My First Reef, 5.5 Gallon

Discussion in 'Nano and Pico reef systems' started by Tannersaquatics, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Tannersaquatics

Fishies collected:
    Hi everyone, I just set up a 5.5 gallon saltwater reef tank not too long ago, about 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it. As of right now, I have no filter (naturally filtering), 1 small koralia (need to get smaller pump), a cheap heater that has worked very well for me (have them in other tanks), 1 13W ZooMed 50/50 PC light (need something new), live sand, live rock, some zoas, mushrooms, GSP, Hermit Crabs, Cerith Snails, Nassarius Snails, beautiful Yellow Clown Goby and baby Occellaris Clown.

Now my Issue is, I am trying to figure out some nice lighting, but the problem is....I'm on a College Student Budget so I don't really want to spend $100 on a set up. So any ideas anyone?

Before I had all my Corals
    [​IMG]

My little Clown Goby :)
    [​IMG]

2. Lukas

Fishies collected:
    A heads up ;
    There's going to be a set-back if you don't want to spend $100 on a lighting set up.
    you're also going to want a skimmer I bet, before you add much more into the aquarium.

#2 Lukas, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  3. odie

Fishies collected:
    Not to dissagree but....I dont think you will need a skimmer. With that small of a tank you can do water changes and be more effective than a little skimmer. 1-2 gallons a week would do great IMHO depending on how much rock is in there.

I have heard a lot of good about the Finnex lights. Especially the Finnex Ray II but that might be too large.

4. Nanofreak79

Nanofreak79 zoapalythoaddict

Fishies collected:
    You don't need a skimmer on that size tank, just do your weekly water changes. As far as lighting the Coralife mini aqualite works quite well. I've used it in the past, and you can keep most everything besides highlight corals. I've kept softies as well as acans and hammers/frogspawn under it. You can pick these up for about $50 bucks. I have one with clear aqua legs i could part with if you want to pm me. The other solution for lighting these small tanks is par bulbs, or DIY led setup.