Help me chose a Camera

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Jonty, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Jonty

Jonty I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Trying to decide between.
    1. Canon mark 5DS Mark 4 with a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens
    2. Pentax 645Z with a D FA 645 Macro 90mm f/2.8 ED AW SR Lens

Mainly used for Tank shots and casual outdoor photography, I used a Canon 1Ds for years and got out and sold body and lenses. (big mistake in hindsight)

#1 Jonty, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Hello: You could try Ben Nicholls, a TCMAS member. He taught a camera class last year for the members. Good luck

3. Travis Dragan

Travis Dragan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I like Cannons, the Mark d is a good choice in my opinion, i have little experience with the pentax

4. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    One suggestion made to me was that if you get the same brand of camera as other people you know, you have a resource for user experiences and possible lens trades.

I have a Canon and recently picked up a used Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens (you were there); and I really like it. Not that I know an extensive amount about getting the best use from the camera or lens, I am pleased with the photos that I can take.

5. Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I would Go with the cannon(might be biased), especially if you already had one that you liked, knowing the basics of the interface already will jump start the process. I've shot a 60d and 7d before I sold them. Wish I would have kept the 60d now that my corals are starting to grow.

If it works as well as the mark 3 the mark 4 will make professional photographers who wish they could buy one cry when they see you are using it for tank shots and casual walk around shots ;)can't imagine the awesome pictures you will get with the 4K settings but then I'll have to upgrade my tv just to look at pictures and watch your videos in true form!

Have you heard a release date on the mark 4?

#5 Bschowa, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  6. OP
    Jonty

Jonty I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  7. Flounder

Flounder Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Tg2 for coral shots. Great underwater camera I've used for years.

8. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Mirrorless is something to consider. That is where a lot of the focus is now. I just picked up a Sony A6000.

9. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    If you want a full frame camera that shoots high resolution photos you should check out the A7R II. 42mpix, 4K video, in body image stabilization, back illuminated sensor going up to 102,000 ISO.

I'm trying to decide if I want the A7R or A7S. The s version does better 4k video and shoots even better in the dark going up to 400,000 ISO but only has 12mpix photos

10. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Sony and Olympus both have some excellent mirrorless cameras. The mirror is really a holdover from from film days. Phase detection auto focus and optical viewfinder are really the only reasons for it in DSLRs. With the advances in both for mirrorless there is really no advantage in DSLRs other than the large lens libraries.

Once you drop the mirror you reduce size of the camera and lenses, plus there is no vibrations from the moving mirror. You also get a lot more in camera features like HDR, panoramas, subject tracking, face detection, and others.

11. ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens Xenia lover
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Canon's 5D Mark IV is still yet unannounced; the rumor mill has been running for a year or so but no official specs yet. The 5DS and 5DS R are studio-targeted branches from the base 5D line up. You'll appreciate the resolution of the 5DS models if you dabble in landscapes but those resolutions aren't strictly necessary for reef photography. The 100mm f/2.8L is hands down the best general macro lens that Canon makes for our purposes.

I've never used the Pentax, but if fish photography is a primary goal I would pass on it with that maximum 3 frames per second continuous rate especially if you're used to using something fast like what's found in the 1D line. Even 6fps can be painful sometimes; I often miss a cool moment in between frames.

Mirrorless is definitely an option. I own a Sony α6000 and it's a great little camera. That being said, If I'm doing any serious shooting I'm using my DSLR. The ergonomics and optical viewfinder are necessities for me, but that's different for everyone. The full frame options that Eric mentioned are probably your best bets if you do decide to go that route.

For what it's worth, I'm also in the market for a new body in the Canon market and chose to wait for a 5D Mk IV or similar.