Nassarius Larvae

Discussion in 'Aquatics Breeding (Fish, coral, inverts)' started by fishteer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. fishteer

fishteer Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Have any of you folks had Nassarius snail eggs hatch in your tank and the larvae actually survive and grow? I have seven Nassarius. The same seven have been happily living in my seahorse tank's sand bed for seven years. Every few weeks several of them climb up the glass or (their favorite place) onto a sponge covering my little circulation powerhead. There they have an orgy and lay gobs and gobs of eggs. I always leave the eggs undisturbed, but I have never seen them hatch. And I have never seen snail larvae crawling around my tank.

Is an aquarium just generally too inhospitable an environment for snail reproduction? Not that I'm aiming to breed snails -- just curious!

2. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Not certain what the larvae require for care, but I'd suspect that moving the eggs to a separate tank with gentle aeration and live phytoplankton would be the way to raise them.

3. zoolan70

zoolan70 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    [FONT=&quot]According to Dr. Ron Shimek, the free floating plankton veliger stage will last 3-5 weeks. At that point, any survivors will transform into juvenile snails with a shell. The juveniles will take 2-3 years to reach adulthood. Assuming that you have plankton that they will eat in the water column, you might get lucky and have a few survive. I know I have different sized snails in my sand bed, so I can only assume that a couple of the probably millions of eggs laid made it to adulthood.[/FONT]