Joculator angelfish breeding and rearing?

Discussion in 'Aquatics Breeding (Fish, coral, inverts)' started by Chad Vossen, Dec 14, 2015.

1. OP
    Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    [Youtube]K6bvUTa6xJE[/Youtube]

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. OP
    Chad Vossen

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Angelfish larvae gave me a heart attack yesterday. She went missing for the whole day, and my attempts to find her failed. I ended up draining the tub nearly completely, and found her cruising the bottom edges of the tub. Now that I know she's OK, I understand that this is normal behavior. She's basically "leaving the plankton" and searching for a new home. She's also eating copepods off the side of the tub now, and mostly ignoring the open water parvo. Even the adult parvo seems too small for her now.

I think today is day 70. I've definitely spent $2000 for a $1000 fish, lol. Expecting it to pay off eventually when we figure out how to raise 10 or more in a batch.

3. OP
    Chad Vossen

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Double post, please delete.

4. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'll give ya $500!

Great to follow this, keep it up! Things like this are what truly make a difference in the hobby.
    ;)

5. BlacknBlue2

BlacknBlue2 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Chad your doing an amazing job my friend, in the end it will pay back all the hardwork my friend.

6. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    This change in behavior sounds like a really good thing. Looks like maybe you are about to just have a tiny angelfish soon (i.e. an easier to care for fish), rather than a larval angelfish!

7. Walter84

Walter84 Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    That is what it sounds like to me also, great progress Chad.

8. OP
    Chad Vossen

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Should have posted this earlier, but the angelfish made it to day 77 and died.

She settled, complete with behavior change and everything. However she did not complete metamorphosis. Her feeding behavior changed so much that the Parvo that I was feeding her was not working. She was feeding from the sides and not from the water at this point, and became thin.

Due to traveling this summer, I don't think I'm going to pick up a serious attempt at angelfish till this fall. This gives me time to put together new angelfish pairs (Multibar pair and Venuesta pair are in the works). If the Joculators start spawning again, I'll certainly give them another try though. Next time we have an angelfish run, we'll focus on benthic copepods when the angels start to settle.

Till then, we'll be working on our clownfish, dottybacks, and other projects.

9. OP
    Chad Vossen

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    It appears that the joculator may not spawn during the summer months. Now that it's cooling down and the days are getting shorter, they are back to regular spawning again.

We have a new batch in the tubs now, about a week old. They are doing well and eating. Lets see if we can raise them this winter :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Good luck. Looks like you need a ton of different food to get them through.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LowersMyBP

LowersMyBP I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Glad to see some positive news. Exciting to hear. Lotsa babies? Still using the big "condom" to collect? Good luck, sir.

• Like Like x 1
  12. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I just looked up this species and saw what these sell for. Holy $@#* !

I hadn't realized. I wasn't familiar with the particular species - I just thought it was an interesting dwarf angel I hadn't encountered yet.

I'd just thought this was a super cool effort to figure out how to raise up some dwarf angelfish fry. I hadn't realized how rare and pricey this species is.

It would be super cool regardless, but wow.

13. OP
    Chad Vossen

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Yeah, we're working with the high value species for now. If we can raise just a few, it'll pay off far better than a handful of coral beauties.
    If we can figure out a method that'll raise a hundred or more, we'll start exploring more common species.

I'm having trouble with keeping the water tinted again this batch. My order of nanno didn't work out very well, I expect to have more arriving tomorrow. I've been meaning to expand our phyto culture station for awhile, that's still a bottleneck for us.

14. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    This makes sense. The work involved in rearing the more common species would be just as great, and there is no reason to think the challenges would necessarily be any less. But the reward (necessary to make this a viable thing to be putting time and energy and space into) would be far less.

My impression is that in the case of the yellow tang breeding project in Hawaii, a good part of the motivation was to address the local conservation issues involved with the extensive harvesting of yellow tangs from local waters. But at this point, I can't help but wonder whether they ought to be trying to get things set up with some gem tangs (assuming they could afford the broodstock!). It seems if they can raise up larval yellow tangs, there's a good chance they could do the same with gem tangs, and if that was successful that could potentially fund a lot of additional research and development. Of course, the market for really expensive fish will never be as big as for less expensive fish, but if they could offer gem tangs for a fraction of the current going price, they might be able to sell quite a few and still sell for substantial amounts of money.