Reactors. Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by Fross, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Hey all,
    Just looking for some advice on reactors. I have been reading up on the basic use cases for most of commonly available and I am trying to decide what I want to implement in my build.

Should reactors be used right away in a new tank? I had thought of going with the BRS dual canister carbon/GFO reactor, but a few things I have read make it seem like they are used more when there are issues in the tank parameters that require Carbon.

One item that really peaks my interest is the calcium reactor. If you were designing a new build, would it be a good idea to go with a calcium reactor rather than dosing pumps? Does the calcium reactor actually negate the need for dosing as I have read?

2. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Lost of reactors in your post...

Carbon reactors are for when water isn't clear, when introducing new fish and coral to limit toxins, and generally for problems.

Calcium reactors replace alk and calc but if you want other micro elements you generally need to dose them.

3. OP
    Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Yeah, I guess it's not a well thought out question. I know each type of reactor has its own benefits and reasons for use. I am trying to decide which ones, if any, are "must haves" in all of your opinions if you were to start a new build.

4. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

A carbon reactor is cheap (single chamber is all I use on my 300 and half is fiberfill). It's not required but proven to better filter water then a loose bag.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DarkSky

DarkSky I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Unless you're going to have a large system (150+gallons) and heavy on SPS, I wouldn't worry about a calcium reactor. They don't really pay for themselves until you're dosing a large amount of alkalinity and calcium (high cost of getting into one).

For the other types of reactors, .e.g. media reactor, you'd probably be fine getting a BRS mini reactor and using an MJ1200 to put flow through it. You'll mostly want to run carbon like Ryan said, but if you need to lower GFO you could always run a mixed bed of GFO and carbon. I did that for years and it worked well.

6. OP
    Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Thanks for the input. There is a calcium reactor on craigslist for 120 and I already own a co2 tank. That's why I was interested in the idea. I do plan on keep sps, but probably not heavy, more equal mix.

7. DarkSky

DarkSky I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Do you have a regulator as well? Those are pretty spendy.

8. OP
    Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Yeah. I used to keg my own beer so I have co2 tanks and regulators, as long as there is nothing actually aquarium specific that would differ.