Radion Gen 4 xr30 help with settings

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by RSnodgrass, Dec 27, 2017.

1. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Someone with good color under their radion Gen 4 pros please share your settings. I'm having a hard time finding basic info like this vs the legal "every tank is different" answers.

I'm looking at my corals and half seem to be doing well and the other half have gotten pale on the tops. This leads me to believe the light is too intense for them but are only at 25% and most say they are as high as 50%. Also the ones that are doing well are quite dark in color which indicates the opposite of too intense.

I've been adjusting mine up slowly but need input before going further.

Thanks!

2. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

If you're interested, I can send you a template that I've been using for years that has yielded good colors and growth.
    I'm down in Rochester for the rest of the week for hockey, but I can send you the file when I get home. (It may be already in my DropBox; if you have access to that app.)

3. OP
    RSnodgrass

I would appreciate it and I do have Dropbox. I might have an extra color channel or two depending on which version of fixture your running but would still help.

4. OP
    RSnodgrass

Well I've gone eye blind continuing to email and read various "expert" opinions on lighting settings. I know there is a lot of debate over par but I didn't expect to see suggested mid ranges vary all the way from 100 - 600 par (for sps)!

As for the color channel suggestions there is easily just as much inconsistency with the exception of maxing out the blue channels. Ex: red should be anywhere from 5-100%.

I did find it interesting that Ecotec coral lab on the earlier G3's suggested among the lowest parameters topping out at 250par.

The search continues...

5. OP
    RSnodgrass

I was re-listening to the video done by BRS that said the coral lab paper had them running 100% power with 25% red, green, white, & 100% blues. (significantly higher then where I'm at)

I re-read the paper and couldn't find where they used 100% power but rather 50% which seems more likely considering how much light they put out. Their par tops out at 250 where some well known refers are pumping in 6-800 par on the same units in their tanks. On the low end they only have about 50/75 par being used with the lab.

I guess I'll reset to the lab version since it's the closest to what I have now. Tomorrow I'll re-measure what my old razors were doing for par on my ricordia since I can easily recreate that and didn't own a meter when using them.

6. OP
    RSnodgrass

My old razors were running at 250 par 5" under the puck where my ricordia were. I guess they might not like the 100 par they get now.

7. tito

tito Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I tried a few different templates and settled on the Ecotech AB+ template. I was getting the best color and growth with this template.

After 6 months or so I maxed out around 50% intensity on a 20" deep tank with the lights mounted 12" off the water surface. I only ran the lights at 50% for 6 hours a day with a couple hour sunrise & sunset period. I started around 25% and worked my way up slowly by bumping up the intensity a few percentage each week.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    RSnodgrass

Well this seems to have worked well in combination with a few other things.
    I spoke with Brian from one stop and he mentioned that the par meter I was using needs to have the readings converted to be accurate (multiple by 1.08 in my case). The result is the intensity was reasonably higher than expected.

They are on the AB+ template but I reduced to 20% which put most of my par readings between 80 and 130. All my SPS and softies are responding better after a few days. In another week or two I'll likely make another slight spectrum adjustment to a higher K rating.

Few other changes that likely helped reduce the stress was finishing setting up of my carbon reactor. Stabilized the heaters. Adding a cheepo ATS hasn't helped yet but there's simply not alot of algae on it yet.

Extended more then it has in weeks.
    PSX_20180109_183915.jpg

Red war brain opening up
    PSX_20180109_184428.jpg

Sunset monti I moved into higher light area. IMG_20180110_175313.jpg
    PSX_20180109_190013.jpg

Rics are opening much better.
    IMG_20180109_183012.jpg.jpg

9. OP
    RSnodgrass

Pectina is doing extremely well through all of it and in the highest light in the tank.
    15156293076202130859623.jpg