KJoFan's SCA 150g Build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by KJoFan, Apr 15, 2018.

1. KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter Meeting Host 2018

I haven't done a build thread on my last few setups because they usually just end up stalling out at some point. So, I wasn't going to do one for this build either but this is my biggest (and best?) build in my 10+ years on the hobby. Why not share it with the community? Oh, and I'm also part of this summer's 'Bermuda Triangle' tank tour so why not share a bit beforehand?

Anyway, after selling off my 120g awhile back and downsizing to a couple smaller tanks (and just generally getting a bit weary of it all) I was ready to upsize just a bit. Around Thanksgiving of 2016 I purchased a 66g SCA tank and stand thinking this would be the ideal size, not too big, not too small. I'm sure you all know how this story goes. My wants and needs outgrew the 66 quickly so in November of 2017 I jumped on a tank/stand/canopy deal for a 150g eurobraced setup from SCA.

SCA Starfire Eurobraced 150g
    Trigger Triton 44 sump
    Reef Octopus Varios 6 return pump (should have gotten the Varios 8)
    Lifereef 24" skimmer with Waveline 10000 II DC pump
    2x Reefbrite 250w MH pendants w/Reefbrite XHO LEDs
    2x Tunze 6095 powerheads
    GHL Profilux 4 controller
    GHL Profilux 2.1 doser

Delivery day:
    [​IMG]

I got a few of my co-workers to stop over and help carry the tank and stand into the house. We didn't have suction cups (I wish we had) and I warned them that as soon as we got into the house the tank would fog up so be sure they had a good grip for the 7 steps down to the lower level.

They did great:
    [​IMG]

The tank in place and it's predecessor off to the right:
    [​IMG]

Tank inhabitants temp home on the left:
    [​IMG]

That last photo was taken on December 22nd. The list of fish in that tub included (as my memory serves):
    - Potter's angel
    - Potter's wrasse
    - 5 or 6 Rhomboid female wrasses
    - Kole Tang
    - pair of Blue Star Leopard wrasses
    - pair of Wyoming White clowns
    - Biota Coral Beauty angel
    - Biota Court Jester goby

Over the course of the next week to 10 days (over Christmas when I wasn't super attentive to the tub, but threw in some food daily) all fish died except the leopard wrasse pair. I can only assume Velvet as I didn't notice ANY symptoms of illness in my brief observations. The clown pair were the last to go and I did watch them start to breathe heavily and get skittish but at that point I just was done with it all. The leopards however never skipped a beat.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

Cool list of fish, sorry to hear you lost most of them. Nice tank and build so far. Keep updating this, it's a good way to document things, if you need to you can look back here for reference. Plus those of us who can't make the trek out there can still see the progress on your cool setup.

3. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Great start to things, following along.

4. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I’ve got more info and pics to share but ran out of time tonight to put anything together. Had to grab my expo goods from @RSnodgrass and get them settled in. Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. AsianReef

AsianReef Former: 90ct
    Lifetime Member

Looking very good Karen. Can't wait to see water and livestock in it.

#5 AsianReef, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  6. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

How do you like the MH/reefbrite combo fixtures? They looked very tempting when I was looking at lighting solutions.

7. OldNemo

OldNemo Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

8. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Ok moving right along. Shortly after I got the tank delivered I took all my dry rock from various other past tanks and started to cook it up in tubs with saltwater, heaters and powerheads. I topped them off from time to time but otherwise left them alone. At some point midway through I changed their water and dosed some lanthanum chloride to pull phosphates out if there were any.

In the meantime, plumbing. Nothing fancy, but it works:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After plumbing was completed, time to start the fill:
    [​IMG]

I bought brand new Special Grade sand, but didn't bother (read: too lazy) to rinse it. I don't really recommend that. It took forever and a day to clear up.
    [​IMG]

I swear it took two weeks to clear up enough that I could start scaping. My goal with the scape was provide a lot of coral real estate, but keep it fairly low such that sps colonies have room to grow and/or I can build up the scape if I need more real estate. I don't enjoy the aquascaping process. I can have a good idea of what I want, but my execution lacks. So, to start I just threw my cooked rock in to see what pieces seemed to fit best and wait for inspiration.

So..the hodge podge went like this:
    [​IMG]

I wanted to implement shelf pieces in my last build and did use some smaller pieces. I had this huge shelf piece you see above that I thought might work in this tank, but I just can't seem to use them in any way that seems natural looking to me, so I ended up not using it at all.

In the end this is what I came up with:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the meantime, I parted with the surviving leopards, started up my IM Lagoon 25 to hold remaining corals and QT them for a minimum of 6 weeks in case Velvet was actually the culprit. I didn't want to contaminate the new tank, plus it wasn't ready for livestock but I need to get the tub out of the way.

• Like Like x 4
  9. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Thanks Brian!

I really like them. I had one fixture on my previous 66g so just decided to purchase a second pendant for this tank. Partly because MH (and/or T5) seem to be the preferred for sps by most still and it was the cheapest option for lighting at this point. I was already halfway there. But, I do have the itch to try some LED fixtures....

Thanks!

10. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Great job on the aquascape!!!
    And that plumbing is fancy!

• Like Like x 1
  11. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Well, if you don't match the color scheme of the sump, what have you got? :cool:

That bright blue mat under the tank that is visible is kind of an eyesore (but it matches too!), I have thought about getting some kind of molding or trim to cover it up at some point but haven't done it yet.

Regarding the lights, I should add that I also like the MH (Radium bulbs) for the fact that they're just on or off, no messing, like with LEDs, I'm always tempted to mess and feel I don't have as much success with sps with LED. BUT, that said, I still kind of want to try them out on this tank.

12. RSnodgrass

Nothing fancy about the plumbing... said no one ever. How did you manage to do it with so few pipes and bends, it looks really clean and leaves lots of room it seems.

Also a fan of the simplicity of the aquascape, it will work really well to use the egg create wall idea I mentioned to separate new additions. I've had great success with that, it also makes it easy to single out and catch a single fish.

13. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

I agree with langer, the scape and plumbing look great!

14. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

While we ate before heading home last night we tried to add up the number of saltwater tanks we've had over the 10+ years in the hobby and came up with 13...in 10 years. So...we've had practice and time to perfect our craft. Though, if I'm being honest, @crisrisl is the brains of the plumbing operation. The mutual goal was to keep it clean and out of the way to maximize the space.

I did think of the egg crate idea when I was getting the frags in the tank last night and you're right, it would work pretty well.

By the way, all the frags made it and are looking just fine, right along with the 25 lbs of chaeto. :D So, thank you again for picking them up for me!

• Like Like x 2
  15. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

After I got the scape how I wanted I used some Dr. Tim's One and Only to get some bacteria colonizing. I let that sit for a day or so and then added plain ammonia to help build up that nitrifying bacteria. At some point in here I also started with some Prodibio Biodigest to diversify the bacteria. Ammonia levels dropped and I dosed some ammonia again and kept up with a couple vials of Biodigest. Once ammonia dropped to zero again I deemed it time to add life.

Since I had decided all other tanks were coming down, that included the IM40 on the upper level. So, the snowflake clown pair went into the 150 and the six line wrasse went into the frag tank for pest control. The clowns are jerks so...I might have made a mistake there, as they've now had probably two months of just them in the tank, I am worried about adding new fish, but we'll see.

Now, I'm not sure if i overdid it with the bacteria or what, but I ended up with this thick ugly mulm all over my rockwork:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It didn't appear like diatoms like I'm used to seeing anyway, it was just thick brown...sludge. It's now mostly gone thanks in part to snails and time. Some of it would just kind of flake off and disintegrate and leave stark white rock beneath it. Weird. I've never had that happen before.

16. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Blue Tenuis looking good??? Was the one I was most concerned with...

17. postie1686

postie1686 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

The sca 150 was my last tank. I loved that tank! It was built amazingly! Your plumbing work looks great! I still head to Marshall atleast once a month so if you need anything from up this way i could bring it down and meet with you like we did for the razor light that time!

• Like Like x 1
  18. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I was just downstairs and looked at things (Reefbrites are the only lights on now) Blue Tenuis is looking good. It was kind of pale with blue/purple tips last night. Tonight I can see the green coming through lower down. It had PE in the bag when I got home and has some decent PE again tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RSnodgrass

@Flounder it was enough to fill a sump lol!

20. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I believe I saw you active on some SCA threads on other forums. I'm really happy with the tank, they are built very well. I'll keep you in mind for sure!