Opinions on the best low end led units...

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by dougers31, Nov 20, 2017.

1. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thinking about switching my frag tank over to led's from t5's. Looking for something under $170 that would cover an area of approx 24x16. Also looking for reliability(3 years or more), decent growth, and compatible for all kinds of corals. The water level in the frag tank is about 8 inches deep or so. If all goes well eventually might consider switching my display over as well but that's quite a ways down the road. I've heard mixed reviews(most good) of the Chinese led boxes(120-165watt)ranging from $95-$140, but most of the reviews I've read are only a year old or so.

Any input would be appreciated :)

2. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I've been running the sbreeflights for a couple years, no issues they have a modified spectrum and better optics and parts than the black box brs tested.

I will also add in the brs testing video used the marsaqua which I have also used in the past but would not put as good as the sbreeflights. The biggest problem for me was they ran 60 degree optics vs the normal 90 and 120 degree.

I have also run a couple different versions of evergrow leds in the past with no issues.

#2 Nickz, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dana

Dana Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I don't have a lot of experience since this is my first tank, first light, but I've been using the marsaqua 300w model on my 40B mixed reef for 2 years now and It has worked pretty good for me. I ran it 100% on both channels at about 17 inches about the surface. Some of the leds themselves are starting to dim...maybe crapping out, I'm not sure. More recently, I decided that I didn't really like the way my corals were looking colorwise. I'm pretty sure I was running the light too intense so I can only surmise that my corals were losing color as a result. Angie let me take her maxspect light home and I noticed difference within a couple days. I'm not totally sure how to explain it but everything seems "happier". I'm sure it's a combination of things, spectrum, intensity, etc.

4. OP
    dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Watched most of the brs comparison(not exactly apples to apples in many ways)video and came away with my main concern being the power supply. Any idea if either the reefbreeder or sbreeflights fixtures have UL listed power supplies? After reading through 2 pages(many more to read) on R2R brs black box thread it sounds like both the reefbreeder and sb brands have the best reviews. Thanks for the info so far :)

5. zoolan70

zoolan70 Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    I have 5 MarsAqua and 1 SBreeflights over my tank. You can't tell the difference in growth at all. Most of my corals are in the top 18" of the tank. If you are talking about a frag tank, it is about growth and not color, so I would be concerned at all using them stock.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    I haven't ripped them open to look for UL listing on them. The other thing to note is UL is only USA and Canada, CE is the equivalent from Europe, not sure what is in Asia. I have thought about that part after their review then also thought about the literally millions of the black boxes in use over several years world wide. If there was a issue shouldn't there be thousands of posts out there about it, Or at least 5-10? People are always posting bad when it happens.

I also have been in the flexible and rigid-flex circuit and pcb industry for just under 20 years, most of the circuit boards made here do not have ul listing except the pure hardboards (pcb). Most of the applications I've dealt with are medical, military, and aerospace. The sad part is the ones that have had the UL stamp had it long before they had any components attached to them.

#6 Nickz, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Oahu

Oahu Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Before I upgraded to the Radion's, I was running 2 Euphotica 16" full spectrum lights. These had upgraded heat-sinks and ran great for 3+ years. I was able to grow SPS with no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zoolan70

zoolan70 Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    I dropped one of my MarsAquas into the tank while running. No muss, just tripped the GFCI. I opened it all up and ran a fan over it for a few days, and it fired right back up. I wouldn't be worried about them bursting into flames or anything.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for the replies so far.... Thinking about going with SBreeflights as I've read some good things elsewhere on them. If nothing else it will maybe be a slight upgrade over my standard used black box light that I use at frag swaps :) For $135 I might as well give it a try.

10. SuperJay

SuperJay Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I've been using the Ocean Revive LED's for a few years and they seem ok. I have mostly LPS with some Montipora. I run them at a very low percentage. Like as low as you can go on the day light, and about 30% on the blues. I've never used a par meter, just been eyeballing how the corals seem to like it. I've never had any other LED's to compare them too.
    I have been kicking around trying T5 lighting instead though, to see if I could get some faster growth.

11. arden-mjb

arden-mjb Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I have the Aquamaxx nano fixture over my 5.5 gallon and the zoas, leathers, and mushrooms are growing quickly. Cost was $70 new and it's easily programmable with a slim profile. I'm pretty sure the next size up is under $120 and fits tanks 24" to 36"

12. RedLine

TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I was on a budget getting my first tank started, 70 gal and 48” long. I went with DSunY from eBay. The lights have been good with a simple program, though I am on a track to turn down the intensity. Simple led fixtures in various sizes. Can’t compare growth since this is my first tank. Looking to purchase a par meter soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. OP
    dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    SBreeflights has a 10% off coupon code(WHATCORALSCRAVE2017) so I think I'm I'm gonna pull the trigger on the basic 16" fixture and see how it goes :)