Identification help

Discussion in 'Zoanthids' started by LostUnderwater, May 1, 2017.

1. LostUnderwater

LostUnderwater Junior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Also posted on my build thread, I picked up my first corals in the form of a mixed rock from frost at the swap. Removed them from the original rock and glad I did as found a huge bristle worm and some other unknown possible pests. All had a coral Rx dip and at 24 hours majority of them are fully open. I did accidentally glue the face of a clump when it flipped and ended up in the glue.

1. Emerald green tips-darker tentacles, green disk, tan/cream with yellow/gold mouth? Center?Overall there's more of this one than all the others combined.

2. Lime green/yellow tips-lighter tentacles, red/orange disk, purple/blue/lavander with yellow/greenish center. Not a ton of these but second most overall, they look really cool under the bluer lights appearing yellow/bright red.

3. Brown/goldenish tentacles(longer), lavander purpleish pastel with lighter si liar colored center. These are the largest with longer tentacles maybe 8 total polyps.

4. Very similar to #3 but much smaller (maybe younger growth?) difference is powder blue mottled in the main colored area there is only four of these I can tell apart and they do stand out from the similar #3 both in size and color.

5. Almost exactly like #1 except center is entirely a metallic emerald green, seen two of these.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

now is it possible these still have some coloring up to do/adjusting? Or will they likely be individually like this? I was planning in a couple weeks provided I get the supplies, splitting/sorting them out onto their own rocks/plugs.

anyone ever used slate for fragging?
    what I have is a food grade slate plate material from a restaurant I used to work in, took them home with intention of freshwater use but never really found a purpose. Made a perfect, likely temporary frag plate.

thanks for any and all help, hopefully these pictures will look half decent and help with ID.

#1 LostUnderwater, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. OP
    LostUnderwater

Fishies collected:
    Image 1 shows #1/2/3
    image 2 shows mainly #2 with #4 at the bottom
    image 3 shows all of them with #5 far left middle rock on its left side, zoomed in picture here.
    image.jpeg

3. zoolan70

zoolan70 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    If you purchased from the vendor that was just inside the door of the swap. Those colonies all looked to be wild caught and usually are packed with all kinds of pests ( of which bristleworms are the least of your problems ). Generally I say stay away from them if you don't have a good quarantine system. Read up on dipping for zoanthids. One round or Coral Rx is not likely to be sufficient. It could easily be 3-6 months before you notice real problems.

Do you have any other high priced designer zoanthids in your tank. If so your putting them at risk without quarantine.

As for coloration, there is a possibility with brighter light they could be a bit nicer colors but rarely are they going to shift to anything drasticly different. Likely will stay pretty close to the same. Not going to find diamonds in the rough like you would with a browned out sps or acropora.

#4 David Grigor, May 1, 2017
  5. OP
    LostUnderwater

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for the responses and information.
    They are the only thing in the tank other than pods and macros and are my first coral. Wasn't looking for any diamonds, just a name for them.
    What should I be watching for in the next 6 months?
    hard to decipher all the information out there on the Internet as far as pests and stuff goes.

6. zoolan70

zoolan70 Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Not to hijack the thread, but is that what those were? I was wondering how he grew them out, but being direct from the ocean makes sense. Agreed with David though...those could be harboring big pest issues.

7. OP
    LostUnderwater

Fishies collected:
    Heard from a friend who knows more about the vendor that it's very likely they are maricultured rocks from Vietnam or indonesia. I assumed as much when seeing the prices, was aware of the pest possibilities.
    None of the rock they where on made it into the tank and they had a very thorough cleaning along with that dip so hopefully there is minimal chance of issues.

8. OP
    LostUnderwater

Fishies collected:
    Read what I could find and I'll do more research after work thanks again for the heads up about the long term pests. Going to look into finding some Bayer for dipping as well. Had heard of it but was assured by some friends coral Rx was all you'd ever need.... read up on the Bayer dip and it seems to be a much better overall dip.

9. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member

Fishies collected:
  10. SuperJay

SuperJay Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I believe #2 are Eagle Eye Zoas. Which I personally believe is the same thing as a Whammin Watermelon Zoa.

I had asked the vendor about the names of the Zoas that you have as #1, but can't remember.

Check out the Gorilla Nipples. They look somewhat like your #1.

Names cane be tough to figure out. And I think there are many that don't have names.

I like the zoa ID at this site too- https://reefs.com/coral/

#10 SuperJay, May 1, 2017
  11. OP
    LostUnderwater

Fishies collected:
    Thanks superjay, eagle eye was the only one I had found a named picture that looked close. Color isn't a perfect match but closest probably all just wild color morphs. It's someplace for me to start, learn, and practice keeping stuff alive along with pest control etc.
    I will look into horrible nipples hahahahah

hopefully others who picked up rocks and such from those tanks were aware of these concerns. All those tanks had water cross contaminated via scoops etc so potentially all that stuff could be carrying pests?

12. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    For sure, always assume vendors have pest. So much turnover in the systems it would be impossible. Wild caught or maricultured in the ocean are the highest risks though. Vendors who grow out zoanthids it's in the best interest to be sure they are clean so the risk can be lower but never assume anything.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OP
    LostUnderwater

Fishies collected:
    Totally agree with this David, I always assume the worst case but hope for the best. Do what I can to the best of my knowledge to keep things safe and documented.