Discussion in 'New to the hobby?' started by ReefSitter, Apr 13, 2018.

1. ReefSitter

ReefSitter Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Hello, my name is Mike. I live in New Hope with my wife, 2 year old son, and one coming next month.
    I have been running a 29 gallon biocube for around a year now keeping mostly LPS and a couple SPS.

I have been working on accumulating equipment to upgrade to a 100 gallon soon(I like the length of the 100, but would the depth of the 120 be more functional?) .

My dad was an active member around 10 years ago and I just recently started picking up the hobby. He used to have an acro going around called "Reefsitter special" which I hope to find a frag of once I get my new system setup and running. Not sure if it is still around.. haven't seen any posts mentioning it in the last couple years.

Looking forward to the expo tomorrow.

[​IMG]

2. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Welcome, not sure what dimensions you are talking about for a 100, there used to be a 72" x 18"x18" 105 or something like that but haven't been made in about 15 years. The 120 fatboy is a nice tank with the 2' width

#2 Nickz, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  3. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I remember the reefsitter coral but never saw one in person. Welcome to the forum/club!

4. OP
    ReefSitter

ReefSitter Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Sorry, poorly worded. Meant it as "is the extra width of the 120 a big upgrade or is it more up to personal preference?"

5. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    I personally would take a 4' 120 fatboy over a 6' 125 any day of the week for saltwater tank. I find the extra 6" front to back to make a huge difference when filling with liverock, the 4' length will keep lighting cheaper as well.

6. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Welcome!

My preference would be the 120gal also. Nick stated very good reasons as to why; depth and lighting options.
    If you really want a tank that is six feet in length, I would jump up to the 180gal; 72"x24"x24". The footprint is only six inches wider, but that six inches is very valuable inside the tank. 180gal tanks are just as common as the 125gal, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find one around.

I used to have a frag of the Reefsitter Acro that I acquired from David Grigor; great looking coral. He may be your best option at finding a frag for your tank.
    That's kind of cool, though; having a frag of a coral that your father passed along to the club.

7. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
  8. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I have an increased appreciation for the 80 gallon with same L x W as fat boy but not quite as tall. Great footprint, rimless, and still enough viewing panel...for corals that is. If I was going more fish, 120 and 180 for sure.

9. livestuff

livestuff I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  10. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    As far as the sump, bigger is better but the main thing is does it have room for your equipment. 40 breeders seem to be common for that size tank so as long as what you have fits your needs you should be fine