Pistol shrimp hitchhiker question....

Discussion in 'Tridacnid and Inverts Forum' started by dougers31, May 31, 2017.

1. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

So the other day I received a zoa colony that had a small pistol shrimp hitchhiking on it. He's about 3/4" - 7/8" long and is mostly translucent gray with black bands on his midsection down to his tail. Would he be safe to add to my display or should I keep him in the sump/frag tank? Sadly, I also had a pink acro crab hitchhike with a small sps colony but I didn't see him till I dipped the coral in "all out" reef dip.... did what I could to save him but he didn't make it. Same thing basically happened with Mr Pistol but he recovered.

2. NinjaPirateAssassin

I personally love pistols, so I would keep it, and get a goby to go with him. Where you keep him kind of depends. Some of them can get somewhat large, and they're burrowers so they can make quite a mess. Will occasionally kill snails that venture too close, but I otherwise consider them Reef Safe. I've had a candy-cane pistol in my 75g for years without issue.

3. LostUnderwater

LostUnderwater Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Sounds like it could be a tiger pistol from your description dougers, like ninjapirateassassin mentioned some get larger this is the type that do. Tigers also are supposedly more aggressive in both defense and potential predation of other live stock. The larger ones are also more likely topple rocks and moving other things you probably don't want moved.

If it's a tiger I would safe reef with caution on threat of livestock and structure.

4. OP
    dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Thanks for the replies... at the moment he's under an inch so will put him in the display. If he gets too big he'll have to find a new home ;)

• Like Like x 1