Red Sea Max E-170

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by zak.payne, Sep 21, 2017.

1. zak.payne

Fishies collected:
    I suppose it's about that time to begin documenting my newest build thread...

I am back in the reefing world after a short hiatus over the past year or so. I originally started my saltwater adventure with the Fluval M60, a 24 gallon AIO aquarium. It was good, but I had my issues with it (although most of those issues probably came from me having no idea what I was doing). Anyway, I told myself never again would I do an AIO cause of the space constraint, but yet, here we are.

I picked up the Red Sea Max E-170 a few months back, and have been taking my time getting things set up and learning from my past mistakes. From a hardware perspective, it's pretty basic:

- RSM E-170 (45 gallons) tank and stand
    - Red Sea protein skimmer
    - 200W heater regulated by an Apex Jr.
    - Red Sea media rack (which I may be replacing with an inTank one)
    - Red Sea return pump
    - Sicce powerhead

...and about 20lbs of live rock for my aquascape.

My stocking plans are not determined yet. I would like to do some things that are more 'unique' since I have a smaller footprint I have to be more picky on what goes in. As for corals, I would like to do a spread of SPS and LPS coral, although that could very well change based on how well things go.

At this time, I have the tank filled and am making final tweaks to the salinity and water levels. I plan to begin the cycle in the next day or so, so there won't be a ton of action on this thread as that is happening. I will post some pictures later today or tomorrow. The ones I have are cloudy from the initial salt addition, and that's just pointless to see.

Anyway, follow along if you're interested...:)

2. OP
    zak.payne

Fishies collected:
    As promised, here are just a few shots of the tank from a few different angles. I wanted to go with a more minimal rock structure that would allow for adequate swimming room for fish, but also to allow for corals to grow to good sizes and really occupy the space.

Currently, the tank is cycling. I began testing today and saw an uptick in nitrite and a slow rise in ammonia. Hopefully things are well on their way and I’ll continue to do my best being patient for the end result.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk