Review of MiniWaters Livestock - Fish order

Discussion in 'MiniWaters' started by acharpenter, Oct 6, 2016.

1. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I just received my second order of LS from MiniWaters today when I arrived home from work and wanted to post a review of my awesome experience (I also kept pics from my first order (inverts) and will post that experience in a separate thread sooner or later).

First - I want to note - it is has become very important to me to really make an effort to only purchase captive bred LS or LS from other members taking down tanks. I really dont want to buy any LS direct from the ocean if I dont have to. I am not looking down on anyone that does, and I guarantee I will still do so here and there - but if I have the choice - I go with captive bred. This is just my personal preference - that is what MiniWaters also supports.

MiniWaters ran a fundraiser sale last week for 20% off after they received a $4000.00 charge back from a previous order (basically it looks like someone ordered a rare clown, rcvd it then claimed they never ordered and/or rcvd it - that case is still being figured out but in the meantime, they are out the $4K).

I had been contemplating adding some fish to my tank for a while so seeing what was going on, secure in the fact that I had a previous positive LS purchase/experience from MiniWaters and wanting to help out a LFS and family dude; this seemed like a perfect opportunity.

After surfing the site for a while I contacted Matt (owner) to discuss the compatibility of different fish he had for sale on the site.

He then spent over an hour chatting back and forth with me via PM answering my questions, letting me know which fish would work with my current stock and actually discouraged me against a couple more expensive fish as he didnt think they were a good fit or he didnt feel the fish was healthy enough or up to par at the time to sell.

After all the discussion - I decided on a trio of Blackline Blennies - I placed my order and waited until the next week for the shipping day.

Disclaimer - my pics suck becuse a member of TCMAS stole my camera in a raffle! You know who you are dude!!!! ;)

My order came to $89.16 but I sent $100.00 and noted the extra was to cover a tip in thanks for all the time he spent with me in choosing my fish.

The next day I received a refund for $2.00 as the shipping came to less than quoted (standard practice for MiniWaters) and MiniWaters also - refunded my entire tip amount - thanking me and asking me to keep the $$ and use it towards a future order : )

With the oddball weather in MN right now - I added a note to my order stating if it is colder out - to have them delivered to my front door where the sun hits it all day long and if it is warmer out - place them next to my garage where they will be in the shade. Note - the way the townhouse I live in is situated - the delivery guy had to walk completely around the building (multiple units) to the front door so it's awesome the company they work with not only reads the special instructions but does go that little extra mile as well. MiniWaters - I suggest you give a call out to the driver and/or Speedy themselves as a lot of the delivery companies wont do that!!!!

Yesterday I received an email with my shipping tracking number and today - came home to a 20"x15"x15" box on my front doorstep (mind you - this is for a few 3" fish) so I was shocked at the size of the box!

Matt actually checked the forecast for Blaine the night before and added delivery notes to place it at the front door as he knew the forecast called for cooler weather!

Opening the box I found a cooler - taking the lid off I found 3 heat packs taped to the underside of the lid along with a black tied bag and a couple air filled bags to help stabilize the black bag from bouncing around. Temp inside the cooler was perfect and there was no leaked water to be found.

Within the black bag I found another "stabalizing" bag along with my bag of fishies!

The fish were triple bagged in a huge bag with plenty of water and air...and had no leakage what so ever.

After drip acclimation they are now in an acclimation box for the night!

PS - check out one of my awesome bonuses that came with my order:

I am super pleased with MiniWaters - cant recommend them enough - they are based in Duluth so overnight shipping is cheap and the travel for the LS is minimal. MiniWaters goes the extra mile in all facets of the order and the customer service is TOP NOTCH

So - if ya cant tell already - I highly recommend MiniWaters!!!

Thanks Matt!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 acharpenter, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. OP
    acharpenter

Fishies collected:
    This was just pointed out to me - had no idea. So to be clear - not only did I recieve the magazines as a bonus - in case you didnt notice, I recieved 4 Blennies instead of the 3 I ordered. I still sent MiniWaters $$ for the 4th - but totally appreciate this!!!!

I didnt want to emphasize it in my original post as I dont want peeps suddenly asking for an extra fish when they place thier order with MiniWaters

But seriously - had no idea about this Extra that may come into play - how cool - thanks dude

http://www.miniwaters.fish/shipping/

A Note About Extra Fishes

There are times when I may include extra fishes in a shipment; this is solely at my personal discretion. If you ASK for extra, I guarantee I won’t send anything extra! Heck, I might even short your order just to hit the point home! So don’t ask…it’s greedy.

Extra fishes are typically included, at my discretion, with larger orders of multiple fishes (eg. a dozen or more of the same variety). Generally, I include something extra to help defray shipping costs and / or to account for any personal differences of opinion on the conformation or patterning of a fish (eg. misbars, designer variations etc). Generally, anything “extra” is simply going to be more of what you already ordered (eg. I’m not going to send you a bonus Yellow Tang if your entire order was rare clownfishes). I only send extra fishes when I know there won’t be any issues with the surprise extras on the receiving end. If I’m considering sending you something extra and I’m not sure, I may ask before I send.

Any extra livestock I send with an order will be used to offset any DOAs before any credits or refunds are issued. For example, if you order 12, and I ship 13 and 1 dies, you have no DOA claim. If 2 die, you have a DOA claim on 1 fish.

#2 acharpenter, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. KJoFan

KJoFan Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Glad I wasn't the only one sure I was counting 4, not 3 fish in the acclimation box! :biggthumpup:

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    acharpenter

Fishies collected:
    Seriously, after I got them in the catch box to dump them into the acclimation box - I was like WHAT? There is FOUR!!!!???? lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. MiniWaters

MiniWaters Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    And I simply wanted to say that Angie had NO obligation to send "$$ for the 4th"...that was supposed to be a bonus since she was under the minimum order for the 20% off sale. I feel like Angie and I are just going to wind up trying to "out generosity" each other LOL! Who sends a "tip" with their order? ;)

Seriously though, thanks Angie for doing this. Full disclaimer...Angie has known me for years, and I had absolutely no idea she was going to write up this review. I'm just happy to hear that she's happy, and that she loves the fish I helped her select even more than when she was looking at the pictures online.

AND, I also need to stress...I do also wholesale fish too, so while Angie made a point of reaching out to me as a LFS, in fact all the MN LFS's are able to set up wholesale accounts and get these same great fish for you. So if you see something at MiniWaters and but also want to support your favorite shop down in the cities, why not try to do both and see if they can order it in for you (not everything I offer can be wholesaled though, and there is a wholesale minimum order (so no, I can't wholesale a single fang blenny down to your LFS..that doesn't make much sense).

Anyway...I appreciate the support Angie. The update on the chargeback is that, for the moment, I have my funds, and it sounds like I might get to keep them. I did another check-in tonight, and noticed that the "chargeback" reason / code that was initially included with the chargeback has changed to "other" and no actual code. So...this *could* be a case of a customer making a mistake??? I'd like to hope that, but honestly, don't have a clue right now. It'll be another 85 days or so before I KNOW I'm in the clear.

6. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    WOW that is a super good way to do business. I will have to remember them when I order new fish. Great report, from both sides.

7. OP
    acharpenter

Fishies collected:
    Yes, yes sir we are lol

and I see no problem in any industry for tipping when the service was excellent

All 4 are still happy and I love how they hang out in the front center of the tank - ya told me they would but after all my other livestock have thier spots and never come out into the open - I wasnt going to hope

These guys are awesome - fang blennies are going on my fav fish list

8. mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    It's always nice to hear positive reviews of a business. Most of the time we only hear the negative.