rlinusc and the case of the 125G Mixed Reef Tank

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by rlinusc, Jun 1, 2015.

1. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    an update:

I installed the Apex (username is rlinusc)
    Installed a BRS dual chamber for GFO and carbon in the sump,
    Installed the single WAV pump, i needed to directly to Neptune in order to get the 1link separately. The price ended up pretty much exactly what a single Quiet Drive 40 would have been.
    I got the DIY screens, but haven't installed them yet.
    I also got a used Remora skimmer- i am only planning on running the skimmer 1x a week.

So...

Filtration- Liverock/sand (duh), L2 ATS, Running carbon and GFO, Filter sock (though it is not installed properly). IN the refugium i am also growing Chaetomorphia and on a lark some mangroves (they just sprouted from the pods).

For the sump i am using a 40gallon Breeder with baffles. Right now there is about 20 pounds of live rock in it, i will likely increase to 30 pounds in the near future.

Circulation: Gyre 150 and WAV pump.

Light- 1 Maxspect Razor 16 watt, and 1 MaxSpect Razor 15W, 1 AI Hydra 26. I would like to get a 4th light but am waiting on getting a canopy for the lights.

Livestock in the display tanks are

pair of ocellaris from patent
    diamond goby from RandoReefer
    hairy green mushrooms and chalice from flounder
    toadstool, purple gorgonian, kenyan tree and single green mushroom from dustyhike
    3 kinds of xenia (pulsing and non), a frag of blue coral, 4 zoanthids polyps, black sponges, a gorgonian, encrusting gorgonia, a small leather. All of which were from Capman's generousity. I unfortunately lost a Sinularia frag from capman which was not attached well and got blown away after i installed the WAV and i could not find it despite its bright green color.

I also have 2 emerald crabs and 1 peppermint shrimp.

For my quarantine tank i have
    1 sixline wrasse (from Rando)
    3 bangaii cardinals (from Petco)
    1 cleaner hybrid goby (from live aquaria)
    1 watchman goby (from live aquaria)

My wish lists still include-
    candy cane coral/brain coral, a clam though that will wait for a few more months, a colt /hammer/frogspawn. I would still like to see if i can get the clown pair a home. More mushrooms- the various colors will be great, another gorgonian, perhaps of a different color though it looks like non-purple gorgonians are harder to keep. And i may want a couple more types of zoos.

for fish i am looking at possibly some blennys (perhaps fang ones? or anything with a bright yellow color) and a dottyback. I am unsure yet, i thought i wanted a black neon dottyback, but may go for a different brighter color.

I will try and post pictures later tonight

2. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    There is an apex thread somewhere with everyones names so you can see others setups post yours to that ( if you want ). I added rlinusc as view only for mine. You should see it in your apex list in fusion.

3. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    unfortunately I think I fried my controller today- will hopefully get mine back running soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    here are some recent images. I am only now learning about my Nikon ds3100 and so please forgive the poor quality.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#44 rlinusc, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  5. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I am bummed... my cleaner goby hybrid has gone missing the last couple of days. Lately he was becoming much more active and seemed to be in good health, but now 2 straight days without seeing him at all is a bummer.

6. Fish4Me2

Fish4Me2 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    So sorry about the goby. Hopefully he's just hiding somewhere and you'll see him again soon.

Other that that news, everything seems to be going great! Now is the hard part: patience in filling it up with livestock!

7. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    yeah i have an orchid dotty back and a yellow assessor in quarantine for the last two weeks..

8. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Corals (from swap) added:

Orange Yuma
    3 Acan frags
    red mushroom rock
    hammer coral bi-color
    Purple trumpet (2 frags)
    bubble coral
    gorgonian
    red monti
    Starburst monti
    3 sexy shrimp

Added from quarantine tank yesterday
    Yellow assessor (already out and about)
    Orchid dottyback (also mostly out)

I am a bit worried as my Diamond goby starting on Sunday evening has started to hide in his area and hasn't come out since then. He is definitely alive and was doing his thing on Sunday day. My only concern is that maybe the pistol shrimp tagged him? (the shrimp is paired with my yellow watchman goby)

9. BlacknBlue2

BlacknBlue2 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I had a yellow watchman and pistol shrimp combo and added a diamond goby. It hid for several days and in eventually came out when I thought it was dead. It swam by the watchman and it would act all tough and back the diamond up a little but nothing more than that. It definitely had my sand all churned up and the goby and pistol shrimp moved alot. So I don't think you have to worry much.

10. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    good news, my diamond goby is out and about again and things seem to be adjusting well. i still can't find a good spot to attach a blue coral frag that capman gave me- poor thing has wandered throughout the tank.

11. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    My advice on coral placement is that once the frag has acclimated to your lighting and flow, just pick a spot and stick it.
    The longer it keeps getting moved around, the longer it takes to encrust and start growing.
    I've lost way too many frags waiting for the perfect location to become evident.

12. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    so here are some new pics- a quick update my frags are all doing well with the exception of my bubble coral where about 1/2 orbit is not inflating well. My yellow assessor got a case of popeye in only one eye- he is otherwise active and healthy so I am hoping that it was caused by eye trauma and will resolve itself. I got a large canister filter and running it and things seem to be okay.

I also finally got to put on a beautiful canopy made by Jason. Airbus quite nice. My picture skills are still poor but the canopy is nice!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    so I don't have any new tank pics- but should soon- but here is the latest edition to my family! (born April 12). [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. jlanger

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Congrats, Linus!

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Here are some tank pics-

I have added my first sps with Jason's forest fire and my mom and I picked up a small acro from New Wave on Memorial Day. (also got a small favia frag.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

everything in tank is growing well and my livestock is doing great- no losses since my assessor and hybrid goby passed several months ago.

I have been battling red cyano- so j added a second Wav pump. My Dow is now 2 Wav and a gyre 150- I am about to also add 2 T5s to go along with my led lights as I am planning to add a deresa clam soon.

I do need some help with fragging. My main gorgonthian is doing extremely well but I wonder if it will run out of room in my tank. My chalice is also getting a bit too big on its current rock.

I might ask if someone would be willing to frag some pieces for me in exchange for some sad pieces.

16. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Staff Member Site Admin Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I bet you'd get more frag help offers if you give them happy pieces :)

17. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    ugh typing on a phone- yes you can have as many happy pieces as you like.. and Dow is actually flow...

18. jlanger

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'll post an update for Linus...

About a year and a half ago Linus asked me to build him a canopy for his system to cover up his lighting over the tank. And just this week, we finished the project with the installation of some panels and custom made doors.
    Here's what the stand looked like when I visited back in February to get measurements and discuss the final details of the project.
    [​IMG]

When it came to the design of the canopy and stand surround, we looked at the built-in cabinetry of his bungalow-style home. The cabinet doors have prairie-style mullions that we wanted to incorporate into the canopy and stand design.
    Here's a picture of the built-ins that we used for inspiration.
    [​IMG]

I designed the surround to include two flush side panels, a sub-face frame, an overlay face frame, a top trim over the panels and the pair of doors. The doors have the same prairie-style mullions of the built-ins upstairs and line up perfectly with the canopy above.
    And here's a couple of pictures of the completed project.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks, Linus.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I was just getting around to posting pictures of your beautiful stand skin. So sorry i hadn't done it before, and now i see you did! Thank you so much. Really it kicks some serious butt. This was installed just before i had a cascade of trouble with the tank (return pump failure, failure of some of my lighting). With the new stand skin i also re-did my wiring for the sump and feel much better about it.

Thanks again Jason!

My livestock and corals are all doing well, though my anthia are kind of growing out of control. My only sad report is the loss of my diamond goby. I am unsure of what caused its demise- it was doing really well, then disappeared one day and a day later i found it's corpse on the sand.

I am now searching for some new fish. As you have seen my prior postings about a leopard wrasse and midas blenny.

Sadly my picture taking skills are still poor. The tank looks good, but i have crappy pictures like these.

Attached Files:

20. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    So I really need help with taking pictures-- one day I will try and bribe Jason.

Some quick updates- the tank is doing very well. my corals are all growing and some growing too much. I lost some candy canes a while back as they fell and landed on my chalice. My gorgonians are still growing (and available for people for frags if interested). I need to get rid of the Kenyan tree as they have propagated all over the place. The hairy mushrooms are still doing quite well as the montis. My tort is doing so so, the colors are mostly purple with some green though it has grown a bit. My milli is also doing okay though the coloration is'nt great. my deresa clam is also doing well though he keeps falling over and I have to reposition him and he has a couple of Kenyan tree frags growing on his shell which is annoying.

As for fish- I got rid of 2 of my bangai, and just last week added a hooded fairy wrasse and 2 mollies to the tank. the wrasse has grown on me- I got him back in Early July and had him in QT- still juvenile and not sure if still female, but stunning nonetheless. I got my mollies during the QT period to help make sure no diseases were present as I did not treat with copper. (I just went with a super long QT period, heavy feedings and using the mollies to make sure no diseases present). The mollies make an interesting addition as surface swimmers.

Yesterday I added a Midas blenny (also QT'd) since June, and he is doing well. I just got from New Wave a juvenile pintail in QT.

Hair algae has been an on again off again issue. It comes in waves- for a while my tank would be crystal clear from algae, and then it will slowly creep back in and I start to have to pull it out from the tank. The harvest from my L2 scrubber will vary. I tried using an Ai hydra as a Refugium lighting but just tonight it went kaput. Need to decide if I am going to bite the bullet and get a Kessel 380

Anyway if people want Kenyan tree or gorg frags just ask.

I have been dealing with low all lately, I just don't think i am adding enough kalk and using it through my ato is not ideal. I am going to set up a dosing system and add the kalk directly to the tank rather than via ato and maybe i dont have to try and use 2 part.