Mangrove Tank Ideas

Discussion in 'Brackish water' started by BadOmen, Nov 14, 2012.

1. BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Getting a Red Mangrove at the swap, but I'm having a hell of a time thinking of how I should go about it. Also technically this won't be Brackish (1.025sg) I just thought this section suited it best. Also, Mangroves have always been my favorite biome around. I'm really pumped to finally get one.

First before I get into Ideas and Questions I'm going to start off by saying this will literally take 1 minute out of my life....just long enough to top-off water, I want a thread for once that doesn't go to **** right from the get-go.

So I've done some researching and it looks like they take a long time to grow which is part of the reason I got it (one source said it can take 3 years for it to get the way you want). Since it is slow growing, once I leave for college all my parents need to do is fill a Milk Jug with FW and pour (or fill all 4 of them at once and just pour when water level is low). Along with just making sure it gets misted and the room doesn't get too cold.

Now, I have no clue what I plan on using as a scape. I already know this will have minimal, if any, corals in it. I was thinking going for something like C. Prolifera to add a "grassy" look.

Anyone else have any Ideas on how I should go about this? Since this won't have corals it doesn't even have to be anything "Reef Friendly".

Only thing I'm worried about with Macro-Algae is wouldn't it compete with the Mangrove for food? I've read they are nutrient whores. If you do suggest Macro-Algae it would be great if you could give some examples that are not your usual generics (I especially hate Grape caulerpa).

(Sorry for lack of Pictures :( )

2. reeflover

reeflover I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Nice thing about Mangroves is they don't requiry seawater to survive. In fact, they do best in fresh water or mildly brackish, and will probably grow even faster for you in fresh. In brackish, it might be cool to make it into a sailfin molly tank, or if in a bigger tank with gobies, monos or scats. Just an idea.

3. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Well it's my SW 20g that I never ended up taking down (shhh, it's a secret) and I feel that I can make a more natural scape with saltwater. Having the live sand, rock and billions of micro-organisms in my tank already. I'm not ready to give up all the hard work and money spent on those little guys to just botch them and go back a step to FW again.

I will most likely end up with multiple Mangroves in different tanks, because of the fact that, as stated earlier, I LOVE Mangroves. Got the PVC ready for my little DIY "Air Root Creator". Will take a couple months till the roots are actually in the air, but 100% worth replicating.

4. Alunai

Alunai Fedora Chick-Dream big!

Fishies collected:
    I'm actually genuinely interested in this one. I've always been interested in mangroves. I'll keep an eye on this.

5. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Yep, I'm excited because I haven't seen a single picture where someone has tried the technique I'm using to get air-roots.....they just look like sticks sticking out of the tank.

Will make a build thread once I get my Mangrove this Saturday :kackle:

Kind of wish I would've gone for 2-3 though instead of one :/

6. Xmn reeferX

Fishies collected:
  7. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Nope, but the Mangroves still are just sticks in the sand with leaves at the top. I'm going for more of a gnarled look.

8. lr9788

lr9788 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I hope this tank comes and stays. It has a lot of potential to be a one of a kind reef

9. MAXreefer

MAXreefer Administrator
    Staff Member Site Admin Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Looking forward to follow this project....

10. zwalk1839

Fishies collected:
    with bonsai trees, specifically various ficus trees, creating aerial roots involves constant high humidity levels. i assume that mangroves are the same. creating a "greenhouse" around the tank and using a humidifier will make that possible. people use straws to guide the aerial roots into the soil once they start to sprout. this is a great build idea and im looking forward to the outcome. i highly recommend joining a bonsai forum and looking at some indoor bonsai... bonsainut.com...dallasbonsai.com/forum...there are others i cant remember right now

11. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    From what I have read, the way you get mangroves to make air roots is to slowly slide them further up the PVC as they grow and then keep doing it till roots come out of the water.

Mangroves are probably different from Bonsais in the sense that Mangroves develop their air roots due to intertidal changes in water level. I'll have to keep that in mind though. Maybe seran rap over the top?

Thanks for all the kind comments! I'm definitely pumped about getting this thing set up.

12. Alunai

Alunai Fedora Chick-Dream big!

Fishies collected:
    I must say BadOmen, while I had thus far tended to perceive you as impulsive and flitty (no offense intended), I really am interested in this idea and hope this project comes to fruition for you. I agree that this has potential to be a very cool and unique reef habitat. I will be happily following along with this thread. :biggthumpup: Now with that said, I will warn you that I'll be on your case if you come up with other projects, 'cause I want to see THIS one come through!!

13. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Well hope you're around for another 3 years then! ^.^