Red Sea 650 Peninsula Build - Office Build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by DReef, Feb 2, 2018.

1. DReef

TCMAS Member

We just purchased a Red Sea 650 Peninsula Reefer for the office. My coworker and I were in the hobby long ago and I guess the bug never leaves, so we are very excited to get this going and share it with others in the office. My last setup was 10 years ago and after doing our research is looks like many things in the hobby have stayed the same and there are some new exciting techniques out there to explore.

We have a good central location which will allow everyone to enjoy the tank. Some hardware decisions have been made but still debating a few items and looking for input.

Hardware
    Tank - Red Sea 650 Peninsula
    Skimmer - Reef Octopus Regal 200 SSS
    Return Pump - Vario S4
    RODI - DRS 4 Stage
    Powerhead Gyre SF-250
    Lights - Not yet set but we really like the radions
    - Recently saw the Aquatic Life hybrid T5 fixture. Clean look and great spread, any opinions on this one?
    Dry rock is curing at the shop, we don't expect to use a lot of rock as the peninsula does not allow for a rock wall but requires creative stacking.

The sump will have space for a refugium and I would like to run one for nutrient control. Any light preferences here?

Livestock will be mixed reef, LPS on the sand and softies mixed in with a few SPS up higher in higher flow areas.

We will be adding photos when we get started, the tank should be here within the next week!

• Like Like x 1
  2. MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I don't have a lot to compare them against, but the Orphek Atlantik I have is really nice. Nearly silent, very good spread, and bright as you are going to ever want I suspect. I have a single one suspended over a 4' tank and have good coverage.

3. OP
    DReef

TCMAS Member

The tank is on its way and we need to think about auto top off. We have a 75 GPD RO/DI which will be mounted a bathroom with approximately 75' of 1/4" line turn through the ceiling. We've thought about a tank in an adjacent closet, would still need to run water up and over as they are close but not directly next to each other. Ideally we have something like the Tunze RO Controller to fill the top off tank, but not run the RO at low flows. This setup should allow some automation but I am also able to manually turn it off. I'm aware of the potential issues with connecting an RO to the tank and have setup a few safety measures but would appreciate any additional thoughts.
    Top Off Schematic.jpg

4. Andy Kim

TCMAS Supporter

I work with Dan (DReef) and here's a teaser of the location. Blue tape by the column shows the footprint. We were deciding between the 500 and 650, hence the two different taped off areas. Glad we went with the 650 as the 500 might have looked small in that space.

Some of the equipment waiting...

By the way, I can get three 2 yr old Radion XR30 PRO Gen3 for a decent price. Any big downside to buying used? Is the Gen4 needed considering that we aren't planning on doing much if any SPS?

#4 Andy Kim, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  5. OP
    DReef

TCMAS Member

The tank finally made it. A few pics for the evening and I’ll post more tomorrow

0935B983-CE29-41BD-855E-E59E4F290852.jpeg 5F40C035-D65A-41C9-9B2E-558FA3A05306.jpeg 64B03A18-9D5E-4873-A2A5-6A4A89B92CAB.jpeg

6. OP
    DReef

TCMAS Member

Lights are hung and the sump is set, and started filling with water. Now just waiting for the RO to kick out enough water...
    IMG_0060.jpg IMG_0061.jpg

7. cypho

cypho I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Looks nice. Lots going on in that sump. Would love know know what all of that stuff down there is.

8. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

9. coldwaterreefer

coldwaterreefer I contributed!

10. Andy Kim

TCMAS Supporter

Fish are in!

2018-03-16 21_45_10-Photo - Google Photos.png

Well, maybe not. But here's the sand going in.

2018-03-16 21_46_01-Photo - Google Photos.png

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

I like the idea of the sticker fish as a placeholder while you wait :) No one likes an empty tank!

Looking really nice so far, and I especially like the T5/LED hybrid you chose for lighting. Please let us know how you like it down the road as I'm debating on getting a hybrid fixture myself.

12. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

You might already be doing this but consider leaving your lights off for even a month. I believe it really contributed my tank avoiding an algae outbreak by getting a solid bio film on the rock.

Also what's your plan for rock? Already in? Playing Legos at home to find what you want? Winging it? Peninsulas are great for spire elements imo.

13. OP
    DReef

TCMAS Member

RSnodgrass,
    Good advise, we are planning to leave the lights off for some time while things cycle. Fortunately the rock has been sitting, in water, at New Wave for six weeks.
    We are also considering adding Dr. Tim's to kick start the bacteria, thoughts?

People in the office have had fun with the stickers, although now that there is water the next question has been 'when do we get fish?'.

14. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"

I found a very effective way to curtail the constant asking of the "When are we getting fish?" question.
    Place a jar near the tank that will accept donations to purchase the new fish; have them put their money where their mouth is. ;)

When people would continually ask me about when we were getting the shark eggs for my son's independent study project, I told them that the project needed funding to continue forward. That seemed to quiet them for the time being. But once we received the shark eggs, it turned into the "When will they hatch?" marathon. Now that they're hatching, it's turned into the "What happens after the grow too big?" marathon. The questions will never end...

• Like Like x 1
  15. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Put out a few jars with pictures of fish you want and tell people to cast their vote with quarters!

The fast cycling bacteria cultures have worked wonders for me. I've only ever used about 1/3 to 1/2 of the suggested amount. This worked fine as I wasn't dumping a full livestock list all at once.

• Like Like x 1
  16. carter34

TCMAS Supporter

Looks awesome. Hopefully the cycle goes well

17. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Setup looks great so far. I totally agree on the mason jar fish voting if you are open to having a wide range of fish and letting others decide the fate of the tank.

18. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

How about a silent auction style "adoption"? Start with x amount of fish species on silent bidding sheets and whomever is the winner of each, adopts that pet like they would a "beautiful stretch of highway" lol. BUT it's something enjoyable they'd actually see and get to watch grow. Maybe that winner gets to name their adoptee?

19. Andy Kim

TCMAS Supporter

Lots of great ideas! Here's a photo with the lights on. The disco ball effect is strong.

2018-03-29 19_26_09-Photo - Google Photos.png

We've got Jen from New Wave Aquaria coming in next week to do some aquascaping so we're all pretty excited. I'm not sure where the photo below came from, but we're thinking about something like this.

goal.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

Looks really cool so far! I've been doing a bunch of reading on those Aquatic Life T5 hybrid fixtures, seems they're pretty much the best option/combo out there. I notice you say the disco ball effect is quite pronounced, the diffusers for those radions are being raved about by everyone that tries them. Maybe give those a try. My tank won't be set up for another two months and I'm already saving up for that Aquatic Life hybrid fixture. I know it's like asking a guy if he likes his days off...But do you like that fixture? Compared to just the radions alone? Also did you have to change or extend the length of wiring?
    Keep us updated on this build.