Photos of Augsburg's new aquarium facility

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by capman, Sep 14, 2016.

1. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I will say, that I'm having a bit of anxiety over the matter of not just having the display tanks sitting empty for much of our first semester in the new building.

Like I said, we start teaching there Jan 2018 (not a lot more than a year from now), but won't have access until mid Nov 2017.

I'm going to be doing as much advance prep as I can this coming summer (including designing rockwork, building my pvc support structures for rockwork, and even constructing some components of the plumbing). I'll also need to plan out most of the equipment purchases. But there are limits to what can be accomplished without access to the actual space.

2. nate_mcnasty

Fishies collected:
    These pictures are making me really excited for whats to come. I would have never imagined it to come this far!! It is also making me feel a bit jealous of what those students will get to experience. Maybe I should go back for more classes once the construction is completed ;)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Well, you can always stop by whenever you want!

Indeed, after years of the college planning and wondering how fundraising for the building was going to go, this is an amazing thing to see this becoming reality.

4. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Following up with this further...

I just ran into this rendition of how the campus will look once the old (current) science building is gone (and once the new trees have grown a little):

[​IMG]

The old/current science building would be in the middle of this picture (well, upper middle), but you see here that once it is gone (and once the street next to it is gone) there will be a big, long open space with grass, trees, and a pond of sorts.

The new science building is in the upper left corner of this picture

The aquarium room will be on the east side of the building (on the right in these diagrams), on the second floor, just immediately to the north of the skyway.

The following diagram (which was mostly created to show the trees that will be planted) gives a nice top view of the shape of the new science building:

[​IMG]

(These both come from this page: http://www.augsburg.edu/hagforscenter/construction-project-updates/ )

5. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Look at all of those steps!!!
    Hopefully you'll have hired movers to move all of your tanks in! ;)

Yeah, yeah... I'm sure they planned on a service elevator in the plans.

6. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm not sure what steps you're talking about. The area to the south of the building? I'm not sure why that area is shown that way, but there are no big steps there.

(Or maybe you are just talking about getting things up to the second floor. Indeed, there is a service elevator. Its still going to be a pain in the neck (and other places possibly!) getting the big tanks up there! (I think I'll probably be able to have help from the facilities folks though.) )

Incidentally, the area under the greenroof on the south end of the building is the big auditorium type space that will be dividable into either two or three smaller spaces as needed. There are no walls and no roof there yet (just some columns), but I've walked around on the floor there, which they poured not too long ago - it looks like it is going to be quite a nice space.

#26 capman, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  7. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Incidentally, today I walked by the building, and it looks like maybe the pipes for the floor drains and the sink drain are in place for the aquarium room.

Its really surreal seeing details that I was finalizing with the architects as recently as July actually becoming actual physical reality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Yes, we're going to have walls eventually, but it almost seems like a shame to do that to the building...

[​IMG]

Note: The photo is overexposed (well, the building part is overexposed) - it isn't really so incredibly bright as this might make it seem, but it is still pretty stunning looking in person.

#28 capman, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  9. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Coming along nicely - so excited for ya Bill - you are finally getting the set up you deserve!

As far as the move - I dont think you want to use the facility folks - you will have plenty of help from us AKA TCMAS - who sometimes know what we are doing vs (facility folks who have no idea).

But that is all up to you Boss~!

We will be here (as many have stated) when/if ya need/want us

10. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks!

Our head of facilities happens to be stuckeyt's father though... who helped Troy build is 300 gallon tank some years back!

But when it comes to help with moving critters and helping with equipment setup and such, it's certainly going to be TCMAS (and some former students) all the way!

11. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Just realizing this is the start of a build thread like few others.... seldom do we start out with the construction of the building!

12. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I haven't posted here in a while, but I just ran into this nice photo that someone at Augsburg posted:

The building is really coming along (the new aquarium room is just slightly outside the frame of this photo on the far lower left)...

[​IMG]

(Original source of photo: https://twitter.com/chamberm78/status/839181773305233409/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw )

I have some other photos of my own that I should post, but I thought this one was really nice.

We have just passed the halfway point in the building construction.

And there is talk about probably meeting with a Custom Aquariums rep in the new space soon (maybe as early as next week) for precise measurements of the space to be done prior to them starting construction of the stands/enclosures.

#32 capman, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    So, I'm going to get to see the new aquarium space in person this week, for the first time since walls have gone up on the outside of the building, and in the inside as well. I gather that the space is really coming together now, with internal walls and such (I don't know whether any cabinetry or sinks or anything are in place yet though - I'm guessing not).

