Marine Pure blocks

Discussion in 'Advanced Topics' started by Dane, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Dane

Dane Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Are they worth buying? Where's the best placement for these? Can anyone with experience with these products share some additional knowledge on the subject?

2. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    #2 Nickz, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I have two of the 8x8x4 blocks in my sump.

I added them based on the desire to have more area for biological filtration. I was having issues with high nutrients and was attacking the problem from all sides. I performed massive water changes, carbon dosed, added the media along with bacterial supplements and eventually replaced my sand bed. In the long run, replacing the sand bed determined that the source of my issues was an old sand bed. But I'm sure that having the added media blocks and bacterial supplements have helped boost the biological filtration in my tank.

Like I said, I have two of the blocks in my sump. They're placed side by side vertically to create a 8x8x8 block. The water flow in the sump flows up against the side of one of the blocks and then eventually over the blocks and into the next chamber. The second block doesn't really receive any direct water flow so I hope that is where the denitrification is happening to eliminate nitrates.

Are they worth buying? Depends.
    If you're looking for solution to increase surface area for biological filtration, absolutely! The surface are of these blocks is incredible compared to live rock or other synthetic media. If you prefer to have minimal live rock in your display, the ceramic blocks are a good source of increasing the available surface area for bacteria.
    If you're looking for a simple solution to eliminating nutrients, possibly. You'll need to determine where the nutrients are coming from and attack the source. The ceramic media will help foster bacteria to help maintain biological filtration, but it's not a silver bullet to eliminating nutrients.

After placing the blocks in my sump, I think they're worth it.
    They're a good resource for fostering bacteria; which is never a bad thing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Flounder

Flounder Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Jason stole my answer, which is fine cause i didn't want to type it all out. I too have 2 blocks in my sump between baffles so ALL the sump water passes through them. Very happy, will do again

5. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    The one downside is it does leach aluminum. Under normal circumstances with water changes its not enough to matter but if your running Al based gfo as well or low water changes it might be something to avoid.

#5 David Grigor, Nov 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  6. coralreefer

coralreefer I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    As David said the one knock would be the leaching of aluminum. If this is a concern some good alternatives would be Seachem Matrix or Sera Siporax.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    Dane

Dane Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Im working on/planning a 180 gallon build with a minimalistic aquascape, 2 inch sand bed and 100ish pounds of pukani. Was hoping to add some blocks to aid in surface area. Placement was my concern because my understanding is they should be somewhere flow isnt.

#7 Dane, Nov 13, 2016
  8. Jucksta

Jucksta Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Good to know about the aluminum. I don't recall ever reading or hearing that before.