Pico LED Lighting?

Discussion in 'Nano and Pico reef systems' started by coralreefer, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Fish'InMN

Fishies collected:
    Don't ever hook up LEDs to an unregulated power supply, the LEDs will try to pull as much current as they can. Hopefully you just blew one LED up and not all of them.

I also don't think BuckPucks can handle more than 32VDC, so that may be an issue since the adapter could be producing a higher voltage at startup, frying the BP. If all six of your LEDs are in series, you don't need more than 24VDC and, depending on the BP, 1.5Amps. The BP will limit the current and provide the appropriate voltage.

2. OP
    coralreefer

coralreefer I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks! Feel very retarded right now. Should have just done the research again before trying to proceed. I was trying to get by using one of the many AC/DC adapters that my friend (an ex computer tech) had. Now I am realizing I might need to get something more tailored for this project.

I believe you're right; I think the buckpuck has a 32VDC max. I assumed I could go up to 2-4 amps with the power supply but maybe that is what did in the buckpuck/potentiometer. Not sure if it was ever working because I never was able to dim the thing. I guess it could have been bad out of the box...

3. OP
    coralreefer

coralreefer I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Got my new LEDs in yesterday. Have a pretty rough week so hopefully I can get everything wired and going this weekend!

4. Shibbs

Shibbs I like ORANGE!

Fishies collected: