Red mushroom coral shriveled?

Discussion in 'Young reefing forum' started by MariahABMB96, Jul 4, 2012.

1. MariahABMB96

Fishies collected:
    Hi everyone! I have a question about my red mushroom coral... It's been shriveled lately. My tank is about 12 weeks old and it has this coral, a star polyp, a digitada coral, and several miscellaneous buttons. Every coral except for this one is doing extremely well! My star polyp has grown onto the rock so it's considerably bigger than it was when I got it. The digitada is fuzzy with extended polyps and very healthy. The buttons open up completely and eat rotifers everyday, so they are healthy too. But, my red mushroom has been shriveled lately. For a few weeks it was doing great and opening up super big and now it doesn't open up much at all. Tank specs: 92 gallon corner, calcium-450, KH-10, salinity-1.026, phosphates- <1ppm (I had some dead rock so that spiked. But it goes down a lot with each water change. Plus the mushroom was fine when this was higher.), ammonia, nitrite, nitrate-0, ph-8.3. Its base has been spreading this entire time so I'm wondering if it is just doing this to reproduce? It has been kept in the same spot. I run metal halides, blue actinics, and LEDs at night. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks! P.S. I have a canary wrasse, a royal gramma, 2 ocellaris clowns, and a tomini tang. None ever touch it.

2. Adam G

Adam G Born to Reef!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Sounds like all of your parameters are good. Mushrooms are like weeds and very hard to kill. I would not worry about it and just keep an eye on it. I know people literally cut them into pieces to frag them and the pieces grow into new shrooms. I would guess I have about 300-400 mushrooms in my tank. I have to get in there and start cutting the out. They are taking over. They thrive in high light and low light. Don't seem to mind a variety of conditions.

3. OP
    MariahABMB96

Fishies collected:
    So just let them be? Do you think it's reproducing because of the spreading base? Thanks for your thoughts!

4. Baboo11

Fishies collected:
    My guess would be yes! They tend to spread out like that & then just tear off, then voila'...you have another schroom! :dance: There is a specific name for this type of asexual repRoduction, but I can't seem to remember it....

5. OP
    MariahABMB96

Fishies collected:
    I was looking at them this morning and it's kind of confusing... It looks like there could be more than one now! Lots of wrinkles in weird twists so it's hard to tell. I guess I'll have to wait for the MH to come on.

6. andyb123

Fishies collected:
    I think if your water is testing good and everything else looks good you are most likely right, the mushroom is getting ready to spread. The only other thing may be too much light with the mh are they on the bottom?

7. BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Pedolaceration.

Normally when they are moving around the tank they leave behind parts of their foot. My shrooms normally tend to contort into a hot-air ballon shape when doing this but if you said the base is spreading then it most likely is mving.

Congrats!

8. NickMan

NickMan Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I think you mean Pedal Laceration, I dont even want to know what Pedo Laceration is! lol

9. mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  10. BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    -___________-

11. BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Whoops, didn't realize it got revived.