Peroxide Dosing

Discussion in 'Advanced Topics' started by rlinusc, Jun 13, 2016.

1. rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Has anyone on the forums had experience with H202 dosing? if so can you let me know

1) at what concentrations? (solution of h202 and to what volume of tank water)
    2) for how long?
    [​IMG] what were you trying to battle against?
    4) did you have any shrimp in the tank- especially cleaner,sexy, or peppermint shrimp?

What was your experience?

Right now i am battling a GHA and cyano outbreak. My parameters are all at 0, both nitrate and phosphate and i am running both a GFO and an ATS. I have increased flow as well, but it is just slowly getting worse. Manual removal of some of the hair algae has been extremely hard as it just doesn't tear off easily.

2. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I've drained the tank down as much as possible and used a spray bottle of peroxide to spray the algae directly. Then fill it back up and the algae will have changed color within an hour so you know it's working. It'll be gone in 2-3 days, but the "roots" are not always affected, so re-treatment is often needed.

3. cypho

cypho I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Do you have to be careful to not get peroxide on the coral?

4. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I've used peroxide for a while now to dip rocks. Never dosed the tank though. It is very effective! Green hair and bubble both disappear. I have squirted a few rocks that were in removable with a syringe, this also worked very well.

If you can remove the rocks and dip I would start with that. It will take out pods and stars in the process so that worries be about whole tank dosing.

Lots of other forums posts about dosing with amounts and duration .

As far as corals. I've old dipped zoas, mushrooms, gsp, and maybe a few other "low end" stuff. All of those opened back up the next day

5. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Do not dip sps! Peroxide works well killing pests as well as algae. For dipping zoas I usually use 1:5 ratio of perox to saltwater and dip for a couple of minutes. My zoas always get stressed but recover in a week or so. I used to dose the tank but gave it up after a while as my issues with dinos disappeared on their own... not sure if it was peroxide or they just ran their course.

6. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I've sprayed corals with no problem. I'd probably not spray them directly if possible, but try to get around the base.

I consider this an experimental method for killing algae. It works great, though you assume some risk in killing livestock. Draining the tank and spraying the algae directly is my way of minimizing the amount of peroxide going into the tank. With more expensive corals, or SPS, I dilute the peroxide with tank water more than I would for other corals. So far, I've only killed one out of two fire shrimp in our 75 gallon when I was battling 4 inch hair algae. Algae is completely gone now, and the tank looks great again.