Live Every Week Like It's Shark Week

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Forum' started by jlanger, Aug 31, 2017.

1. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    NIce picture Jason. What is the approx. size of the pup? In the picture it looks pretty big for being newly born.

2. OP
    jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I would estimate the pup at 7-8" in total length.
    I brought a tape with me, but the pup stayed towards the back or the unaccessible side while I was there, so I didn't get an exact measurement.
    I was a bit surprised to see the actual size of the pup. It's hard to imagine all of that body wrapped up in such a tight space.

3. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Yes The sack hanging on the side of the tank looked to small to hold that size of pup. Hope everything goes good for Alex.

4. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    It's cool to see one hatched. Next hurdle is the first feedings. I hope they go well too.

5. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    Here's a somewhat better pic showing the full body of the pup.

[​IMG]

I stopped in for a short visit Thursday night to see if i could get the pup to eat anything. Unfortunately, it was sleeping and seemed annoyed with my attempts to feed it. As I would dangle thawed squid or silversides near it's mouth, the pup would snuggle tighter into the rocks.
    Hopefully, we have better luck this weekend as we plan to stop in a couple of times.

A couple of the other eggs have been very active and those embryos look close to hatching also.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Awesome news to see one hatched! Keep us updated on this weekend's feeding attempts

7. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    Jo, Gabby and I stopped by the high school lab this afternoon to check on the shark pup and remaining eggs.
    We were alerted that it looked like another one of the eggs was developing the white film on the outside of the egg case. Indeed, there was the white film on Egg Case #5 and the embryo had died. This was the smallest of the embryos. The three embryos that we've lost have been #5, #6 and #7. I assume that there's no correlation between those events, but I'd like too know if there is a possible cause with them being adjacent to one another.
    The remaining embryos look healthy. I'm anticipating a couple more hatchings in the next week, as a couple of the embryos are getting large for the egg cases.

That was the bad news, now for the good news.

We have a new baby shark pup!
    After the quick inspection of Egg Case #5, I found Shark Pup #6 and then discovered that under another rock was a second shark pup; Shark Pup #10. This pup looks to be a little smaller than the first, but it was quite active in moving around under the rocks; switching positions quite often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We attempted another feeding with Shark Pup #6. The pup would make a quick grab at the food (silversides or squid), but didn't take a second bite to try and eat the food. Perhaps, we would have better success during the evenings when the sharks are probably more active.

Here's a couple of pictures from today's visit of Shark Pup #6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Very cool to see another one, Jason. Have you guys tried PE Mysis yet? I've had good luck with that as a first food.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for the suggestion, Riley.
    I brought some PE Mysis with me to the lab tonight and both pups took their first bites of prepared foods!

(I'll post more details later.)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Good to hear! There's one hurdle down. Now they just need to stay well fed, and they'll probably do just fine.

11. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    In case you're not following along on the Facebook page, here's some updates.

February 19th, 2018.

We stopped back into the lab tonight to try and get the new shark pups to try yet another food option; mysis shrimp. After a few failed attempts (on my part; mysis shrimp are small and difficult to feed by tongs), we were successful!
    At first the pups seemed to struggle with swallowing the shrimp, but I wonder if this is all a part of growing up.
    Both pups fed on some of the mysis shrimp offered by the tongs, but it was too laborious to feed in this manner. So I shut off the water pumps and I was able to use a pipette to place numerous shrimp near the pups. This proved to be a better option as the pups were able to pick at the shrimp on their terms.
    Hopefully we've now found a gateway option to getting the pups eating prepared foods.

After the pups had eaten, they decided it was a good time to explore the tank and one another.
    I was able to get some really nice video clips and photographs of the two pups together. Once I dimmed the lighting to a more dusk-like atmosphere, the pups really started to get active. From now on, we're going to try and feed the pups in the evening as this is when they're more active in the wild.

I was hoping that if I stayed around long enough that I could get video of another shark hatching. Embryo #2 looks to be bursting at the seams in that egg case and it was moving around periodically throughout the visit. But tonight just wasn't the night; at least while I was there.

Here's Shark Pup #10.

[​IMG]

And here's the two pups hanging out behind the rocks.

[​IMG]

February 21st, 2018.

Another visit to the lab tonight and more pictures...
    The two pups ate some more mysis shrimp, but they're learning how to chew their food.
    Once they smell the shrimp in the water, they become very active. Today, they seemed to like to pose for the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have you seen enough photos of the new shark pups?
    How about some video?!

The two pups hanging out together under the rocks.
    Shark Pup #6 (larger pup) is 9 days old.
    Shark Pup #10 (smaller pup) is 4 days old.

Here's another video of the two shark pups.
    It's really cool to watch these little sharks wander around the aquarium. They spend most of the time walking around, but they do periodically get the confidence to swim for a few seconds.
    Near the end of this video, Shark Pup #10 eats a piece of the mysis shrimp. You can see that the pups are still new to eating solid foods. (Chew your food!)

February 27th, 2018.

The two shark pups have been doing very well over the past week. They are both eating very well; a huge thanks to Larry DuPont and his LRS Fish Frenzy food.

