Leicester56's 120 gallon build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Leicester56, Aug 26, 2015.

1. OP
    Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    4 months up and running! Water parameters have been stable, which may in part be due to the fact that half of my live rock, many of the fish, and half the corals date back to my original 40 breeder system started in Feb 2015. Recent additions include: Maximus clam, forest fire digi, superman monti, Todd's torch coral, and several mushroom species.

A couple of recent pics from my iPhone (sorry they are not better quality).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    A few updates. Almost at the 8 month mark! Recent changes/additions include:
    1. Upgraded return pump from a Quiet One 3000 to a 5000. the additional power has made a noticeable difference in skimmer performance.
    2. Lost my first fish since starting the hobby 1.5 years ago. A really beautiful Bellus Angel that I think succumbed to swim bladder disease.
    3. Added a captive bred Orchid Dottyback which adds a great splash of color. Very interesting foraging habits as well
    4. Added a couple corals (20 head big polyp blasto colony, 3" Wellso brain coral, and some dark green Ricordias).
    5. I purchased a hanging kit for my Radion light fixtures because I am really not impressed with the tank mounts. They bend considerably under the weight of the fixture. I have not switched over yet though.
    6. I am fighting a minor outbreak of Cyanobacteria. I started feeding a little less, have been manually removing during weekly water changes, and have increased tank flow by 15%. I also made some adjustments to my return spigots and MP40's to try to reduce stagnant regions.
    7. Actively looking for another fishy addition. Hoping to find one of the following: Red lined, Claudia, or radiant wrasse.

Just st a quick pic for fun

image.jpeg

#42 Leicester56, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Introducing: the Howes reef quarantine ward. A little late the the game, as the 8 fish currently in my tank never went through a full quarantine (shame on me). Luckily, I have yet to have any disease outbreaks in the 1.5 years in the hobby, but I know you can't stay lucky forever. Qt setup consists of a 20 gallon high tank with a filter sponge, heater, temp probe, and an mj1200 for flow. I followed an article from the Advanced Aquarist that suggested a sponge filter left in the sump of an established tank for several weeks should carry with it enough bacteria to handle a QT tank even if it wasn't running (attached to the air pump) while it was in the sump. Has anyone heard differently? I left mine in for 4 weeks. My first QT resident is a handsome Melanarus wrasse that I picked up from New Wave yesterday. I added in a deli container with 2 inches of sand so the little fella has a place to sleep and made a top secure enough for Fort Knox. Already eating frozen Mysis shrimp with gusto. My plan is to treat with prazi and quarantine for 5 weeks to monitor for other parasites. Due to the sensitivity of wrasses to copper, I will likely not use that medication unless clinical signs arise.

#43 Leicester56, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  4. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  5. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    16 month update! New Fish, algae battles, and more!

O.K- first the changes:
    1. My tank has enough coral growth that I have been having to dose large amounts of soda ash and Ca every night. I Finally pulled the trigger and purchased a dp4 doser along with a chamber system. Have it set up to dose 10x a day with soda ash and Ca being dosed at different times. Today is the first day it is up and running so I cannot comment on its performance just yet.

2. Added a Kole tang. This was a bit of a risky maneuver as I already had a well established yellow tang that is currently about 4 inches in size. Well, apparently the yellow tang wasn't the one I had to worry about, as it flashed a couple of times initially and has since showed zero aggression towards it (for those interested, the Kole tang is a bit smaller than the yellow tang). The only aggression came from a known fish killer, my cherub angel. He killed a starkii damsel, that was the same size and coloration as the cherub, several months back. When the Kole tang was added, he chased it around for half the day. Luckily, the Tang seems to be faster than the Angel, so no real damage was done. By the next day, the angel accepted the Kole Tang's presence. I am not sure if all cherubs are this aggressive towards other fish, but I don't think I will ever own another. On the plus side, it doesn't mess with any of my corals.

3. Although I set up a 40 gallon breeder softie tank just for my Central American Puffer, he has thus far eluded all attempts to catch him in the 120 to move it. Have tried nets, fish traps, and searching for his nightly resting spot. He still nips at the mantle of my Maxima clam, but it seems to still be in good health despite not extending its mantle as much as it used to. Although it kills me, I may have to sell my clam if I can't figure out an easy way to move the puffer. On the plus side, the puffer is no longer nipping at other corals or fish fins, which is great.

Issues:

1. I have been battling hair algae for the last month. My tank isn't covered in it, but low flow areas have been consistently growing some good clumps. To manage it, I added the Kole tang, a sea hare, and have been manually removing it. I think the root cause may be my skimmer. It is in need of a good cleaning and I haven't been as vigilant about dialing it in after filter sock changes (which makes it act up for a couple hours). Finally, I am decreasing photoperiod and feeding amount a little. We will see who wins. :)

2. Still not quite happy with the coloration of my acros. After Jlanger was kind enough to share his radion light program with me, and I raised the units a little higher, they have definitely been growing better and coloring up. May just need more time, but ICP testing may be in my future.

