Lighting - is red 660nm needed?

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by RedLine, Nov 18, 2017.

1. RedLine

TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I’ve been looking at different led lighting solutions and have noted that some do not include the red 660nm wavelength. Is this wavelength beneficial for a mixed reef tank? What does this spectrum provide and for what inhabitants? I also saw that one new fixture includes IR lamps.

I have an LED setup now and it seems to be doing good. Just wondering if there is a benefit to upgrading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    In my experience too much red causes coral to become very pale. So pale that you can see the skeletal ribs through the frogspawn. So very little if any red is needed, If led fixture has some warm whites ( 5500K-6500K ) and not just cool whites then that is a good substitute for red.

Now if the 660nm is to be used primarily over a refugium them yes, the more 660mn the better.

I have been told ( no experience ) that IR leds do not have a very long life. We guess becuase of the heat IR generates so I myself and not sold on using them until more proven.

3. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    David,

So, say with your Radions, do you dial down the intensity of the red LEDs?

4. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Most definately. Too much red and at night you would think the LPS were dead, you can see straight through them and count each skeletal ridge. Most of the day I believe is around 12% with peak up to 20%.

5. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    David,

Other than the reds, roughly what intensity level are you running your Radions at typically? And how many do you have over your 180? (I think it is a 180??).