Light Modification

Discussion in 'DIY Forums' started by danknuc, Aug 23, 2016.

1. danknuc

danknuc TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I just wanted to share my light modification:
    Back in January when I bought my tank, stand and equipment from a LFS I was sold a two bulb 28w 48" T5 Coralife light fixture (I didn't know any better at the time). I added a LED fixture to the aquarium in May but wanted to either buy a T5HO or modify this one. I chose to modify the fixture since it would be under $25 plus the cost of new bulbs.
    If anyone has seen these fixtures, they are about the width of 3 bulbs and about 3/4" high. The smallest T5HO 54W two fixture ballast I could find is 1" x 1.3" x 9.5". When I pulled it all apart I found the original ballast is just a circuit board wrapped in plastic. The channel of the fixture that fits the wires, ballast and switch is about 3/4" square so the new ballast obviously would not fit. So, being that my canopy is floating and you cannot see the light fixtures anyway, I just attached the ballast to the top of the fixture and ran the wires in through the side and kept everything else original.

2. csb123

csb123 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    All reefers including you have the middle name McGyver!

3. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Dan Your tank is looking very nice, keep us updated

4. OP
    danknuc

danknuc TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks. That is an older picture just to show the canopy. I didn't have a recent picture when I posted the pictures earlier. The rock work is a bit different now. Just to put it out there and for full disclosure, the tank background was my wife's idea, she didn't want to see the hoses and cords behind the tank and she thought black was "stupid". But if it was a choice of the the picture background or no tank, hmmm?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk