Reefbreeder Photon 48's in a fully hinged hood... help...

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by amonk, Mar 4, 2014.

1. amonk

Fishies collected:
    Hey everyone!

I am about to order a new set of lights. The Reefbreeder photon 48's. My problem is I have a 75 gallon Acrylic aquarium with a fully hinged hood. Meaning you lift the entire hood up, which, contains the lights and ballasts and everything, with two big hinges on the back.

The light will fit into the hood just fine. I have done all the needed measurements base don the dimensions from their website.

I need a way of securing the lights into the hood while maintaining space for the power cord at the top of the fixture but still be able to open the hood for maintenance and feeding without the light banging around inside (if hung). I have seen people do some things with hoods and rails, however, I am not sure this will be a solution since I cannot slide the light into the rails from any given side.

So my question is...

Has anyone ever done this before? If so do you have pictures or a procedure?

I will post pics of my hood as soon as I can get home and do so this evening.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

p.s.
    On a side note I do have one more question. I have been trying to figure out the manufacturer of my aquarium for some time an dI am wondering if anyone here might know. Here is a basic description and a few bad pics that I happen to have here.

The aquarium is a 75 gallon with rounded front edges.
    It has a black acrylic back and a left corner overflow.
    Now the strange part is the entire stand it sits on is the sump and I have it hold about 55g of water. The sump/stand is split into three equal portions with a PVC return that splits and dumps the DT water into the two outside compartments. You access the Sump by pulling a cover/shelf in the front/bottom of the DT. Any help in finding who made this would be appreciated. These are really old photos and the tank is much fuller and is growing out nicely. [​IMG]

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

2. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I have the value fixture, looks to be the same mounting system as photon. I took the light apart, removed the hanging eyelets, put in long bolts with washers and nuts and then hung it on a custom mount. Should work the same for you. I'll get better pics for you when I get home. This picture is of my old light but exact same thing I did on my RB.

[​IMG]

3. kheebl

kheebl Super Moderator
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I can't remember the brand of the tank,I did figure it out at one point when I had it. I want to say truvue but I don't think that is right.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

4. OP
    amonk

Fishies collected:
    That could work but I would have to drill holes in my hood. Which it seems there are some already in it would be nice if they are already the right spacing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. OP
    amonk

Fishies collected:
    Awesome thanks :) I will check that out

6. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    attach a board to your canopy and use the current holes. Then attach the light to the board you installed?

I think you are going to have to drill holes anyway you go. You want it attached to the canopy right? Maybe some metal strips and make a cradle type holder. I just don't know how secure that would be.

#6 BEAV9900, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. OP
    amonk

Fishies collected:
    yeah these are all good ideas keep them coming =] I will take the best of lal of them if possible and come up with something decent. I will try and document it as well.

8. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'd be concerned out heat not venting properly but prematurely burn out the LEDs. Remove the hinges and top altogether. Save it for when you sell the canopy someday.

9. OP
    amonk

Fishies collected:
    The canopy itself has two fans built into it. I'm hoping they can keep good circulation through the hood

10. OP
    amonk

Fishies collected:
    But that is a great idea. However the hinges are built into the DT itself so they cannot be removed and do not look so great when the hood is off. I do not plan on selling this tank so I could dremel them off the tank but that seems risky to me at the moment. =[

11. jerry.womack.92

Fishies collected:
    I'd be able to supply you with some light Gauge stainless steel strip that you could use to from your own brackets if you wanted to try that?

12. OP
    amonk

Fishies collected:
    Well just ordered the light fixture. Unfortunately it's on back order for the 10th. I will try and document the mounting of this since there doesn't seem to be any posts as of yet.

13. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Nice, the photon us definitely on my list of possible light upgrades. Can't wait to hear your review on it. Did you narrow down your mounting options?

14. OP
    amonk

Fishies collected:
    I will definitely do a write up on them once I use them for awhile and get some data. As far as the mounting ideas... I think I am going to go with using the exisiting holes if I can and some rigid extensions on the mounting hardware that is there. That might result in me taking the lights apart and all that, but then I can have some space between the top of the hood and the lights for air circulation from the hood fans and the light fans themselves... Also alleviating the light swinging when I open the hood up for maintenance and feedings. However, I am more worried about getting the current t5's out of the hood currently.

15. OP
    amonk

Fishies collected:
    Well finally 3 weeks or so later after ordering them my lights are finally being shipped today... So hopefully soon I can let the games begin...