jlanger's 120gal Arts and Crafts Inspired Reef Build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by jlanger, May 1, 2013.

1. KJoFan

KJoFan Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I feel your pain. After a bout with some AEFW that ended up wiping out most of my sps for one reason or another I decided it was the right time to upgrade my tank. All remaining livestock has been hanging out in a 100g Rubbermaid tub without incident for a month or so as I pull together the new build.

I was away for Christmas for a few days and came home to the following dead fish:

Kole Tang
    Potter's Angel
    Potter's Wrasse
    4x Rhomboid wrasse females
    1x Biota Rainford Goby

Now I'm left with a few sad looking sps, some softies, a pair of clowns and a pair of Leopard wrasses. So, I too will basically be doing a re-boot, but with a larger tank.

Here's to more reefing success in 2018 for both of us!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    The sight of your dead montipora is heartbreaking. Like your system until recently, every monti I place in my tank thrives, even during my 9 month GHA battle that I think I finally beat. You are welcome to frags of any montis I have to reboot things. PM me for details on what I have.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I have several of your past month frags that you are welcome to when you do reboot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Sorry to hear about your tank Jason.

If you are completely rebuilding your tank: new aquarium, stand, sump, apex, etc. I'm sure this will become quite the impressive upgrade. What size / length were you thinking of going with?

5. Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I hope he goes for a 210!

6. OP
    jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I must write too much... people don't read or remember what they read. ;)

No mention of a new stand. Why not? After five years, my stand is still as sturdy and "purdy" as the day it was built; no need for a new stand.
    Although... I have considered building a new canopy. Being that the existing canopy is only big enough to squeeze in a couple of 36" T5 strip lights, it would be nice to have more room for more bulbs and move up to 48" T5 lights. But I think I would get a better return on my investment if I upgraded the two Radion XR30 Pro (G2) fixtures to a new pair of Radion XR30 G4 Pro fixtures.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to upgrade to a larger display tank. But for now, I think it's safer to stay with a 120gal display.
    I'm ordering a Custom Aquariums low-iron rimless 120gal and using a Modular Marine overflow system; similar to the new build by @Nezw0001.
    If I did go BIG, it would've been in the 400-500gal range. But I would need to be making a lot more stands or cookies to afford something that large! Maybe some day...:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  7. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Or I read too much into what you could be thinking or meaning behind your "I wish I could, but....." You left it open to say you havent ruled it out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I thought we were day dreaming here! Sure wish i had the space/money/time and my wife’s consent to upgrade. Haha.

9. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Very sad to see/hear. My tank was looking terrible throughout the summer as well, and even though the tank has bounced back, the bubble algae is still running rampant. I am very excited to see the new setup, however! And by the time you have it all setup I should have a Rainbow Phoenix frag ready for you :cool:

Also hoping the Lineatus is somehow still just in hiding. Let us know if you find him!

10. OP
    jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    FTFY, Will.

Thanks, Keenan.
    I picked up a Phoenix Monti from the Fall Expo that I have sitting over at AcanLord until I'm ready to add corals again. With the rate that my Nauti Spiral has grown while over there, maybe I'll be able to swap frags with you.
    And I have not seen the Lineatus at all. :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. blennieluvr

blennieluvr TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Sorry to hear of your troubles and kudos to you for your hobby resiliency. That would be a hard sock to the gut but you are taking it like a Champ. Looking forward to the new build.

• Like Like x 1