Red Sea 650 Peninsula Build - Office Build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by DReef, Feb 2, 2018.

1. DReef

Fishies collected:
    We just purchased a Red Sea 650 Peninsula Reefer for the office. My coworker and I were in the hobby long ago and I guess the bug never leaves, so we are very excited to get this going and share it with others in the office. My last setup was 10 years ago and after doing our research is looks like many things in the hobby have stayed the same and there are some new exciting techniques out there to explore.

We have a good central location which will allow everyone to enjoy the tank. Some hardware decisions have been made but still debating a few items and looking for input.

Hardware
    Tank - Red Sea 650 Peninsula
    Skimmer - Reef Octopus Regal 200 SSS
    Return Pump - Vario S4
    RODI - DRS 4 Stage
    Powerhead Gyre SF-250
    Lights - Not yet set but we really like the radions
    - Recently saw the Aquatic Life hybrid T5 fixture. Clean look and great spread, any opinions on this one?
    Dry rock is curing at the shop, we don't expect to use a lot of rock as the peninsula does not allow for a rock wall but requires creative stacking.

The sump will have space for a refugium and I would like to run one for nutrient control. Any light preferences here?

Livestock will be mixed reef, LPS on the sand and softies mixed in with a few SPS up higher in higher flow areas.

We will be adding photos when we get started, the tank should be here within the next week!

2. MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I don't have a lot to compare them against, but the Orphek Atlantik I have is really nice. Nearly silent, very good spread, and bright as you are going to ever want I suspect. I have a single one suspended over a 4' tank and have good coverage.

3. OP
    DReef

Fishies collected:
    The tank is on its way and we need to think about auto top off. We have a 75 GPD RO/DI which will be mounted a bathroom with approximately 75' of 1/4" line turn through the ceiling. We've thought about a tank in an adjacent closet, would still need to run water up and over as they are close but not directly next to each other. Ideally we have something like the Tunze RO Controller to fill the top off tank, but not run the RO at low flows. This setup should allow some automation but I am also able to manually turn it off. I'm aware of the potential issues with connecting an RO to the tank and have setup a few safety measures but would appreciate any additional thoughts.
    Top Off Schematic.jpg

4. Andy Kim

TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I work with Dan (DReef) and here's a teaser of the location. Blue tape by the column shows the footprint. We were deciding between the 500 and 650, hence the two different taped off areas. Glad we went with the 650 as the 500 might have looked small in that space.

Some of the equipment waiting...

By the way, I can get three 2 yr old Radion XR30 PRO Gen3 for a decent price. Any big downside to buying used? Is the Gen4 needed considering that we aren't planning on doing much if any SPS?

#4 Andy Kim, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018