MysterRC's 80g office build - returning to the hobby

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by MysterRC, Feb 2, 2018.

1. MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Hello everyone. I'm returning to the hobby after having sold almost everything to try to save up to do things a little better this go-around.

I settled on an 80g deep blue professional tank I bought from a gentleman in Osseo and started out that way. I have always liked the shallower tanks as it is easier to work on and I enjoy looking down on the corals/fish.

I ordered an IceCap 36 sump, which looked to be about perfect for this setup. Unfortunately, when the sump came I could not fit it in the stand that came with the tank. I went back online looking for a better alternative and happened to stumble on a nice steel one from one of the TCMAS Directors (I think that is what he said he was?).

Fast forward to now and I have a tank set up I'm actually enjoying again. Here is a FTS, though it isn't a lot to look at yet, mostly bare rock...

Equipment:
    • 80g Deep Blue Professional (48x24x16)
    • IceCap 36 sump
    • Orphek Atlantik LED lights
    • Vertex Omega 130 skimmer
    • Reef Octopus Varios-6 return
    • 2 x Jebao RW-8 powerheads
    • Aquafuge2 HOB refugium (medium) w/light
    Fish:

• Gold head goby
    • Lawnmower blenny
    • 5 green/blue chromis
    • blue hippo tang (very small)
    • 2 blood orange percula clownfish
    • "blue" mandarin -- refugium is set up specifically to breed food for this little guy
    Corals:

• Green star polyps
    • Small zoa colony - unknown type
    • Green hammer coral frag
    • Small leather coral frag

As you can see, still pretty scarce in the coral department. I'm hoping to change that, but mostly with a few zoa islands, some other softies and a couple LPS.

I live over in WI so getting over to the Twin Cities is something that doesn't happen too often. I finally decided to bite the bullet and pay for an account so I could be more involved here and hopefully find some frags to add to my collection. All in all, looking forward to it all.

2. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Welcome back, hope things go better for you this time, keep us updated.

3. Juskr

TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Welcome back and keep the pictures coming.

What are your impressions of the Aquafuge2 HOB refugium (medium) w/light? As for flow, what is the noise level of your 2 x Jebao RW-8 powerheads?

Down the road I would like to get a mandarin and am looking for ways to increase pod population beyond buying them. I am also looking to upgrade the flow in my tank while keeping the noise level to a minimum.

4. OP
    MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    @Juskr, I could not be happier with the Jebao pumps so far. They are nearly silent, but I also have them at a very low setting because they move so much water. In a 48"x24" tank, they move way more water than I need... in fact, keeping the sand where I want it was a little challenging. If I had to do it again I would have gone for a smaller powerhead.

Regarding the refugium, I'm happy with it so far except for one giant oversight. That is the return is a wide open spillway that results in splashing with no easy way to fix or cover it! They sell a bubble trap that hangs on it that I might get and then rig up a cover for, but for now I am stuck with the noise and splash.

I bought pods to seed my refugium with. Other than the return flow issue, I really like the refugium. Here is a picture of what it looks like hanging on the end of my tank.

20180129_150957.jpg

Anyone know what type of zoa this would be called? I know it might be a tad difficult with the white balance being so skewed.

20180125_175524.jpg

5. mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Welcome back! The tank looks great. I'm glad the stand worked out for you.

6. OP
    MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    'Lo and behold, the Petco in Eau Claire got some fire&ice and eagle eye zoas in. Could not resist, they had to have a home in my tank. Impressed with the fire&ice purchase, I counted 60+ heads on there. Many are small, but there are a ton. Waiting for more to open 'cause it could be closer to 70-80 heads pretty easily.

I'm also happy to say my refugium has a ton of copepods crawling around in it now. My mandarin should have plenty to feed on as they spill out. I also fixed the splashing from the refugium return, so much happier across the board.

Will be over in Green Bay this weekend for a wedding and there just happens to be a frag swap happening in Kaukana.... hopefully I get to attend as it will be the first time I've been able to attend any.

7. OP
    MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Attended the Green Bay swap and of course could not come home empty handed. Not that much, but enough to spruce my tank up a little bit. In the end, came home with some armor of god zoas, bam bam zoas, some unnamed zoas, and an orange/yellow torch that I haven't seen before.

Couple poor quality cell phone images attached.

20180214_072838.jpg 20180214_072829.jpg