Palytoxin safety

Discussion in 'Zoanthids' started by Leicester56, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Now that I know I have some palythoa species growing in my tank I have been researching how to safely interact with my tank. I know I should wear gloves when touching live rock and palythoas, and never to touch my eyes unless I have washed my hands thoroughly. I could not find any literature pertaining to the possibility of the presence of these toxins in the water column if I am not handling these items ( feeding fish, changing water, taking samples for water testing). Does anyone know if there is risk involved with these activities? Do the toxins build up in the tank even if the Palys are not disturbed?

2. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Common sense is all that is needed. Some people's skin is more sensative than others when dealing with tank water and may get a slight rash if you are sensative. I myself have never had any issues or concerns.

Only time really have to be careful would be fragging them as they can squirt but otherwise just common sense. I wear prescription glasses, never felt the need for protection goggles certainly won't hurt though to be more cautious.

3. Bambam507

Bambam507 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Girlfriend had rash on her arm from reaching into salt mix ( well after it was mixed)

My thought on this with us being in the great white north going to ER after incident with a poisenes fish or coral may not have very good treatment here BC not common. So maybe do your research on way to er for treatment .

4. Bambam507

Bambam507 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I learned by example when I watched fellow reefer get sick after fragging. He didn't wash after fragging and went out for a smoke. He refused to go to er.

He got very red , sweaty, numb face, and I think his vision was affected.

He was stubborn and slept it off