3. Over the course of a month, all my ricordias, some of which I have had for a year and a half, up and died. No other corals were affected. I still have a lone orange Ric hanging on, but I am not optimistic about its future. Anyone have input on this issue?

A recent video a day after adding the Kole tang

https://youtu.be/P9WgZx0uXZ0

Current stock list:
    1. 2 Ocellaris clowns (black and Davinci)
    2. Yellow tang
    3. Kole tang
    4. Blue star wrasse
    5. Melanarus wrasse
    6. Central American sharpnose puffer
    7. Orchid dottyback
    8. Cherub angel
    9. Midas blenny

#45 Leicester56, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  6. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Congrats on the Kole Tang!
    I think those fish are perfect for medium sized reef tanks; just watching them bounce around the reef is most enjoyable.

As for Winston... what style and size of fish trap did you use?
    I have a pivot door model that works rather well; except for a certain clown goby. I found that if I place the trap in the tank without the door for a week or so and place food inside the trap, most fish will become comfortable within the clear box. Replacing the door and baiting it with the food the fish prefer often leads to good results.

7. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    The trap has a vertical sliding door that drops with a fishing line. I have only left it in for 24 hours at a time, so maybe that's the issue. The dimensions of the trap are such that I only have room for it near the top of the tank.

8. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
  9. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Alright. 21 month update:
    2017 has been a year of troubleshooting for me. Back in March I noted that I had been battling GHA. Well, the fight continues, but I seem to be finally seeing improvement. For months on end I had been removing about 2 cups of GHA out of my tank each week. I have suffered some significant coral causalties, including a 6 headed Australian torch coral, a Todd’s torch coral with 2 heads, and 4 acros. Changes that I have made since my last post in March;
    1. Have been replacing sections of sand
    2. Removed the 40lbs of rock from my sump and scrubbed it in water from a water change and then rinsed it with new saltwater before replacing pieces back into the sump.
    3. Cleaned out the sump
    4. Restructured an reduced some of the rockwork in my display tank (removed pieces were placed in the sump). My initial aquascaping did not allow for great circulation in some regions.
    5. Discontinued cheato fuge. It was not growing well and caused to much light spill into my sump area.
    6. Dosing N-P bacto-balance for the last 3 months
    7. I think the addition of the Kole tang earlier this year has also made an impact. That fish is a GHA eating machine.
    8. For the first 2 months of the GHA battle I performed 20% weekly water changes, but Inhave recently dropped back to 10% a week.
    9. Lower fish load- From my best guess, my 5” RFA ate my male davinci clown a while ago. :( :(
    10. Reduced the green and red channels on my LED lights along with a reduction in photoperiod.
    10. Added a powerhead to increase flow in a badly needed region.

Current fish stock:
    1. Yellow tang
    2. Kole tang (the two tangs get along great)
    3. Blue star leopard wrasse
    4. Central American sharp nose puffer
    5. Melanarus wrasse
    6. Black ocellaris
    7. Orchid dottyback
    8. Pygmy dwarf angel

Finallly, to take my GHA battle to the next level, I have an L2 ATS from Turbo Aquatics that will be delivered in the next few weeks. Hopefully this will take care of the rest of the issue. ;)

Attached Files:

#49 Leicester56, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  10. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    C4195702-586A-4A55-9945-94B5D7F5072C.jpeg I love this RFA. Brightest yellow in the tank.

11. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Alright! L2 Rev4 from Turbo Aquatics is officially up and running. Seed algae graciously provided by David Grigor (thanks again!). Currently have the unit sitting on a pvc bracket that I fashioned to hold the scrubber 2 inches above the sump water line when the system is SHUT OFF. IT looks a little closer to 1.5 inches during the test runs. Will likely just put a 1 inch riser under each end of the bracket just to be safe.

Model- L2 Rev4
    Light intensity- 40%
    Hours on- 12 (opposite of day lighting)

Couple notes- I had the previous L2 model (REV 3) on a different tank and had to sell it when I upgraded to my current 120 because it wouldn’t fit under this hood m. The Rev 4 is significantly slimmer and fit in with a good 1/4 inch to spare. :) :)

Also, love how he LED fixtures slide on the ATS box to allow you to view the screen without shutting anything off.

Well, I will keep everyone updated!

9CB226FE-F546-4D56-A94F-24A4408C93BB.jpeg B67454A9-E799-4373-8E3D-87E2B22F7044.jpeg C4A3B778-D10A-4FC0-BF0C-08A021ACEE1D.jpeg

12. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Alright! The L2 has been up and running for about 3 weeks following seeding. Lights have been running at 50% for 12 hours a day. I am very happy with the growth. I decided to turn up the lights about 10% and increased water flow a little, now that there is a decent carpet on the screen.

Attached Files: