Jeremy's office build or a case of scope creep

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Hydroman, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Hydroman

Hydroman Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Until last week, I had a planted 20 long in my office but I decided to replace it with something different and get back into the saltwater game. I've done a 20 long reef before and found it a little limiting in height. I originally thought of doing a 29 gallon (same foot print as a 20 long but just taller) but I realized that I don't like the height to depth ratio of the 29 gallon. After some searching, I discovered that a Marineland 34 gallon will fit nicely on my stand and decided that I would use that tank. However, after thinking about it for a few days I began to wonder if the stand could take the extra weight so I should probably build a new stand. Now that I'm building a new stand, why not go a little bit bigger and build the stand for a 40 breeder. Since I already have a 40 breeder in my basement that has never been wet, I might as well use it, right? At the rate I'm going, it will be a 180 gallon by mid-march and I'm not sure if my boss would go for that.

Livestock: Mixed reef but probably heavy on soft corals/leathers
    Fish: Shrimp/goby pair, a blenny, and ?
    Tank: 40 breeder
    Stand: Built by me and inspired by Jlanger
    Overflow: Eshopps Eclipse or Synergy Shadow
    Filtration: Weekly or bi-weekly water changes
    ATO: Tunze osmolator - I thought about just topping off water manually but I want to keep the salinity as stable as possible and I don't want to come in on the weekend to just add water.
    Controller: AC Jr
    Sump: I was originally going to use an empty canister filter for water movement and then run it through DIY inline heaters but since I have the space in the stand, I might as well just put in a sump for the heaters and everything.

As for lighting, I'm still debating that. It is likely going to be LED because I don't want to deal with the heat of metal halide and I feel rather lukewarm about T-5. My last tank had T-5 lighting and I was never crazy about it. That said, I have seen some tanks with LEDs that have a pretty significant disco ball effect that I want to avoid.

2. cypho

cypho I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Good luck. Instead of the 40B, you could go with a 65. Same LxW as a 40B, just taller. :) Then use the 40B as the sump underneath.

3. OP
    Hydroman

Hydroman Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    My last tank was a 65 and I don't want to go that tall, at least for this tank. That doesn't mean there isn't room in my house for a fat boy down the road.

4. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"

Fishies collected:
    I think I'm going to like this build! ;)
    The 40BR is a great size for a "small" tank.
    Keep us posted with your progress.

5. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Lol I loved your constant justification to go bigger and bigger on the tank size. I definitely second the auto topoff system. Very convenient and you can dose kalk through your ato reservoir, should you decide to go that route in the future.

Good luck with the build and take lots of pics! You'll thank yourself later for them

6. OP
    Hydroman

Hydroman Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Yeah, I tend to be my own worst enemy when it comes to talking myself into things.

I should say loosely based, because I don't know if I can pull off my vision with the tools I have. Then again, every project is a reason to buy a new tool.

7. cheezybuda

cheezybuda I contributed!

Fishies collected:
    +1 on the 40 breeder. Just a great tank size.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

8. OP
    Hydroman

Hydroman Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    If I have learned anything about building stands, you need to start with a good plan. I drafted the conceptual plan in our CAD program at a 1:1 scale. This is what I have come up with and, yes, it does bear a resemblance to a certain other users' stand. :bow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. OP
    Hydroman

Hydroman Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    So after six months of working on this in my free time, the stand has been built.

Yes the door panels are a little dusty but it is done and the tank holds water. Pleases ignore the background, that room is a work in progress. The problem is that I'm not sure if I want to lug a 40 breeder and this stand into my office. What I'm thinking is that when it is time to tear down the tank (our office has a year to year lease and the owner could decide to knock down the building at any time), I want to be able to move it in one trip and this set up would take probably two trips. Now I'm thinking of tracking down a marineland 34 gallon and using it on the stand that formerly had my 20 long.
    [​IMG]

#9 Hydroman, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  10. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Missing photo!!! You're killing me (o:

11. OP
    Hydroman

Hydroman Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Hmm, this was much easier before photobucket pulled that jerk move. I thought I could upload from my Google drive but apparently not.

Let's see if Tapatalk works.

#11 Hydroman, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  12. RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Well that looks significantly better then I was prepared for, really nice.

13. OP
    Hydroman

Hydroman Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks. I spent a lot of time on it. At the moment, I'm still trying to decide whether I want to bring it to my office or not. Aside from the size, I suspect that the hum from the pump (eheim 1262) would be distracting. It is only around 30 db (as measured by an app on my phone) which is generally considered to be quiet, it is still louder than my office which usually is less than 10 db.

14. RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Understandable, I'd generally say if you did that a lower pitch tends to fade away but a higher pitch will become nails on a chalk board.

If you have room I added that cheap pink construction foam sold at Menards and the like and mounted on the back of my cabinet doors. That made a big difference for me.

15. livestuff

livestuff I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Looks really nice.
    Let your coworkers pick something for the tank. ( from a list u make of coarse) and maybe they won't mind the extra noise.:D

16. OP
    Hydroman

Hydroman Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I like that idea. Give them a list of fish and corals I plan on adding anyway.

17. OP
    Hydroman

Hydroman Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm trying to decide whether I want to go with an internal overflow (drilled through the bottom) or external overflow (drilled through the back). It seems to be easier to find external overflows but I don't like how far you need to keep the tank from the wall. If only they made a 40 breeder with a built in internal overflow.