Returning to hobby

Discussion in 'All things freshwater related' started by laughmaster, Jan 7, 2015.

1. laughmaster

Hello everyone. I am returning to the hobby of freshwater aquariums after being gone for around 20 years. I have a feeling that a lot has changed in that time and I have a lot to learn. So I am posting here to introduce myself and perhaps ask a question or two. I have what I think is a 30 gallon tank setup. Currently there are 7 neons since my 10 year old son really likes neons and I have 6 guppies because I wanted a good live bearer for my son to experience. Which brings me to my first hint that a lot has changed, I just remember there being feeder guppies and fancy guppies. Now there were blue ones, red tuxedo (which is what I got) one, yellow ones and who knows what. Money is really tight so I will be stocking the tank over several months which is good anyways I suppose. I really want to plant the tank because when I used to have a 55 gallon I had it fully planted. But we are hopping to move in the spring so I decided just fish for now. Here are a couple of questions I have. I know I can research and find the info but it is nice to talk directly to people that have experience.

My wife mentioned wanting a pair of kissing gourami's. But aren't gourami's aggressive and I just checked one site and it said they could get up to about 6 inches, seems a bit big for my tank.

My son really wants some kind of crab. I remember when I first started I got an African clawed frog and put it in my community tank. For a while I could not figure out why every morning it seemed that I had less fish. Then I caught on that I might have less fish but a well fed frog. So is there some sort of crab we could get that is not likely to eat all his tankmates?

Thank you and i look forward to replies.

2. kheebl

kheebl Super Moderator
    Lifetime Member

3. OP
    laughmaster

Thank you. I will check there too. My cousin keeps salt water so I asked about a good aquarium forum and was told about this one. I see it is more saltwater then anything else but I liked the fact that it was MN based. I see the other one is too, very cool. Thanks again.