1. Acanlord.com

Acanlord.com I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    If I run a R/O system directly to a float valve on my tank will the back pressure for the float valve being closed harm the R/O system in anyway?

2. redeclipse6049

Fishies collected:
    Nope, it'll be fine. That's what its there for in the first place. Kinda just like pinching a hose wouldn't blow up your faucet while you're watering your lawn or something...

3. brendondreher

Fishies collected:
    RO unit directly to the tank will wear out the filters and membrane really fast. You want to run your RO unit less times but longer periods of time rather than short bursts frequently.

4. OP
    Acanlord.com

Acanlord.com I contributed!

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for the info! what would be the best way to auto feed it then? I'm stumped.

5. redeclipse6049

Fishies collected:
    I just said something stupid. this post is in memory of what's probably been emailed already to everyone who was subscribed to this thread... :doh:

6. Fragtastic Reef

Fragtastic Reef We Dont Frag Around! Rare fish and more

Fishies collected:
  7. Fragtastic Reef

Fragtastic Reef We Dont Frag Around! Rare fish and more

Fishies collected:
  8. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Like others have mentioned one of the Cardinal Sins is to supply a potentially endless supply of water to your tank. Something goes wrong for example, siphon overflow fails, plumbing leak. Anything that causes the water level to go lower, you will dump RO until you catch it. Could be minutes/hours/days. Ben Nichols ( long time member who is currently out of the hobby ) learned it the hard way. While a plumbing leak may not be fun, you don't want to compound the problem with a freshwater tank.

Also like others have mentioned, it takes about 5 minutes of your RO running before the TDS of the membrane starts to go down. During that timeperiod your DI is working 2-3X harder. So more frequent and shorter the bursts will exhaust your DI.

There are hundreds of different ways to topoff. Gravity fed, float switches/valves, dosing pumps, air pumps, siphon. Most important thing though is to carefully plan. #1 is: If all contents were dumped at once will it overflow my sump/tank and/or cause salinity to drop too far.