My Fish is now at University!

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Forum' started by jlanger, Feb 11, 2018.

1. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

That rock wall seems to look pretty good Bill. How have you been liking it so far?

2. OP
    jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

I can’t speak for how much Bill is liking the wall overall, but when the angelfish made its first lap around the wall, Bill was very excited.

• Like Like x 1
  3. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

#43 capman, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  4. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

#44 capman, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  5. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

I'm really liking how the rock wall is working out. And some of the fish tend to take shelter there, just back from the rocks that protrude forward. The cardinalfish were doing this last night - very cool.

It will be much cooler with corals on it of course, and corals along the sides will soften or conceal the straight edges on the left and right. I'm thinking of putting things like Sinularia and Nepthea and purple vase sponges on each side, since they are soft and would not create problems with sliding down plastic egg crate panels if I want to isolate that back portion of the tank at some point when introducing new fish, for example, or for trapping fish.

I'm pretty pleased with the rest of the rockwork as well, though I worry about how the current open spaces that I like about the tank right now are going to get filled in by coral growth. I think I'll probably be able to retain the open space in the center, though it might turn into a big open cave due to corals growing over it.

I worry a little that my main free standing rock structure on the left was built a little too close to the water surface, possibly not allowing enough space overhead for coral growth, but there is at least a foot of space for corals over this rockwork. There is always such a struggle between building rockwork that looks good at the start vs remembering that the rockwork is really just scaffolding for live corals, and that in time the live corals will be creating and defining the reef structure.

I'm determined to retain decent open space for swimming in the front and on the sides. We'll see how well I manage this!

6. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

I also am worrying that in my mind I've overstocked this tank with fish several times over. I need to really think carefully about priorities.

7. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

The tuxedo urchins are not captive bred. They are the wild collected ones we bought last Monday for spawning for my student's research project. (Thus far, their offspring are doing well).

8. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

I kind of figured that folks who were interested in a better view of the tank would enjoy the videos I posted above....