Maybe I'll have a few photos to share soon...

And even more significant is that next week a rep from Custom Aquariums is coming and meeting with us (with me, the head of facilities, and some of the people in charge of building construction) to take precise measurements and to discuss some details. Custom Aquariums will be building the stands, the enclosures, and the tanks (and... they will be installing all of this too, which means I won't need to be recruiting people to move big, heavy tanks into place - I'm very pleased by this). We might even get some sumps from them - I don't know (I have not seen their sump systems in person yet).

And, I'm now starting to buy some of the equipment for the new systems. I'm feeling a bit restricted, since I don't want to be buying things that have warranties 7 or 8 months prior to putting them in service, but there are some items that would be low risk in this regard.

So, things are starting to get increasingly real here.

14. Chris Goetz

Chris Goetz I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Awesome news! Can't wait to see it all come together and check it out when you host your next meeting!

15. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Ooooh oohhh - I wanna see!!!!

16. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    OK, so I've been bad about posting photos here, and there are some intermediate steps in the construction that I haven't shown. But I was able to have a really quick visit to the new science building this past Wednesday to see where things stand.

The aquarium room seems to be pretty much finished, aside from a few details (and final electrical work won't be happening until after the tank stands and tanks are installed in November, which is when we will be able to start moving in to the building).

Here are a few hastily shot photos:
    [​IMG]

Directly in front of the opening in the wall in this first photo will be our display aquaria (they will basically make up the south wall of one of our two general biology labs.

The backs of the tanks will pretty much be in line with the wall, and the tanks will extend 3 feet into the teaching lab. Note that there will be complete, full access to the backs of all the tanks.

The big 6 foot x 4 foot x 2 foot tall tank will extend 1 foot into the aquarium support room, while the other six smaller tanks (each with a 2 foot x 3 foot footprint - there will be two rows of three tanks this size) will be flush in back with the wall you see here.

So, the big tank will be viewable from the front and from both sides,, and the complex of six smaller tanks will be viewable from three sides (in the front we'll have the two foot wide faces, and on the sides we'll have the 3 foot faces viewable).

Here again is the diagram (not all details of that tank diagram are still correct - for example, the tank manufacturer convinced us that if the lower tanks are made of tempered glass we don't need to protect them with acrylic):

http://web.augsburg.edu/~capman/photos/CSBRaquaria/December2016_2.jpg
    [​IMG]

OK, back to the actual room now....

[​IMG]

The photo above is looking east (the skyway to the library is visible).

We'll have two large cylindrical 170 gallon tanks for water storage and artificial seawater mixing along that east wall, sort of to the right (and partially in front of) the window.

[​IMG]

The sink above has a deionized water tap, and a regular tap. It also has an additional cold water tap to supply water to a self washing protein skimmer built by Bill Wann in Wisconsin. There is also a second DI water tap under the cabinet to the left of the sink.

Not visible here: There is also a CO2 line that comes in the room in the north west corner. This will supply CO2 to a calcium reactor for the big tank.

[​IMG]

In the photo above we are looking south (and I'm basically standing in the six-tank system as I take this photo).

This space to the right of the sink is about 40 inches wide, and the wall to the right is a little over 11 feet long.

My current plan (revised from the original plan I mapped out) is to put a 7 foot x 3 foot adjustable height heavy duty shelving unit in this space.

This will provide room for:

- some sumps and chillers on the floor,

- on the first shelf a large quarantine tank and another large tank to be used as a staging area for gathering live specimens together for teaching, e.g. in submersed cages (I'm going to use our tanks from our existing original 130 gallon two tank reef system here). Also, there should be room for two algal turf scrubbers (being custom built by Jason Langer) on this shelf.

- on a second shelf (at about head height) I plan to set up the wonderful 7 foot x 2 foot x 1 foot high multicompartment sump that David Grigor built for us at least 10 or 15 years ago, not for use as a sump, but to provide compartments for more biological diversity and/or for spawning pairs of various fish, and/or for growout space should we actually be successful raising up larval reef fish. (The sump has been out of service for some years now, and has been in storage in my garage at home, but it will have a second very useful life soon!)

A third shelf up high will be used for storage.

