HELP PLEASE: Saltwater Kenya Tree Cora

Discussion in 'Young reefing forum' started by xaivang, Mar 11, 2013.

1. xaivang

Fishies collected:
    Hello there TCMAS people, I have a couple question that i want to ask if someone can please help me out. i have a biocube 14 gallon and it has a Kenya Tree Cora in there. everyday when i look at it it looks really nice and big when it opens. but now for the past couple days it just been looking like its dying each day. should i give it some kind of supplement? or what should i do. i just did a water change and not sure what its happening... once again im new to this hobby. i just started 1 month ago.

2. scubaspew

scubaspew Starfish
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    It's likely that the water changed improved your water quality! Kenya trees supposedly feed on nitrates in the tank so it is common for them to pissed for a few days after a large water change, it'll bounce back, you can't kill those things! Seriously I've always felt like it's a good barometer for water change time, when that thing starts growing, I always do a water change! I don't have one anymore but when I did. This is just what I've experienced, there is little to no scientific research that proves what I am saying that I have found, though I have found many others that have had similar experiences with this coral.

3. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    They can go through stages and look like crap for a few days to a couple of weeks then completely back to normal.

However, if your still concerned you want to do the feel test. Now the base portion will always be harder and less rubbery but if you give a gentle rub and it doesn't just flake off and dissintegrate then it's just fine. If it does start to fall apart with a rub then it's in real trouble.

4. curlyq

Fishies collected:
    Your tank is also very new. It could very well still be going through a cycle. What are your water parameters?

5. Myclang

Myclang BOOM BOOM

Fishies collected:
    Most Kenya trees shrivel up when theres little to no nitrates/phosphates like scubaspew mentioned. They do shrivel up every few months when they shed the slime coat, and or close up branches before the branch drops. You really can't kill it. It could grow in the dark, and probably in freshwater.... just let it be, it'll bounce back....

6. General0

Fishies collected:
    Mine normally does this when it's going to drop a few babies or after a water change. I have found them growing in my sump with just a 6500K CFL bulb and doing very well! It should be fine.

7. pLee.dCoP

Fishies collected:
    I had my similiar somewhat to cliff's but my never drop babies. Good luck

8. wardda

Fishies collected:
    I agree with the water change opinion.

But to be safe, I would say you should check your parameters as well. A few months back I got a bad box of salt and I had gotten lazy and wasn't testing as I had my water change schedule down and parameters were always in check. Then corals started looking bad. I tested and ALK was way way low, I had to supplement Alk until I got through that box of salt.

9. shanej

Fishies collected:
    IVE GOT BABIES ALL OVER MY TANK, LOL. THIS GUY IS BUSY... IM ON BOARD W/ YOU CANT KILL THIS CORAL. I JUST DID A TANK SWAP, MINI CYCLE.. I THOUGHT I LOST ONE OF THREE BUT HEGH A WEEK LATER AND FULL BLOOM.

10. TwinCities Dan

Fishies collected:
    ^^^ Why are you yelling at us!? :gay1: :tongue:

11. Myclang

Myclang BOOM BOOM

Fishies collected:
    He's making sure you can hear him over in coon rapids Dan...:biglaugh2: