Power outage alert?

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by csb123, Oct 23, 2017.

1. csb123

csb123 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    The most catastrophic thing that can happen to your tank is a power outage.

Those with controllers may not even know if this happens since the controller and the wifi gets disabled as well.

I came across a product that sends you a cellular text if the power goes out or if there is water on the floor. And it looks like a good deal: $220 for the device and $50/year cellular service through Verizon.
    Check out pumpalarm.com.

To get this functionality for the Profilux the hardware alone is over $500.

What do you folks think? Anyone use one of these?

Sean

2. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Not too tough to do on a apex for under $100 one time cost easily.

Get a 12v adapter for the apex/proflux head unit and a UPS for the 12v adapter, your cable/DSL modem and other associated network gear (switches, wifi router etc.). Setup a alert when a Powerbar looses power (useful for other scenarios too!) and your all sets. Apex alerts once power is restored also.

3. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    The heartbeat feature is really easy and costs zero for apex fusion users. It will alert when looses contact with fusion after X minutes. While this won't isolate the issue as it could be your internet is down but I haven't seen many false warnings so I think it is viable for most people.

4. zoolan70

zoolan70 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    You can get a 12v UPS for the Apex head unit for under $20 used on eBay. Add a small 6-8 outlet UPS for another $50 to keep your internet up for a few hours (good for more than tank monitoring) and you are set. Not sure if systems other than Apex have power monitoring though...

5. OP
    csb123

csb123 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
  6. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Indeed, as David said, you don't really need anything beyond an Apex and Fusion anymore (as long as Fusion stays reliable, anyway). This really is a fabulous feature, particularly for me, since I keep reef tanks at work and I don't quite live there all the time.

If you have Heartbeat turned on, Fusion sends out a message if it has lost contact with your Apex for 30 minutes. As David said, this could be because of a connection problem, or it could be because of a power failure, and there will be no way of telling based on the message. In my case, I got Heartbeat alarms once for a connection problem, and twice for power outages.

In my case, I have it set up to send me e-mail alarms, because my cell phone service does not support the the e-mail to text method that Fusion uses to send text messages, but I'd think with most phone plans this would probably work. I get e-mails on my phone though, just like texts, so it doesn't make that much difference to me.