Homegrown Phyto / Pods

Discussion in 'DIY Forums' started by asreef, Dec 12, 2016.

1. asreef

asreef Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I'm thinking of starting up some home grown phyto and pod cultures. Does anyone have experience doing this or some cultures that I could buy to get mine started?

2. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Vossen should have some good info! Search this threads I think he has touched on it.

3. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Chad usually has both phyto and pods. I have phyto and rotifers, no pods.

What is your end goal? Feed the pods to tank/fish?

4. OP
    asreef

asreef Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I ultimately want to feed them to my DT, my fiance wants a mandarin and I want to be able to support it. I was hoping to make a self sustaining population so I don't need to keep throwing money at Algaebarn.

5. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    After all the time and trouble of raising pods, you may decide the cash to algaebarn is worth it. I've found it remarkably easy to crash my pod cultures.

The algae seems relatively easy to me to keep, but I've seen plenty of people crash that too, especially the t-iso.

I'd try to find a pod that eats something you can easily grow, e.g., nannochlorpsis algae, or one of the algae pastes. Its one less thing to worry about if you can go that route.

6. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I've done the pod culture deal for mandarins. It's very difficult to keep up with the demand unless you have an elaborate setup/harvest process. It's better to invest in fish already eating frozen food as a supplement to a supply of copepods.

7. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    T-iso is alright to culture. If you sterilize the water prior to starting a culture, it's pretty easy. I would recommend culturing Pseudodiaptomus, as the adults are rather large and mostly benthic. I cultured these with great ease.
    I have not had success with Tiggerpods, despite others reporting great success. I have not put a lot of effort into them though. My focus is on Parvocalanus copepods, which are useless for mandarins. Too small, and they'd get filtered out within an hour. Parvo is ideal for raising fish however. Tisbe pods are generally pretty easy and can be cultured on fish food but may do best on T-iso algae.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=2190+3058&pcatid=3058 is a good source for some starter cultures.