Photo"Suckit!"

Discussion in 'Photography' started by jlanger, Jun 30, 2017.

1. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm not sure how many of you have been affected by Photobucket's new "3rd Party Hosting" restrictions, but I can tell you that I'm less than thrilled. [understatement]

If you're unaware of the situation, Photobucket has replaced all images that are hosted on third party sites (like our forum) with a "dummy" image directing the user to visit their page to update their account. When you get to that page, you're asked to become a P500 member at the low, low cost of $400 per year; a service that has been free!

I've been patient with all of the pop-up ads and banners that have increased over the last year, since I have so many photos uploaded into my library. This latest move has pushed too far. It is now readily apparent that I need to find an alternate photo hosting site so that I may continue to add images to my posts.

I've done a quick perusal of Facebook and see that there are plenty of other unhappy users. I cannot imagine what Twitter and reddit have for comments directed at Photobucket.
    There's a part of me that hopes Photobucket reacts to the backlash and rescinds this absurd change; just like McDonalds removing Hi-C Orange by June 1st.

It sounds like many people are recommending Flickr. Thoughts?

I'd post a meme here, but you wouldn't be able to see it anyways...

2. zoolan70

zoolan70 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I didn't know anything about this...guess its time to move to a new host. They must not want my upgraded storage account very much...

3. KJoFan

KJoFan Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I wasn't aware of the dummy photos and all that BS, but I have been fed up with the popups and overall slowness of the site for awhile. I recently switched to Flickr. Nothing to complain about, but my experience thus far is limited.

My memes posted flawlessly the other day though. ;)

4. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Does imgur link will to the forum?

EDIT: Looks like it works. Sorry for double post.

5. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
  6. Jonty

Jonty I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  7. nrupaw

nrupaw Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Photobucket's been straight up retarded last couple years or so. Happened to go to the site without uBlock Origin and thought the computer is pretty much gonna die on me with popups.

Imgur been awesome to work with recently

8. cypho

cypho I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I've never been a fan of any of the ad supported image hosting companies.

If I was looking for a reliable image host, I would just host it myself. You can rent a web server for pretty cheap and then you will never have to worry about ads or anyone telling you what you can or cannot do or messing with the service. The entry level option from Amazon if free for the first year and then $34/ year after that. So not free, but pretty darn cheap.

Or you can just use the forum's "upload a file" button and host the images directly on the tcmas website.

9. OP
    jlanger

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    You beat me to it.
    I had this thought late last night and I was going to look into it just now. One of my concerns here is that I would really only upload my aquarium photos, so I would still like to have another host for my other photos.

I did sign up for a flickr account last night, but I haven't had the time to look into it or upload anything yet.

10. OP
    jlanger

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    So when I've been able to sit at the computer this weekend, I started poking around with flickr (when I wasn't buying corals from AcanLord's R2R Live Sale; go check it out!).

Before I started to upload any photos, it was a good time for me to organize my folders and eliminate any unwanted photos and folders. I decided to start with my 120gal Build Thread images; for some reason my build thread on R2R still allows my Photobucket images to be seen. Just that folder alone, right now, is going to be around 700 images; I may trim more fat. It took a little getting used to the different interface of the website, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

I just replaced the first two images in my 120gal Mixed Reef build thread.
    I'm happy to see the images again, and not the dummy image begging me to spend $400/year. And I'm also very thankful that this new forum allows the editing of previous posts. But I already see this will be a long process to go through all of my past posts and replace the images.
    Here we go...

11. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I've used Smugmug to host my photos since 2005. Cool thing about it is that while the yearly price has gone up some since I first joined, they've never raised my rate (you are locked in when you join). The give you a lot of control over how your photo's are displayed and whether or not you want them public. They also sell prints if you want some hard copies. You get unlimited storage for $3.99/m.

(note this is a referral link. We both get a discount if you use it to join)
    https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=gpy81rBtNop6c

12. ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens Xenia lover
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I've always just hosted my photos on my own. It costs about $10/month, but I use it for a number of other things so it makes sense. You won't have to worry about low bandwidth limits, or the service terms changing from underneath you. I'm also pretty particular about quality, so it's important for me that the photo that I export is the one that's shown when I post somewhere.

I think when R2R updated their forum software, they started grabbing and caching externally hosted images so that if they're changed, it's not reflected in the forum post. Kind of annoying actually, if you want to take down or swap an image that you've posted in the past.

13. agent462

agent462 I like my tanks wide
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Google Photos; It's free, you can create albums, you can share photos or albums to people securely, they use their fancy machine learning against all your photos so you can search for things in your photos, tag a face once and google will figure out the rest in all other photos, etc.

https://photos.google.com/