Then, to the right (when standing facing the shelf unit, facing south) of this shelf unit (basically, directly in front of me from where I took this photo) there will be about 4 feet of space between the end of the shelving unit and the back of the 6-tank system for:

- a professional grade RO unit's tanks (water supply for this is seen on the wall - not where I expected this to be, but it will be OK.. I think....). The tanks for the DI unit might be mounted on the shelf unit - we'll see. And there is a floor drain just slightly out of view in the last photo above that will be under the big shelving unit (another floor drain is located in about the center of the room - waste and wash water from the protein skimmer will be directed to this drain).

- this 4 foot space will also give room for most of the sumps for the 6-tank system - the sumps will be directly behind that tank system, and will be really easily accessed, without interfering badly with access to the backs of the tanks.

- And, this 4 foot space, even with the RO tanks, and the sumps, should provide enough room for comfortable access to everything.

There will be other shelving units elsewhere in the room for various purposes. I'm in the process of finalizing the layout for all of that.

#36 capman, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  17. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    OK, fun comparisons here:

Me standing in the middle of the display aquaria early in the building's construction:

[​IMG]

The same location now (the buckets in the photo below are more or less where I was standing in the photo above):

[​IMG]

Looking east toward the library, early in construction:

[​IMG]

The column seen in the photo above is partially visible behind the wall in this current photo (I was closer to the column in this photo though of course):

[​IMG]

#37 capman, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  18. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Seems to be coming along quite nicely, Bill.

And here's an update on the progress of another build for Augsburg's new aquarium lab.

Way back in February, Bill asked if I was interested in building some ATS units for the lab; four of them, in fact. I said sure.
    After a few months of casual dialogue, we decided to get together and take a look at my custom ATS unit that I have on my 120gal system. Bill had a long list of criteria that he wanted to meet; especially keeping maintenance as easy as possible as students would be responsible for some of this. Bill really liked my design of having the algae screen be separated from the spray bar so it could be easily removed for harvesting. And my design allowed him to have the units placed wherever they were needed and still have access to the screen without worrying about the space required above the unit. I expressed that my main concern would be the possibility of leaking from the front opening if the unit wasn't properly aligned when put back together. We talked for quite some time to find solutions to prevent any leaking and we figured out a couple of solutions. Our first line of defense was to set the door inside of the unit itself so that any leaks would drain back into the unit itself. The second solution was to minimize the amount of play from spray bar over the screen. I eliminated all fittings inside the unit and just have the spray bar slipping directly into the bulkhead.
    Once Bill's list of criteria was satisfied, we decided to go ahead and design the ATS. Bill will be going with two of the larger dimmable LED fixtures which, of course,means a bigger unit. After looking at the design, we started looking at options for the drain and an emergency drain. Bill has a definite penchant for accounting for any or all mishaps before moving forward. Bill asked if the unit could be made taller to account for some added strainers on the drain lines; no problem. The ATS just got bigger.
    With this [final???] change, I was given the go-ahead to make some dust.
    The ATS unit is constructed with ¼" black and clear polycarbonate. There are over 26 separate pieces of polycarbonate to the unit. The unit measures 11"W by 20"L by 15"H. The polycarbonate itself weighs in at 25 pounds. We're making a beast of an ATS!

Here's just a sneak peek of the unit; as of today.

[​IMG]

I have a couple of changes already planned for the rest of the units and I need to add some ventilation holes I missed for the LED fixture.
    I'm currently waiting on some plumbing parts to arrive and an acrylic drawer pull for the door. I need to pick up some plastic canvas to make the screen; 16"L by 9-¼"H. Bill will supply the other LED fixture and then we can test this unit.

• Like Like x 2
  19. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    This really looks wonderful.

Now I will have to figure out how to get this set up on our existing tanks to try it out. Placement will be no problem in the new building, but will be a little challenging in our current space. I was originally going to try to set this up on the system by the windows (since it REALLY needs more nutrient export) and maybe I still will be doing this. But finding a place for this would be easier if I set it up hooked up to our other system- I think this is probably what I will do (I can put it in the spot occupied by the non-functioning Volcano skimmer, which I want to get rid of).

Incidentally, one of the things I really like about this design is not just the ease of maintenance, but that this design greatly reduces the risk of dripping water on the lights, which I see as a super important consideration considering that there will be a succession of different students doing a lot of the maintenance over the years.

20. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Incidentally, in case there are any of you who don't already know this.... Jason is a super cool guy (and I think sort of a kindred spirit in some ways... among other things in terms of our mutual obsession for details!). This process of designing this has been great, and a lot of fun.

I'm eager to see how this unit works out.

#40 capman, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 2