QT is set up and ready I think

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by RSnodgrass, Dec 29, 2017.

1. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Map
    IMG_20171229_155036.jpg
    I've wanted to set up a bigger system to add in a skimmer but time and space did not permit as I opted to have it at work for now instead of hauling water home.

Basically just a 20gal, heater, pump, added in cycled marine pure blocks after the photo, and a monster UV.

Any suggestions on water change schedule/volume since I don't have a skimmer?

2. marty9876

marty9876 Something funny
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Go big or go home on the UV huh? :)

From my experience what I ended up with was a primary QT/observation tank I ran my peeps through the 'standard QT' routine. Nothing for a week or until eating. Cooper or quinine sulfate (?) for a period of time (7 or 14 days I forget), the big WC/carbon then praziquantel for 7 days. Nor smaller tanks its easier and more effective just to do a 100% WC. I always kept some bio balls in the main system and cycled them out as needed (display > QT > bleach > dry out > display). When things got funky, someone had a baterial infection, assume other peeps didn't need treatment I'd setup a separate tank for that. My primary QT was a 75g so doing certain meds in that was not economical. Just focus on stability - temp and oxygen.

I tried moderate UV and agressive diatom filtration, nothing can compare to chemical attacks. E.g. Cooper and alike.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Map
    Ya I figure it doubles as a water heater lol

4. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Map
    Apparently it was way too much light and is actually working as a water heater so I plugged it into my heater controller to cycle on and off.

Did get some new fish today though!

5. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Map
    QT disaster, lesson learned. Possibly O2 issue, you decide.

I picked up a pair of potter's angles, male naso, and a prior owned and proven copperband from Jen at New Wave... gorgeous specimens! I've always opted to order online and avoid the drive but it was nice to see what I was getting particularly for potter's and know they were eating.

Rushed home and everyone made the trip great but my QT was way too hot. So I was forced to put everyone in the sump. Now this defeats the purpose of a QT but I had no choice and no way to cool the tank and ensure it wouldn't just overheat again during the night until I figured out what was going on for certain and that it wouldn't happen again. I also didn't have my wall to separate the tangs in the main tamk ready since I thought I had time.

Next day (tonight) the QT was balanced and working so I started to put the fish in figuring if there still were parasites I could at a minimum treat those in the QT. Potter's can be touchy but within minutes of the transfer the male was laying on it's side but the female was fine from what I could see. Then the female died over the course of 30min. The male also appeared dead so I messaged Jen I killed the pair she was so excited about...

I then went to pull them and the male twitched was still breathing heavily so not being 100% of what was going on I put a bucket in my tank and dropped the male back in the main but kept its new water separate from the tank in case it died. Within 5min it was semi swimming so in the tank it went.

30 min later he's out swimming and eating. My only guess is no O2 from the temp hike along with the stress of a second move. If so the surface agitation wasn't enough. Left feeling very conflicted about possibly saving the one but knocking off the female in the process.

Salt and water all came from the same source as my main tank. O2 is all I've got to go on, ammonia was 0 which I tested just in case as the QT was running with some marine pure blocks from my tank.

6. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Map
    The naso is a little scuffed from moving but all in all good. I took down the egg create wall this morning and everyone is having a grand time.
    PSX_20180103_182921.jpg PSX_20180103_182702.jpg PSX_20180103_182037.jpg PSX_20180103_181803.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. tthorn125

tthorn125 Keeper Of The Peace
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. O2 shouldn't have been that depleted.

8. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Map
    I wouldn't think so either but I equally can't think of what else would have had the fast of an impact and recovery once removed.

9. Bodegus

Bodegus I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    My guess would be ammonia, with such a small volume it wouldn't take much of a biofilm die off on the pump, UV, or marine pure blocks. The down side with oversize equipment is that it has an oversize bio film contamination. Ammonia lock and 20% water changes every 48 hours and no filtration is a much better option than trying to get a cycle through IMO.

(Hindsight, had everything gone great I would be congratulating you)

10. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Map
    Well I have since expanded my water volume to ~70gal and letting it run for a few weeks. I need to get it ironed out as I'll be attempting to wean a pair of orange spot files.

This time it's basically just a full system...
    -used 40 breeder
    -old 40 sump
    -used skimmer
    -old live rock in the sump primarily
    -old razer lights for the coral
    -ammonia alert tab

#10 RSnodgrass, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  11. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Map
    In this case I'll also be adding a filter sock to be used full time due to the large amount of food I expect to be wasted.
    20180108_214759368.jpg