Home made Fish Food party details/instructions

Discussion in 'DIY Forums' started by acharpenter, Mar 31, 2012.

1. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    For the sake of getting all of it together into one place for future parties - here ya go!

The following is the fish food party recipe and items needed for approximately 15 people. At $25.00 per person – this makes about 3.5 cups of food each

Note – that price is based on getting the ingredients at cost through an LFS and buying the seafood through Costco.

You will want to have the party somewhere with plenty of room, access to water, won’t mind a mess and won’t mind the fishy smell. LFS and garages are ideal

Depending on how organized - you can expect the actual party to run from 2 to 3 hours total from start to finsh.

Ingredients:

16oz Kent Zoe
    1oz Garlic extreme (concentrated one)
    4oz freeze dried copepods
    4oz freeze dried rotifers
    2oz dried daphnia
    32oz Supreme or PE Mysis
    24oz brine shrimp
    16oz Spirulina powder
    500ml Selco
    750g Cyclop-eeze brick
    15 Nori sheets (or so)

6 bags frozen uncooked shrimp
    3 bags frozen scallops
    3 bags frozen misc. whitefish (Tilapia, Cod etc..)
    2-3 large stalks Broccoli
    1 2 lb bag baby carrots

2 boxes of 1 quart freezer bags

Items needed:

3 - ½c measuring cups
    3 - Spatulas
    12 - cutting boards
    12 - knives (for chopping, paring knives and such are not ideal)
    6 - 1 gallon containers (ice cream pails, bowls etc.)
    3 - 6 foot tables
    12 - chairs
    1 - 20 gallon tub – for mixing the final product (a 5 gallon pail will work as well but not ideal)
    1 - Meat Grinder for chopping vegetables (can also use a food processor or chop by hand but not ideal)
    2 - Strainers (for rinsing food items in RO/DI)
    1 - Roll paper towels
    1 - Box Nitrile or Latex gloves
    1 - Paper shredder (for shredding the Nori
    5-10 gallons RO/DI for rinsing

Important - make sure to defrost all items (via refrigerator) beforehand, or you will have some very unhappy people with cold paws and will also spend extra time trying to mix up frozen ingredients

You want to chop the ingredients to about 1/8” – or there about. Just remember that you want it small enough so that fish can eat the pieces whole. You will end up with some slightly larger than that (hopefully not a lot if the choppers are chopping fine enough), but not to worry – most tanks have snails; hermit crabs etc. that will gladly take care of those as well.
    Do NOT use a processor for the seafood – it will turn it into sludge/slurry

Set up 2 tables with 6 cutting board/knife stations each for chopping and add 3 - 1 gallon containers to each. 1 for garbage, 1 for raw seafood and 1 for chopped seafood.

1 table set up with 20 gallon tub or 5 gallon pail and meat grinder or food processor and shredder. As well as all the dry ingredients

Rinse out seafood in RO/DI and divide evenly amongst the chopping tables

Rinse/strain Mysis with RO/DI (line strainer with paper towel if strainer is not fine enough

Main table mixes all the ingredients into the main tub (note, a paint stirrer and drill work great for this – make sure if you go this route that the paint stirrer is brand new).
    Main table also:
    Runs vegetables through meat grinder/processor (remember, small enough that fish can eat the piece but be careful not to turn it into a slurry
    Runs Nori through shredder
    Periodically grabs the chopped food pails and empties them into the main tub
    Continually cleans up as needed and helps out where ever needed
    These people are also responsible for bagging up the final product​

Chopping tables chop up all seafood – that’s about it

Once all ingredients are chopped and final product is thoroughly mixed up – the main table will have 3 people filling each bag with ½ cup food. (Make sure it’s an even/level ½ cup per bag).

Also it is best is to have 2 additional people flipping the top 3rd of the bags open/out so the food can be added to each bag by the bag fillers without making a mess all over the outside of the bags.

While the food is being bagged – everyone else helps clean up the knives, cutting boards, tables and pails.

Once bagging is complete – count out bags and divide evenly amongst participants.

I have found that there usually a few extra bags after the division is complete. I have always given them to the LFS that is hosting in thanks for allowing us to make a mess of their shop.

For in bag storage – open bag and smooth out food to make bag lay flat while getting out as much air as possible before resealing. Pile flat on top of each other into freezer. Cut out sections into chunks as needed for feeding.

Some members like to place food into small ice cube trays and freeze them that way. You can also use egg crate to freeze into cubes. Lay wax paper out – lay egg crate on top – smooth food into the egg crate and lay wax paper over top.

Members also vacuum seal the frozen food to extend its freezer life.

As long as the food is stored correctly to avoid freezer burn – it can last a year no problem.

Some members add additional ingredients to supplement their food before freezing it. Such as extra Mysis, brine or Nutra Ova etc.

I heavily feed my 40 gallon tank and 3-4 cups easily last me a year.

