Pipefish/ Seahorse Questions

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Forum' started by Omen, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Omen

Omen I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Hey I'm looking for some feedback and experience from some of you who may have tried this before. I want to know the success rate of possibly having a pipefish and sea horse in the refugium with Marco algae. This is something I hope to do by the end of summer. My concern is temp and flow I hear sea horses like colder temp and low flow so I'll probably have to install another sectional baffle to slow down the flow. What do you think? Are there any other factors I should consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. asreef

asreef Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I've found that my seahorses do just fine in high flow, I have some variable flow set up right now in a 50 cube and I have an MP40 running at 30% at times. They require a large amount of food but that shouldn't be an issue if your fuge is stocked with pods. The temperature is a concern however, all the reading I've done suggests that they are much more prone to infections / disease at anything higher than 75 degrees. I'd highly recommend getting them from a reputable breeder (my favorite is Seahorse Source) to make sure they are eating and the right size.

3. OP
    Omen

Omen I contributed!

Thanks yea I don't plan to get them til the end of summer so I can get the refugium dialed in so they produce the pods naturally. I guess the major concern at the moment is temp then, my reef is usually 77-79 so maybe I should try to slowly change it to 75 however I wonder if this will induce slower growth on corals if it gets colder for them.

4. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Check out ocean riders. You can download a whole manual on taking care of seahorses.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

5. mbauma

mbauma Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Why would you want them in your sump? Seahorses need at least 20" vertically to be happy and healthy. I personally would not want to take such beautiful creatures and put them in a sump. They deserve to be in a species specific tank. I have a 45 gallon Max E Seahorse species tank for reference. I would highly recommend reading Ocean Rider's sea horse training program before you do something like this.

6. OP
    Omen

Omen I contributed!

Yea with the temp concern I don't think the seahorse idea is going to work but it should be good enough for pipefish once I have enough pods by the end of summer. I know a few people that had done this before as long as there's enough pods in the refugium they would do fine and easier to watch since they are like a needle in a haystack in the main display.

7. mbauma

mbauma Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Pipe fish are extremely difficult to keep alive. Even the ones I got from Ocean Rider died after about 4 months and they are captive bread and trained to eat frozen mysis.

8. OP
    Omen

Omen I contributed!

That's why I won't be looking to purchase one til the end of the summer and looking to get pods reproducing naturally in the refugium before even considering getting one.

9. Bob1

Is there anyone that breeds seahorses in the twin cities?

10. mbauma

mbauma Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Not that I am aware of, I spent a couple years researching before I built my setup. Ocean Rider is your best bet. I sold my setup to Tim earlier this year.

11. Fiver

Someone has been selling captive bred baby seahorses on CL for the last few months. I believe they even had pics of the parents at one point, so it looks like a local hobbyist.