LED light spectrum and

Discussion in 'Advanced Topics' started by Dane, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Dane

Dane Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    The light in question, 300 watt Marsaqua. I bought this light because I didn't have the cash to throw at a good light, i.e radion, kessil etc. I could have probably gone the t5 route...oh well. I knew when I was doing my homework on this light that I would want to change out the leds that push this thing to far into the red end of the spectrum. The leds are stupid easy to replace and I can find just about anything in the spectrum inexpensively. Here's what it has:

[FONT=&amp]Dimmer One:[/FONT]

• 14 x Cool White 12,000k
    • 10 x Neutral White 7500k
    • 10 x Warm White 3500k
    • 4 x Red 660nm
    • 4x Green 520nm
    • 8 x Blue 460nm
    [FONT=&amp]Dimmer Two:[/FONT]

• 20 x Royal Blue 450nm
    • 30 x Blue 460nm

I was thinking of losing the reds, greens and warm whites, maybe the 7500Ks? What would you recommend in their places? 10-15K? UV? What would you recommend as an ideal spectrum?

Thanks!

#1 Dane, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  2. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Feel free to get rid of the red/greens or just put some black tape over the cover to block them. I personally would NOT get rid of the warm/neutrals. Cool whites while they are great for green/blue/purple corals are not so good for all others. If you want a well rounded community tank I would not run just cool whites. Better off just lowering the overall intensity and not really messing with them than to remove them.

3. OP
    Dane

Dane Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Would there be any benefit to removing the greens/reds replacing them with 420nm? Would eight 420nm be too much?

4. zoolan70

zoolan70 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I use these lights and haven't changed them at all. I've been very happy with them for what they are...I'm able to grow what I want under them. I have softies / zoas on the bottom of a 36" deep tank that are doing great. Stuff up higher is growing very fast. I'm not trying to grow high-end SPS, but like I said, I didn't plan to.

5. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    UV/Violet would be fine to swap for it you wanted. IMO, you can't really have too much actinic. Only issue is with just 2 channels fine tuning a color when you have lower spectrum in with your whites. I found that to be the case with the reef breeders.