipment was messing with the WIFI signal it would most likely be the hailides. You can also rule out anything submerged because any noise they create would be absorbed by the water.

The other thing I would consider is the buildings electrical. Could you be using so much electricity when everything is on at one time that you are causing a brownout?

But my first guess would be the router is defective, overburdened, overheating, or has bad ethernet cable going to it. I would not even look at the aquarium as a potential factor until the router AND wiring going to the router have been replaced. My guess is that they are blaming you instead of admitting to their own laziness or incompetence.

5. OP
    rkolo750

rkolo750 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Router is actually in the room next to mine, so no to the routers/switches in the sump ;)

nothing on either system is on a wifi signal of any kind.

The comment about halides being the problem was my initial though as well........ the interference is intermittent and has nothing to do with any of the lights switching on or off.

today, the tech guys brought in a computer that picked up some sort of interference...... and sat by the tank for 20 minutes, when I checked in between classes they said "there are unique anomalies here that we don't pick up in any other part of the building" again, apparently random pattern of starting and stopping.

Heres the part I don't understand, my students have never experienced a problem on their phones or on chromebooks when I check them out. The problem is when my neighbor checks out the laptops, her students can't even get logged in to the computers.

please pitch me your idea's ......

6. Gary

Gary Started in '96
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Typically motors emit most of the interference when we go to UL for testing electrical noise emissions through my work. I would look at your largest pump as the likely source. The electrical noise can even emanate from cables going to the motors as the pass through the air into the tank. The IT group could obtain a simple sniffer that they can use to figure this out if you have multiple pumps running. Going to one of the in-sump DC return pumps might be all you need to quiet the tank down electrically. You may also have a grounding problem causing this.

I guess you could put up a screen around the tank to block the noise if all else fails. Tight mesh copper screening will do the trick nicely but any metal screen will work. Make sure you ground the screen to your electrical system. You may only need to put a screen on the lower half of your rack to shield the building from tank motor interference. You could also try shielding the cables themselves as a bundle using braided shield sleeving.

#6 Gary, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  7. nubbs

nubbs Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    If you have some battery back ups / uninterruptable power supplies around try plugging your hardware into them. I have found them to be great filters if something is creating noise on a power grid

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. OP
    rkolo750

rkolo750 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Nubb, we do and that has been mentioned before by one of the tech crew as a possibility. So, I think that will be step two. They put an additional hub in my room seeing if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all the help team!