Live Every Week Like It's Shark Week

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Forum' started by jlanger, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

I was going to bump this thread asking if those last ones were considered lost causes at this point since the others have died or hatched but you just answered my question. Very cool and exciting.

2. OP
    jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Thanks for following along.

The last two were/are doing well.
    The last embryo is still small enough to have some of the yolk still visible; albeit is getting small.

When the egg cases arrived, they were in various stages of development so we knew that the embryos would hatch out periodically.
    Looking back, there were two of those that we lost that we might have been able to save had we intervened. The embryos were fully developed and we couldn't really see a yolk anymore, so if we would have checked the egg case to see if the opening was okay we could've helped the pup hatch. Not wanting to cause any harm (as we were new to this experience), we left them alone. Two of the other loses were while the embryos were still small and developing, so there was no chance in saving those two.

What has been really interesting is the rapid change in feeding behavior.
    The first pup took quite some time before it decided to eat prepared foods. We tried a variety of frozen foods with not much luck. Once we received the supply of LRS Chunky frozen foods, the pups found some of the items to their liking. After a week or so, they started eating everything in the blend. But these last two pups started eating the prepared foods right out of the egg case. I don't know if the can associate the smell of the food from inside the egg case to what they will eventually be eating, but it's a relief to know that the pups have a source of accepted foods right away.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. OP
    jlanger

Latest and last update.
    (Mostly copied from my Facebook post.)

Today marked the official end of Eric's Shark Hatchery Project.
    The pups were caught this morning and placed into a couple of shipping pails and I drove them over to the LiveAquaria Coral Farm in Rhinelander, WI.

[​IMG]

From the start, this was an exciting project for Eric and our entire family. Over the past six months, we spent a lot of time observing, discussing, feeding and caring for the eggs and the shark pups. We were thrilled when a pup hatched. We were saddened when one passed. We called each egg case and pup by a number, but we knew exactly which one was which when we discussed their progression, behaviors and personalities. They became our extended pets.
    We knew that this day was coming when we had to bring them back, but there is still an emptiness knowing that they're no longer just a short drive away. This story really does end like most lost pet stories; "Your dad drove them up to a farm where they'll be happy with other animals just like them." I did just that.

Here's one of the pups in the transportation bucket.

[​IMG]

And then here it is going through the acclimation procedure at the facility.

[​IMG]

And then the two pups were released into a holding tank with another shark pup; lower left corner. This pup was hatched from an egg that was brought in on the same shipment that our eggs were a part of, so there's a very good possibility that these pups may be siblings.

[​IMG]

I would like to personally thank everyone that help contribute to Eric's project.
    Foremost, Kevin Kohen that supported Eric's interest in sharks so many years ago. The staff at Doctors Foster and Smith/LiveAquaria's facility in Rhinelander that donated much needed supplies, live rock and the shark eggs for the project.
    Also a big thanks to Rachel Zabel Sauvola for allowing Eric the opportunity to bring a saltwater system into the high school for this project.
    Thanks to Larry DuPont for donating LRS frozen foods that were a huge factor in getting the newly hatched pups to eat prepared foods.
    A few of my hobbyist friends (Angie, Riley, Ryan, Paul) that donated equipment/supplies towards the project.
    Everyone that donated to Eric's GoFundMe page that raised funds to help with buying the tank, equipment and supplies needed for the project.
    If I forgot anyone specifically, I apologize as I'm doing this off of my memory.

Eric will graduate from New Richmond High School next week and will be attending the University of Minnesota - Duluth (UMD) in the fall; studying biology as he wants to continue to working with sharks.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

Very very cool story. What a great journey! Thanks for sharing with us.

5. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Glad to help out, been fun following along!

6. Stpaulhawk

TCMAS Supporter

Fantastic thread. Congrats to Eric & company on their success and I hope the program continues. Connecting people with animals/nature always has positive benefits in the future.

Those sharks are awesome too.

7. OP
    jlanger

Thanks, guys.

To follow up on the project...
    The school will continue the program with the saltwater aquarium next year. Preliminary thoughts are to run the system as a FOWLR with a various "colorful" reef fish; not necessarily sharks again. So it's somewhat relieving to know that this wasn't all done for one project and then it's torn down and forgotten. The system will continue to run over the summer with weekly check-ins by the teacher and incoming student taking over the project; just to keep the tank operational. As of right now, there are still the two fish in the tank; a Rainford's Goby and a Bangaii Cardinalfish. I will be removing the two fish and bringing them back to my place for now. The Rainford's Goby would be a great addition to my office tank while I will be looking to rehome the cardinalfish.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RSnodgrass

Those gobies are fantastic aren't they?!

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    jlanger

10. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

What a journey! This has been a cool thread to watch. It's nice to see the school continue with a saltwater setup for next year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NotJacques

NotJacques Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Congrats on the project and the many educational benefits it created. The scope of it was impressive from the start, and then it actually happened! Cool to hear the project may become the start of a saltwater legacy at the HS.

• Like Like x 1
  12. OP
    jlanger

Eric just cannot seem to get away from sharks.
    While vacationing in Florida this past week, he spent some down time between planned activities doing a little pier fishing; a nice little bonnethead.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. OP
    jlanger

I can neither confirm nor deny the following, but...
    Two captive-hatched Banded Cat Shark pups were released yesterday on the LiveAquaria Diver's Den listings.
    I dropped off our pups to the facility seven weeks ago...

14. OP
    jlanger

After some brief sleuthing, it's been confirmed.
    "These are the sharks we were looking for."

Here's a pic of the male pup as listed on the Diver's Den site...
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of Shark Pup #3 while acclimating at the facility when I brought them over in May...
    [​IMG]

Although the colors are darker in the LiveAquaria photo, you can easily identify the pup by the markings on the pectoral fins, pelvic fins and the dorsal fins. For me, the dead giveaway is the "freckles" on the snout that show up in both photos; I used those freckles to quickly identify Pup #3 while he was in the lab.

So... if anyone was looking to add a Banded Cat Shark to their home aquarium, I know of a few people that would be interested [excited] in stopping over for a visit or two.

15. OP
    jlanger

Not really an update, but...

We've been spending most of the time that we've all been at home packing up what Eric needs to bring with him to UMD next weekend; and packing/throwing away the mountain of crap he's accumulated over the years that he's not taking with him.
    One of the more recent items that we attended to tonight was the posterboard display for his Shark Hatchery Project. That made me come down into my office and re-read this thread to reminisce about the project we started discussing right around this time last year.

I miss those sharks.

16. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Here I thought you were going to update that your bought that speckled epaulette pair (Hemiscyllium trispeculare) on Diver's Den, but nope.

[​IMG]

17. OP
    jlanger

Those two pups looked amazing!
    It seems a few of those sharks have been popping up around the hobby lately; hadn’t ever seen them available before now.

18. RSnodgrass

That was a fun project to follow along. Up until then I hadn't paid much attention to the hatching or rearing of shark pups.