Since the pups are usually napping when we show up for morning and late day feedings, we needed to find a way to entice the pups to wake up and eat. We add some of the water from the food cup to the display tank. The smell of the food wakes up the pups. We then turn off the water pump to reduce the flow in the display and place a little bit of the food on the sand bed near the pups. The pups smell the food, search for it and suck up tiny morsels; chewing on the bigger pieces.
    The past handful of days, I've been placing the food in the same location in hopes that the pups recognize those spots as feeding areas. The front right corner has become their favorite spot to hang out and feed. The past couple of feedings, I started to feed the pups with a twist.
    Stick it!
    About a year ago, many hobbyists feeding the LRS foods were sticking the frozen food onto the aquarium glass and allowing the fish to pick at the food. I thought I would try it out with the shark pups. Wouldn't you know it... they knew exactly what to do!

Here's a couple minutes of video from last night's feeding.
    Shark Pup #6 really likes to eat the polychaete worms; it takes some work, but it manages to eat those big bites.

12. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Too cool! Their markings are beautiful.

So embryo #2 still has yet to hatch?

13. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Great Videos, keep us up dated

14. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    Not yet. But I can remember that we were expecting #6 to hatch weeks before it eventually did, so we're not too concerned yet. When we backlit the egg cases a week or so ago, we could see inside the cases much better and there was still some from for more growth.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    There's been a few events over the past week.
    Over the weekend, we lost two more eggs (#2 and #9); still uncertain as to any causes. We've read that there's about a 30% success rate when hatching shark eggs, so there was some concern about the remaining eggs.
    But this morning, Eric let us know that another shark pup hatched overnight; Shark Pup #3. Eric said that the new pup ate the LRS Chunky frozen foods right away; that was surprising!
    When I stopped by this evening to see the new pup, it was already out front waiting for its first photo.

[​IMG]

When I went to feed the pups, Shark Pup #3 was the first to go after the food! This new pup quickly erased all concerns about its health. After I finished the feedings and turned the water pump back on, the pup started swimming all over the tank from bottom to top! Hurrah!!!

Here's a couple of photos of the three pups hanging out together after their feeding.

[​IMG]

And I like this one... Say, "Cheese!"

[​IMG]

And here's some video that was taken right after all three of the pups were fed; and eating some more!!!

16. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Great video, glad to see the new pup doing so great that fast.

17. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    Not much to update.
    There are still have two eggs left to hatch.
    The three pups are doing very well. When it comes to feeding time at night, we dump some of the water from the food cup into the tank to let the pups know that it is feeding time. They respond by sticking their noses up into the water sniffing for food.

[​IMG]

Once they realize that food is coming, they start swimming around looking for it. We are now feeding the pups by using a very long pipette. By using the pipette to suck up a piece of the LRS Chunky frozen food, the pups can easily chomp and remove the piece of food from the end of the pipette. After feeding each pup a couple of pieces, a few pieces are left loose for the pups to find on their own; which they are quite capable of doing already, even with the water pump left running. (The female Bangaii Cardinalfish also feeds at this time.)

I'll try to get some new video taken of the sharks as they're more active now. It's really neat to see them swim about the tank looking for food; or just exploring the tank.

I almost forgot!!!
    Last week, a student at the high school has expressed interest in continuing the shark hatchery project for the next two years. We have not yet been able to sit down and discuss the project with her (our spring break week) and the school. There's a lot to figure out and schedule for this to continue, but it is exciting to know that this may not be a one-and-done project.

18. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Very cool, I like to see these things taking place. When I was in school I wanted to be a marine biologist and was told not to pursue it and I wouldn't be able to get a job in the field. I still kick myself for listening to those aholes. Lessons learned. Seeing that project go into another year would be amazing! BTW very cool seeing these lil sharks coming along.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    Here's a look into the behavior we see when we show up and remove the screen tops from the tank.
    The shark pups definitely know that a feeding is coming soon as they start swimming in search for food. You will notice that that Pup #10 spends much of the time under the cave on the left end of the tank. This is the location that most of the loose food ends up settling at from the low water flow. The shark pups use their snouts to smell for the food; which I'm sure the sand in that location holds on to much of the scent.

I've also included a photo of Shark Pup #6 with his prize catch; shrimp!
    His appetite is bigger than his mouth! The pup couldn't fit the piece of shrimp in its mouth, but it wasn't about to release the tasty morsel. The pup sat there for many minutes just holding the food in its mouth. As far as I know, it could still be holding onto that piece of shrimp.

[​IMG]

#59 jlanger, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  20. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    There has been another new addition to the Shark Hatchery Lab, Shark Pup #4; just hatched on Sunday.

[​IMG]

This is the fourth pup to hatch at the New Richmond High School. This pup is the smallest to hatch at just 5" in length, but it has already been interacting with the other pups, swam in open water and ate frozen foods immediately.
    I have a short video clip of the pup swimming that I'll clean up later; you can still see evidence of where the pup was attached to the yolk.

[​IMG]

Even with having four shark pups that look very alike, I can readily identify each individual. I thought using the patterning on the dorsal fins would be the easiest method, but it's actually their facial patterns that are the easiest to discern. The shape of the black masks (or the negative space left behind) is unique among each of the pups.

There is still one embryo (Embryo #1) remaining to hatch and it is doing very well; seen moving and breathing inside the egg case.
    With each new addition, the tank is more alive as they swim and search for food. It will be an exciting day when there are five pups swimming around. It'll be a sad day when the school year is over and the fate of the pups is determined; still unknown at this time, but they will most likely go back to Rhinelander.

• Like Like x 1