#1 acharpenter, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ironman

ironman Mr flabs of steel!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    This should be stickeyed in the DIY forum. Also, does anybody know how to do a nutritional rundown on the food? Also, I think a meat grinder would make quick work of the sea food.

#2 ironman, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  3. Kepler

Kepler Former: Koletang

Fishies collected:
    What about the fish eggs, crabs, mini-fish things, Walmart vitamins, cuttlefish and shellfish? Or did the recipe change again LOL.

4. Nanofreak79

Nanofreak79 zoapalythoaddict

Fishies collected:
    Yes, seems to be missing things that were in the last one I attended. Speaking of the vitamins and fish eggs, others I can see being different depending on the shopper!

#4 Nanofreak79, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. Username not found

Fishies collected:
    there are hundreds of different fish food recipies floating around not only on this site but others as well...

i just go to coastal seafood buy whatever looks good and use it... the recipie changes every time.....

6. Alunai

Alunai Fedora Chick-Dream big!

Fishies collected:
    Stickie it!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

7. derek121760

Fishies collected:
    Anyone end up with more food than they need and would like to trade a little for a candy cane frag or hammer frag?

8. CaptainGreg

Fishies collected:
    My preference is more fresh sea food and less freeze dry stuff. I am going to need to make some soon. I like the recipies that was about two parties ago that was held south of the Twin Cites where there seem to be more fresh sea food. I bet it is cheaper than the freeze dry stuff...

9. justd1

Fishies collected:
    If I understand the above correctly, each member should have gotten 7 ziploc bags of food; I only received 3 bags (1 1/2 cups) from DA.
    Either I need 4 more bags or this is a typo.:confused:
    Can someone clarify this for me?
    :beerchug:

10. OP
    acharpenter

Fishies collected:
    We used 1 cup measures this time around (and always have) - which left a bunch extra that could not be divided evenly amongst the members participating - in a perfect scenario, we should have used 1/2 c measures then everyone would have recieved another 1/2 cup bag.

It was based on this snafu that I wrote up the instructions to use 1/2 cup measures going forward so members get more out of the divisions

Does that make sense?

11. OP
    acharpenter

Fishies collected:
    Sticky = done

DO NOT RUN THE SEAFOOD THROUGH A MEAT GRINDER/BLENDER - it makes a mush/slurry of it. Hand chopping allows for chunks for the fish to grab/eat rather than just a slurry that none will be able to eat.

Recipe can always change - can add/subtract whatever the organizer and members like - just remember - its all on a budget so you cannot always get/afford/add everything

This recipe is just a "general" base

Also keep in mind - before freezing your allotment, you can purchase extra ingredients and add it to your own batch if you would like something additional in your mix

I myself add extra mysis, brine, Nutra Ovamar etc....

See my reply above

Yup - amen brotha

Done!

The north side party had the South metro party at the same time during that one. All ingredients were the same. We coordinated it all between myself and Zoolan70

Difference with the seafood that time around was that we bought the bulk seafood from Coldwaterreefer (his family owns a store and was able to get us the seafood in bulk).

I just had way too much going on to try and facilitate an order through him this time around....something to think about for the next person that wants to take on organizing another one of these.

AS for the freeze dry ingredients - those are added so that when you feed the food - the corals get some yum yums too

You would have received 3 - 1 cup bags. Hence - going forward - we bag by 1/2 cup rather than 1 cup going forward so members get as much as possible before we end up with extra 1 cup bags

This was unfortunate how that happened so I take full responsibility since I organized it. If anyone wants another 1/2 cup bag - just let me know and I will give it to you out my fish food.....

I always learn something new, some new trick etc every time I facilitate one of these.

I hope everyone was happy with how it turned out and the food they got. Its excellent for corals and fish alike

I for one am looking forward to the next one (that someone else organizes - lol

Oh and after Jay got all the ingredients - I was left wtih $170.00 for the srafood - this what I picked up at Coscto:

[​IMG]

#11 acharpenter, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  12. ironman

ironman Mr flabs of steel!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Have you used an actual meat grinder? Or just a food processor/blender set to grind?

I would be open to hosting the next one...perhaps in six months?

BTW, Costco FTW!

13. OP
    acharpenter

Fishies collected:
    Both and same result with both

Excellent - throw it on the calander!

14. justd1

Fishies collected:
    Thanks Angie for organizing this.
    I know it's a lot of work and I appreciate it...as do the fish/corals.
    :biggthumpup:

15. CaptainGreg

Fishies collected:
    What I did with the party made food last time, I took a couple of bad and blend it to a smoothie consistancy and I also added extra amino acid from GNC. It make great coral food.

16. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks Angie! I will copy this info. and see what I can come up with. I will have to figure out the smaller portions. Thanks again for your answer and all the other people who commented. Thanks

17. zoolan70

zoolan70 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN!

18. OP
    acharpenter

Fishies collected:
    I am good at that Robin!!!!