New Member - Getting back into hobby and could use some advice

Discussion in 'New to the hobby?' started by Juskr, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Juskr

Fishies collected:
    Hello everyone,

My name is Justin and I am getting back into the hobby after a 10 year break. I live in Eden Prairie MN, and have a wife and two kids (4 & 6). In the past I have had numerous freshwater and saltwater tanks with my favorite being a tank comprised of a pair of tank raised seahorses. I haven't tried corals in the past but recently came across a fully stocked tank on Craigslist and decided to take the plunge.

New Tank Specs. Full Tank 2.jpg
    • 75 Gallon - Not Drilled :(
    • Aqueon Proflex Model 1 sump
    • CPR Aquatic Overflow box
    • Reef Octupus Skimmer HOB Classic 2000
    • Aquatic Life 4 bulb T5HO+Lunar
    • 2 Hydor Koralia Evo Pumps (1150 & 850)
    • 1260 Eheim Return Pump
    Live stock (Fish)
    • Sailfin Tang
    • Blue Tang
    • Tomoato Clown
    • Six Line Wrasse
    • Kaudern's Cardinal Fish
    • Chromis
    • Royal Gramma Basslet
    Corals/Inverts/etc
    • Elegance Coral
    • Neon Green Frogspawn
    • Green and Reddish Button Polyps
    • Orange Zooxanthellae
    • 5 Rose Colored Anemones
    • Brittle Star
    • 3 Astraea Turbo Snails
    Questions: (I have so many but will keep it simple to start)
    1. Does anyone have any extra Chaetomorpha Algae in the SouthWest Metro? I want to setup a refugium in the sump. The sump is small but I believe it will work. I purchased an Auqa Gadget magna Fudge LED light and marinepure bio balls for the compartment and just need the Chaeto to complete.

2. I believe that the Sailfin Tang and Blue Tang that i acquired need a much larger tank and I need to find them a new home eventually. The LFS said they are open to trades for store credit however I was wondering how I could engage TCMAS members in possible trade/exchange/sell? I would like to attend a meeting but there is nothing in the near future and with all the cost of the new tank setup, paying the fee to become a member is not an option at this time.

3. Elegance Coral healthy or suffering? I have been looking online but i cannot find any pictures that show what a healthy coral looks like versus one that is suffering.
    coral.jpg IMG_1454.jpg

I have a lot to learn and look forward to getting to know everyone and learn from their experiences.

2. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Unfortunately the buy/trade/sell is locked until a member or supporter, There should hopefully be some meetings scheduled after the first of the year, December is a tough one as people tend to have a lot going on.

3. OP
    Juskr

Fishies collected:
    Thanks Nickz. I will keep an eye out for meetings in 2018. Excited to meet and engage with others who share in this amazing hobby.

4. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Welcome to TCMAS, like Nick said, go to a meeting and become a member. Hope to see at one of them.

5. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Nice looking tank, and welcome back!

As for the elegance, It looks good to me but ive never kept one. so take that with a grain of salt

6. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Elegance if you can get past the first year with it, then you in the clear. Any idea how long the previous owner has kept it ? Its looks great by the way. They can from time to time close up for a few days but when that happens just look to be sure not receeding around the edges and no jelly like substance. As with any hard corals most important is to keep you alkalinity reading at or above 7dkh and calcium above 360ppm.

That is for sure the prize of the craigslist find.

What are you using for monitoring salinity ?

You will need to be a member to see the classified if you want to sell the tang but that type of tang doesn't need as much swimming room as other types so your fine to wait. Meetings should start back up in January and hopefully twice a month. Where your located it shouldn't be too much trouble to find one to attend.

#6 David Grigor, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  7. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President

Fishies collected:
    OOOOOOR you could host a meeting (you decide how many can attend) and we come over to nerd out with you and your new system to bestow wisdom (o:

8. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    must be a member to host a meeting...

Do I need to be a current member in order to host a meeting? = YES

9. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Staff Member Site Admin Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Technically you need to be a member before you can host

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    (cough) OOOOOOR you can come to a meeting and then host.... Etc etc (o:

11. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    LMAoooooooooooooooooooo

12. DarkSky

DarkSky TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Welcome! There are a number of us in EP, so don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

Jeremy

13. OP
    Juskr

Fishies collected:
    Thanks David for the feedback. I emailed the previous owner and he stated that he has had the elegance coral for over 2 years. For salinity I am using a Digital Seawater Refractometer - Milwaukee (MA887). Unfortunately my purchase did not come with a calcium test. I do have a Hanna Checker for Phosphates and Alkalinity. The last reading I took a few days ago for Alkalinity was 120 which I believe is a little low. I have a few different supplements I can use.

Do you feel I should know my calcium levels before starting supplements?

On another note, David I looked at your tanks page and noticed you had a 90 gallon back in 2000. My current tank is 75 and I have seen 90 gallons with the same length and width where I could get a drilled one to reduce the noise the back overflow produces. What was your experience with your 90 gallon?

14. David Grigor

Fishies collected:
    For a reef tank, IMO there is little difference between a 75g and 90g. The demensions are the same only the height changes. For a reef tank the front to back depth is more important for aquascaping. For many tangs and other fish the length can be more important. So there are no real advantages to a 90g over a 75g IMO. Best to jump right to a 120g if your limited to 48" length.

Sounds like you got a good one in the elegance, they are pretty hard to come by that have acclimiated to tank life well. While its pretty normal for them to sometimes close up for a day or two but if goes much longer than that then it's an alarm.

Ideally yes, you will need to also track Calcium. It doesn't have to be as closely monitored as ALK but kept at minimum at 360ppm. Most will shoot for ranges in the 420-450ppm range. This is at full 1.026 salinity.

I really like the digital milwaukee for salinity. But keep the sensor clean and rinse with RO/DI after everyuse so there is no salt residue to skew the results. Some units have been known to read of by as much as .02 so get some calibration 35ppt/1.026 fluid to verify not just the stuff that comes with the unit.

15. OP
    Juskr

Fishies collected:
    Thanks Jeremy, where in EP are you located? I am off Valley View RD and Baker Road (near Bent Creek Golf Course).

By random chance do you have any extra Chaetomorpha Algae?

16. OP
    Juskr

Fishies collected:
    I would love to host a meeting and receive hands on advice on my setup and things I could do to make things better. In reality, I would need to attend a meeting to know what hosting a meeting entails and what to expect. Plus I want to abide by the rules of the community. My wife and 2 kids (4 & 6) add to the challenge of hosting but are not deal breakers.

17. RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    If you've ever had people over for football and left a bag of doritos out you've got the beginnings of a meeting my friend. But yes you should attend one (o:

18. OP
    Juskr

Fishies collected:
    Hi Dave, I quickly realized the challenge of aquascaping with a 75 as the depth limits options. I would love to do a 120 but unfortunately the tank i purchased had a custom stand and canopy which was a big factor in the decision process so I need to stay within the dimension of 48 by 18. I have looked at how I could modify the current stand and canopy to accommodate a deeper tank but that would likely be a very difficult to keep it looking very nice.

With the added height of a 90 gallon, would my current lighting (T5 4 bulb) need to be upgraded or would I be able to get by. My thought is if I can find a 90 gallon drilled tank with the right dimensions, i would be able to reduce the sound my current overflow produces plus the piece of mind of a drilled tank.

19. OP
    Juskr

Fishies collected:
    So basically what I do every Sunday when my son's hockey practice does not conflict with the Vikings... Got it :)

20. David Grigor

Fishies collected:
    I always recommend using what you have at least for now so yes 4 bulb should be fine at least for now. Should still be fine for a community tank with acros/sps in the top 25% and LPS soft in the rest.

Not really sure how a 90g could solve aquascaping as it only makes it worse with the added height and more light penetration. If you put a gun to my head and said Reef ready 90g or reef ready 75g, I'd choose 75g reef ready, 90g height just doesn't add any value to me.

#20 David Grigor, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017