RO/DI cloudy water? Is RO/DI safe to drink?

Discussion in 'Answers to the most commonly asked questions asked' started by jakfri, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jakfri

Fishies collected:
    I just installed a drinking water RO/DI system that I picked up at BRS(thanks guys). I was wonderering if anybody has experience with these setups. The DI water comes out clear as can be. When the RO water comes out of the spout that came with the system it is cloudy at first and then clears up. Is this normal? My theory is that the water is grabbing oxygen out of the air since it gets stripped out during the RO process. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    Jake

2. lizmomdad

Fishies collected:
    I've heard that you shouldnt drink DI water

3. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Did your run at least 5 gallons through the unit before hand. The membranes are shipped with a perservative and you need to run it to flush it all out. Best to flush without DI running.

Drinking DI is only a concern in extreme situations. If your on a hunger strike or fasting where you not getting any minerals/salts from food it can be a problem. Not if say your eating a bag of potato chips with your water.

Any water tap or DI, if you drink too much too fast ( but again we are talking extreme situations ) can kill you. A lady died several years back in a "Hold your Wee for a Wii" becuase she drank too much water and died.

But he is right that if your using for both tank and drinking that you should T off ( with check valve ) to go to the DI only for the tank. No need wasting DI for just drinking water.