ReefKeeper Lite Basic - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by H2OHOH, Nov 20, 2017.

1. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I currently have a 50 gallon reef tank set up, pretty good equipment, no controller. I am mainly doing SPS and plan to do a 10-15 gallon weekly waterchange. I am using Red Sea Blue bucket salt...like the starting parameters. Good water flow, good light, good skimmer, etc...

I currently don't have a controller. Have been thinking about it, but have not done anything. If they were free I would probably get the Neptune fancy system. However, for $90 you can get the ReefKeeper light. I kind of like it just for the temperature if nothing else.

What do you think? Worth the $90?

2. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I am no expert, but I have used the ReefKeeper since 2014 when I set up my 90 gal. tank. Sorry I can not give any details, as my son set everything up for me. It is easy to use, I can check the temp., ph, turns things on and off great. I also wanted something cheaper to see how things work. For me it has been working great. Like I said others who use it would have to give more of the Technical information.

3. Toeknee

Fishies collected:
    I personally would not run an aquarium without some sort of controller not just for the automation of simple things like turning on and off pumps and lights but for the protection they offer when heaters fail....A large amount off reefers are running multiple heaters not because one isn't enough but more for the fact you can set up heater A to run between 74 to 76 degrees and heater B to turn on if the temp falls below 71 degrees and turn off over 76 degrees ...that way if heater A fails in the on or off position heater B will be turned on and save a disaster....Over Time a heater will fail....A controller lets you program each individual outlet based off Time/Temperature/PH and possibly ORP depending on the controller...

4. Reefking

Fishies collected:
    I am also a big fan of the Neptune controller. I check my parameter almost daily and consider it a must have for keeping sps corals.

Regards

5. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Reefking, do you run it on your 300, if so would love to see some pictures of your set up.

6. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm running both a Neptune Apex controller and a DA Reefkeeper Lite; on different systems.
    I have the RKL in my office tank which is a predominantly a soft coral tank so I don't need too many bells and whistles. I, too, believe that a controller of some type is a must to protect one's tank from a faulty heater. I'm also using the controller to run the ATO system; timed program with a dosing pump. So the two biggest worries of a tank crashing (bad heater and evaporation top off) are achieved with the RKL at a significant cost savings.

7. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm not familiar with the specs and abilities of the Reefkeeper units.

If it was me though I'd keep my eyes open for a used older version APEX unit (or APEX junior), basically for the ability to connect via the Fusion system. The "Heartbeat" feature alone would be worth it (sends out e-mail or text alerts if it loses connection to your APEX for a half hour, either because of a network problem, or more importantly, due to a power failure).

In general though: While I don't totally trust these controllers (well, what I mostly don't totally trust is the "energy bars") for super critical life support issues, I think controllers are invaluable on a reef system both for monitoring (and for alarms, as I noted) and to add some redundancy in controls (e.g. a second line of defense against having a system overheat due to a runaway heater, as already noted by others above).

8. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    If you decide to look for an older Apex, I'll have an Apex lite with EB8 for sale in a couple weeks. I'm planning on upgrading to the 2016 full version when the black Friday sales hit.