Live Every Week Like It's Shark Week

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Forum' started by jlanger, Aug 31, 2017.

1. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    NIce picture Jason. What is the approx. size of the pup? In the picture it looks pretty big for being newly born.

2. OP
    jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I would estimate the pup at 7-8" in total length.
    I brought a tape with me, but the pup stayed towards the back or the unaccessible side while I was there, so I didn't get an exact measurement.
    I was a bit surprised to see the actual size of the pup. It's hard to imagine all of that body wrapped up in such a tight space.

3. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Yes The sack hanging on the side of the tank looked to small to hold that size of pup. Hope everything goes good for Alex.

4. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    It's cool to see one hatched. Next hurdle is the first feedings. I hope they go well too.

5. OP
    jlanger

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Here's a somewhat better pic showing the full body of the pup.

[​IMG]

I stopped in for a short visit Thursday night to see if i could get the pup to eat anything. Unfortunately, it was sleeping and seemed annoyed with my attempts to feed it. As I would dangle thawed squid or silversides near it's mouth, the pup would snuggle tighter into the rocks.
    Hopefully, we have better luck this weekend as we plan to stop in a couple of times.

A couple of the other eggs have been very active and those embryos look close to hatching also.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Awesome news to see one hatched! Keep us updated on this weekend's feeding attempts

7. OP
    jlanger

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Jo, Gabby and I stopped by the high school lab this afternoon to check on the shark pup and remaining eggs.
    We were alerted that it looked like another one of the eggs was developing the white film on the outside of the egg case. Indeed, there was the white film on Egg Case #5 and the embryo had died. This was the smallest of the embryos. The three embryos that we've lost have been #5, #6 and #7. I assume that there's no correlation between those events, but I'd like too know if there is a possible cause with them being adjacent to one another.
    The remaining embryos look healthy. I'm anticipating a couple more hatchings in the next week, as a couple of the embryos are getting large for the egg cases.

That was the bad news, now for the good news.

We have a new baby shark pup!
    After the quick inspection of Egg Case #5, I found Shark Pup #6 and then discovered that under another rock was a second shark pup; Shark Pup #10. This pup looks to be a little smaller than the first, but it was quite active in moving around under the rocks; switching positions quite often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We attempted another feeding with Shark Pup #6. The pup would make a quick grab at the food (silversides or squid), but didn't take a second bite to try and eat the food. Perhaps, we would have better success during the evenings when the sharks are probably more active.

Here's a couple of pictures from today's visit of Shark Pup #6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Very cool to see another one, Jason. Have you guys tried PE Mysis yet? I've had good luck with that as a first food.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    jlanger

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for the suggestion, Riley.
    I brought some PE Mysis with me to the lab tonight and both pups took their first bites of prepared foods!

(I'll post more details later.)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Good to hear! There's one hurdle down. Now they just need to stay well fed, and they'll probably do just fine.