Reef Breeders photon V2 Vs 4 AI primes

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by Nemo's Buddy, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Nemo's Buddy

I have a standard 75 gallon reef that I am looking to upgrade the lighting on. Its 48X18X20. I am currently running the current orbit marine led fixture. Everything in my mixed reef is doing great. I am looking for more spread front to back. I have to many shadows with this light and its par output is on the very low end for SPS.
    I have been researching the Reef Breeders photon v2 and Ai primes. I think I will need four primes for my four foot tank. What I love about my current light is the ramp up and down features. I like how my reef looks a little different through out the day. So I want a light that does that with more light output. Does anyone out there run either of these fixtures? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. mattlucero54

mattlucero54 Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

ive been looking at the reefbreaders for my lagoon 50. $400 over the radion $800. seen some used ai hydra 52s for $400 though

3. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

there is a large following of sb reef lights on reef 2 reef, may be worth looking into. I think you would really like a 6 bulb ati fixture for your tank however.

• Like Like x 1
  4. clownnut

clownnut TUNNWOLC
    Lifetime Member

depend on what your end game for coral is. i love my prime and Hydra 26 hd on my frag and anemone tank.

5. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

I really like the AI primes. I think you might do O.K with even 3 well spaced AI primes on your system. You could always add a fourth if needed.

6. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

I'm putting an SB Reef Lights LED on my daughter's tank. After going through days of comparison threads of reef breeders vs sb reef vs ai hydra vs radion vs generic chinese black box...The sb reef seems to hit the best price to value point I can find. The color temps produced seem to hit the right spot for coral growth especially for the price. They also now produce a higher end version that is getting great reviews. My DT has a Radion G4 pro so I'm trying to stay non-biased as possible, since I WAS shopping for one for my daughter's tank.

7. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

That's the "low end" led conclusion I came to as well... Still have yet to swap it out with my 2 bulb t5 fixture on my frag tank though... It did however get some use at the swap ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    Nemo's Buddy

Thanks for the input. I decided to go a different route. I purchased a 4 bulb t5 retrofit kit at the swap. I am going to build a hood over my tank and put two bulbs in front of my orbit and two bulbs behind the light. I got the kit with 2 extra ballasts for a staggering $10 :) I am going to wire the light so one ballast powers one bulb in front and one in back of my led light. I am going to have my Reef keeper run the light.The Orbit with the white channel and blue channel at 100% puts out very white color light. I plan on getting 3 blue plus Ati bulbs and one attinic Ati bulb. I would like the light output to be more blue in color. I am open to any suggestions as two what bulbs people recommend to accomplish this look. My corals are used to very low par. I plan to turn the t5's on for a hour at noon and slowly add more time to acclimate the corals to more light. My only questions are how far above the water line do I put the t5's and what bulbs to purchase.

Thanks!!